PDA

View Full Version : Pluggin the waste gate???

01F350SRW
11-19-2002, 19:20
Ok, I've heard you guys talk about it. I know what the waste gate is and what it does, but do some of you guys plug them up??? Is there an advantage here (more boost)??? If so how and where are u guys plugging them up at? Also what bad could come out of doing this????

Thanks Fellas

F350

mackin
11-19-2002, 20:28
01F350SRW

What you need to do is get some 5/16 vacuum plugs and small spring clamps put them under your pillow and wait for the "WASTEGATE FAIRY" to come.....He'll know how and where to plug once he takes the six inch or so piece off of rubber hose......

Rumor has it yes on more boost and cooler EGT'S (Minimal).....
Downside don't know yet !!!!!! Being caught by the DEALER FAIRY ??? Or is it fairy at the dealer???? :confused:

MAC :D smile.gif

[ 11-19-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

Kennedy
11-19-2002, 20:54
FWIW, I've had mixed results by doing this. Nothing conclusive, but TQ/HP peaks appeared to come in a bit earlier, AND lesser, but again, this was VERY informal and non scientific.

Suffice to say that there is an efficiency "window" where the back pressure/boost pressure is "happy." Simply blocking the wastegate could take things beyond this "window" and actually DEGRADE performance through excessive EBP (exhaust back pressure) and IAT (intake air temp) but again, until someone does something more scientific...

Diesel Freak
11-20-2002, 00:35
All turbos have a certain Map that they are most effecient in. Once you get above that map, you build alot of heat and require too much drive pressure to turn the pinwheel. The Holset on the Cummins would start to get out of its Map around 30 psi, stock wastegate is set for 20, so yes you do see gains in all aspects by restricting the wastegate. On the Cummins you WILL see more power, and cooler EGT. If you disabled the wastegate and ran up around 36 to 38psi of boost, you would start losing the benefits. If somebody could actually find a Map for whatever the heck turbo we have on our rigs, then we would have concrete evidence that would say whether or not to block the wastegate.

I'm assuming by what John has said, and the few others noticing minimal change, our turbo gets out of it's Map around 25psi. On the Cummins I would see 200* EGT drop from the difference of the wastegate being set at 20 vs. 30, also a VERY noticable gain in power. If you aren't seeing the difference, why stress the turbo by spinning it harder?

Jerry