PDA

View Full Version : Photo "Proof" - Fouled Injector and Bad Filtration?

Captain Mal
02-24-2003, 21:35
Click on this link for a peek at my #3 injector as removed today.

http://photos.yahoo.com/captainmal1

Enlarge the look at the fuel line going in and you can clearly see all the debris ready to run into the injector. Injector #'1, 5 & 7 also had a fair quantity of debris in their fuel lines. They are still working but for how long?

A real pain to get to the injector but a bigger disappointment to see all the crud that has passed the fuel filter. Somehow, this poor filtration has to be delt with. It is not easy nor inexpensive to change injectors.

Those other pictures show a couple of trailers I delivered and a past and present 'customer' of mine.

Kennedy
02-24-2003, 22:44
Well, the pics aren't there yet, BUT I will caution you as to what is blamed for the debris. Dollars to donuts it is simply sludge from between the injector line and the nut as the exposure from above allows crap to get in between and then release when unscrewed.

BTW, I'm sure a LOT of warranties were denied by ignorant dealers who blame this sludge on the owner...

srubrn
02-25-2003, 12:13
Capt.

Yahooo says your album is empty.

Captain Mal
02-25-2003, 17:08
PILOT ERROR!

The photo's are on-line now.

That kind of crud was in all the lines. It did not look like it came from the action of disconnecting the line but that is possible. Sure lots of material 'down in'.

Kennedy
02-25-2003, 17:16
GM has a bulletin or service procedure for this that involves a shop vac :rolleyes: and an attachment to suck out any crud prior to unscrewing them.

Your problem area will undoubtedly be in the delivery nozzle area.

GM Smitty
02-25-2003, 17:19
Hey Captain...are you using any additives? Might help keep things cleaner?

KompressorMan
02-25-2003, 19:49
In July of last year I did without my truck for 2 weeks because of the same problem. What I saw in mine was about the same as I see in your pics. I can tell you first hand, that crud didn't go through the filter.
Herb

D-max Man
02-26-2003, 06:30
The injector lines are sealed at the bottom with an O-ring seal but the top is not sealed so that if an injector starts to leak at the line, the fuel will go up and out the top (Outside the valve cover) instead of getting into the oil.

The down side of this design is that debris will build up between the line and the nut and when you take the line loose for service, the debris will fall into the injector. Look closely at the injector and you will see that the rust/debris line is above the point where the fuel line contacts the injector only and below that line, it will be clean.

As Kennedy stated, there is a procedure for cleaning that uses a shop vac to remove the debris from the injector.

DO NOT USE SHOP AIR TO BLOW THE DEBRIS OUT!!!

That would force the debris deeper into the injector where it will cause problems.

Captain Mal
02-26-2003, 06:45
THANKS GUYS!

The truck is running but I am temporarily 'retired' from towing to avoid those snowstorm blues. Won't know how it really worked out for a while but ....'I did everything wrong'.
Even had to dissassemble/reassemble twice as the first time it threw an electrical code on #1 injector. Never found anything but it works.

It's probably best to just take it to the dealer and get my behind reamed than try to do the 'reaming' myself. I never learn. Of course, I did catch 14 trout, a snook, ladyfish and redfish yesterday.

tmorris
02-26-2003, 12:35
Could someone point me to the actual tech bulletin?

Am I to understand that this can happen when changing the fuel filter?

Could the dealer void the warranty if I'm doing my own work unaware of a tech bulletin?

Thanks,
Terry

tmorris
02-26-2003, 12:47
Could someone point me to the actual tech bulletin?

Am I to understand that this can happen when changing the fuel filter?

Could the dealer void the warranty if I'm doing my own work unaware of a tech bulletin?

Thanks,
Terry

oyazi
02-26-2003, 18:19
What gives w/our injectors??

Those on my rabbit have been working w/o event for 19yrs and 11mos so far. Think I changed the filter twice in 270K miles and drained it twice (real bear to get at). Should we expect anything less on our newer diesels?

Captain Mal
02-26-2003, 19:37
tmorris & oyazi,

This crud falls into the injector lines after removing the valve covers and unplugging the injectors. The fuel filter does not cause this. but then again, maybe it does.

Expect less than the VW 'wabbit'. At least that is my experience but I am not even close to competent on this issue, let alone an expert.

Oh ... I would not replace an injector myself again unless I owned a Tech 2 and knew how to use it. By the time I bought the injector, gaskets, coolant, and many misc. things I needed, there was way more to do. I had to "rent" the diagnostic tool and someone to read it. Then it took many looks at the computer and disc from GM to figure out wiring drawings, procedures etc.

Then there was the basic 'dumb' of unplugging and rebuilding all the connections. I was even so stupid to have to call someone and confirm that I was removing the proper side of the engine to get to number 3 cylinder. Found out I had started to remove the wrong side.

Bottom line for me was this was a full two-day job for me and, with all my consultations and running around, it still cost me over $700. I don't know what a dealer would have charged but it would have been worth it.

Now I hope it continues to work.

Kennedy
02-26-2003, 20:47
Mine always had a couple/few of injectors that balanced around 2.8mils. Last trip, my mileage was up, and now, looking at the balancing rates, all tend to hang below 1.8mils or so. Possibly the effects of cleaner fuel???

One thing to keep in mind is that the balance rates are always changing, and the engine must be fully warmed and stabilized before passing judgement..

D-max Man
02-27-2003, 09:42
The debris will only fall into the injector if the fuel feed line to the injector is loosened or removed. If you need to remove these lines for any reason be sure to vacuum (not blow) out the debris before re-assembly.