PDA

View Full Version : what is that smell

solongpowerstroke
11-19-2002, 19:28
While I am asking questions, anyone have any ideas as to why I can smell engine coolant outside of my truck? About two weeks ago, my low coolant lite came on and I had to add a little more than a 1/2 gallon of coolant. Can`t see any leaks under the truck.

chuntag95
11-19-2002, 19:33
I had the exact same thing happen. It was a leak around the injector cup seals. The dealer had to test all cylinders for coolant and reseat all of the cups that were leaking. Check out http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/duramax/injectorcupweb.htm to see exactly what that is and means. It does make you wring your hands while the dealer had it in pieces. Hope this helps.

Maverick
11-19-2002, 23:02
You most likely have an injector cup seal leaking like Chris said or have a leaking head gasket like I had. In both cases these failures will pressurize the cooling system with combustion gases and cause the coolant to blow out the overflow hose. Do you notice a black powdery residue in your coolant? Is the plastic tank still clear? Mine had black stuff collecting to the sides of the tank. Also was your tank cap under alot of pressure when it was hot or cold? The tank cap is set to 15psi. Anything over this will blow out. Mine would hold pressure at 15 psi hot or cold and would hiss and blow collant out if opened to fast. Let us know if you have these symptoms. This is getting to be more of a common thing which is sad to say. There have been quite a few on this page and here in Alaska also with these same problems besides me. Let us know.

I see you are from GB. I graduated from Green Bay Southwest in 87'. Know anybody in Howard?

[ 11-19-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>