PDA

View Full Version : Racor Fuel Filter Assembly Installed With a Twist

56Nomad
02-24-2003, 23:42
DONE!
It's installed! Many thanks to all that have
contributed to helping me get this project completed.

I went with the Racor 600 filter base as Ritchie Hays has
done. One twist....... I added a 1/2" petcock valve on the
top of the assembly so I could bleed the air out of the filter
without using the OEM manual pump. I added a small amount of
air pressure to the fuel tank via the filler which moved the
fuel into the filter canister and topping off out of the petcock.
The system then was primed with no mess.

I liked this set up because of the visable water separator
claiming "near 100%" water separation and easy draining.

Worked like a charm. Engine runs fine. No leaks so far :D

The entire project with bracket, base, filter, fittings, hose, clamps
puts me at just over $100

Pictures at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/64740617IuEplR

[ 02-25-2003: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]</p>

Tudge
02-25-2003, 07:57
Just curious - did you use the 2 micron filter - or the 10 micron filter as Ritchie Hays did???

56Nomad
02-25-2003, 08:15
Tudge,

Ritchie installed a 10 micron for initial installation as his supplier didn't
have 2 micron in stock.

I installed the 2 micron filter and I used the R60 filter size.... but I still
have room for moving up to a larger size R90. I think it is about an
inch longer :D

hoot
02-25-2003, 08:27
Nomad,

That's real cheap insurance. This is something I definately want to do. Would it be possible to get the exact part listing and suggestions on where to purchase all the required items the way you did yours? I know there's an article but all it says is you might be able to get stuff from Gates.

I noticed you eliminated some of the fittings in the article. I would like to use the fittings you used.

Also, is the bracket bolted to the floor board or some other member?

Thanks.

[ 02-25-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

56Nomad
02-25-2003, 08:40
Hi Hoot,

I got the filter and assembly from DIS although they cautioned
me about using the 2 micron filter..... "buyer beware"
They suggested the 10 micron as recommended by Racor.

The rest of the stuff you can get locally:

I purchased the 1/2" Hi-temp Parker hose, clamps and simple
1/2" brass barbed fittings at the local automotive store.

I purchased the 1/2" petcock at our local Orchard Supply Hardware
store. $3.89

hoot
02-25-2003, 08:42
Simple enough. Thanks for the quick answer.

Did you fab your own bracket like the one in the article?

BTW: I just ordered the base and the 690 R2 filter from DIS. There also is a heater available. I didn't feel it's necessary in my neck.

[ 02-25-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

56Nomad
02-25-2003, 09:33
Hoot,

I had some 1/4" angle iron available.... which
is kinda overkill, but since I had it, I used that.
A picture with dimentions are at:

http://community.webshots.com/album/64032822eXTZxX

Aluminum angle iron would work just fine.

hoot
02-25-2003, 09:50
Perfect. thanks.

roegs
02-25-2003, 12:37
This looks to be a pretty good solution. I'm still a newbie at this filter stuff, and am a little confused after reading all the other info on filters (including Ritchie's). I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone will not mind answering.

1. In the other discussions on filters, it seemed as if many agreed to put the extra filter downstream from the OEM filter. This one appears to be upstream. Is one better than the other?

2. Why does Racor frown on using a 2 micron filter?

3. Does a heater need to be used for installations in cold climates? Does the GM OEM filter have a heater in it?

4. Is the kit that Racor coming out with going to be upstream or downstream from the OEM filter?

Thanks!

[ 02-25-2003: Message edited by: roegs ]</p>

hoot
02-25-2003, 12:56
Racor is concerned about flow. That's why I'm going with the large filter.

I figure a large filter early on will allow sufficient flow and and hopefully just add that much more filter media to the entire process.

If I have flow issues, I'll simply switch to the 10. Common sense though would be catch the big chunks first. I just like the idea of catching all.

They asked if I wanted the heater. Two things...

My area doesn't really get below 10F deg often. If you do get the heater, obviously there is some circuitry required. I believe a relay and a control line from the existing heater which answers the next question... yes the OEM filter is heated.

Toddster
02-25-2003, 16:04
Ok guys I'm confused....I went to DIS, for Racor complete filter systems with built in primer they list 445R, 460R, 490R...Then they give a list of replacement filters...Nomad states he used a 600 filter base and a R60 filter, I see the R60 filter but no 600 base :confused:

56Nomad
02-25-2003, 16:33
Toddster,

The 400 comes as an assembly. Base (with
primer) + filter + Water Separator.

The 600 also comes as an assembly, same
as above, but the base has no primer.

The 445 460 490 indicate the size of the filter
cartridge which corresponds to the 645 660 690 (These are the model #'s of the complete
assembly)

I don't know if the 400 series cartridges are
interchangible with the 600 series.

Both the 400 and 600 series have 2, 10 and
30 micron filters available S=2 micron, T=10 micron, and P=30 micron.

Toddster
02-25-2003, 16:52
Thanx Nomad...So the only difference between the 400 and 600 series base is the built in primer and list price ? Why did you choose not to go with the primer model ?

LanduytG
02-25-2003, 17:22
The 400 series is much more restritive tha the 600 series and its all do to the primer pump. But both series take the same filter elements. We will have some brackets ready to bolt on and powder coat soon.

Greg

Brent - DIS
02-26-2003, 09:28
The 600 series is being added to the website today. We do have it on the website for a Powerstroke Mod that Racor makes.

http://www.dieselpage.com/rac99upao.htm

You can always put in comments that you want a different micron size.

On the 400 series page (soon to be 400/600) you will pick the micron size once you put the filter unit in the cart.

Sorry for the confusion and yes the filters are the same on both the 400 and 600 series.

dieselburb
02-26-2003, 12:50
Did anyone mount their filters below the fuel tank, and if so, why wouldn't the fuel line syphon? If that was the case, you would not need a primer, air pressure or anything but gravity. Use a ball valve to open the fuel flow at the inlet side of the filter and open the bleeder screw when you change the filter. Right?

56Nomad
02-26-2003, 14:06
dieselburb

Hanging these filters under the trucks makes them
a great target especially if you do any off roading. It would
be best to hang the assemblies as high as possible.

I wouldn't want to hit that plastic drain nipple with
anything but a feather :D

I'm even fabricating a skid plate for protection.

Ah..... what the heck, I'll just buy a lift kit :eek:

[ 02-26-2003: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]</p>

zip
02-26-2003, 15:01
Not only the filter, but the hoses as well.It's possible that a stray stone or rock could damage either. I think a check valve in the line after the filter would be OK if it didn't create too much of a restriction. The electric fuel pump sort of works as it's own shut off valve when it's not energized doesn't it? So there's not as much a need for a ball valve in the feed line.
I'm inclined to go with JK's unit since it's mounted under the hood. Just my thoughts.
zip

56Nomad
02-26-2003, 16:12
zip

I thought you might be continuing the TraceF "I'm afraid" string..... :D

JK's system, under the hood and after the OEM filter is probably
the best option for many.

a64pilot
02-26-2003, 16:17
electric fuel pump? what electric fuel pump! :D

56Nomad
02-26-2003, 16:17
zip,

Just in case one of those errant stones or road debris
does damage the integrity of my frame mounted filter
I have a quick solution...........

Also, regardless of what ever frame mounted system one
selects, the CAT, STANADYNE, BALDWIN or RECOR 2 micron
primary filter is mostly likely going to clog prematurely when
you least want it happen. Just in case of an emergency, I
have a small length of hose (with 2 barred ends) to
by pass the filter if I get stuck away from home and I'll
keep it in the truck.

Picture at: http://community.webshots.com/album/64740617IuEplR

Brucec
02-26-2003, 18:34
Forgive my stupid question but everyone states they ordered their filter and base from DIS, who is DIS? Web site?

56Nomad
02-26-2003, 18:50
www.dieselpage.com

LanduytG
02-26-2003, 19:52
56Nomad

Can you give me a call?

Greg

zip
02-27-2003, 15:21
a64Pilot-- Well, I'm corrected. Injector pump or EDU. Sorry . You can see I'm not an expert.I don't really know too much about injection systs.
Thanks for not &lt;i&gt;flamin&lt;/&gt; :eek:
zip

56Nomad
02-27-2003, 18:12
LanduytG and hoot,

After I get enough miles and change out my
Racor R60 filter.... I plan on using the larger
R90 filter element.

The R60 measures 4.5 inches tall. What is the height
of the R90 element? I'm planning to put a skid plate
on the bottom of the frame and wondered if I have
enough room for the taller R90 element.

Thanks

hoot
02-27-2003, 18:40
Nomad,

Looks like the R90 is less than an inch taller....

http://www.dieselpage.com/racfwsd.htm

6X
02-27-2003, 18:45
Would it make any sense to install two after market filters in series, the first on would be a 25, or so, micron filter to catch the larger particles, then the 2 micron filter to the catch the smaller particles. It looks like there may be enough room where 56Nomad has his filter installed to install a second one. Would this allow more resident time for the 2 micron filter?

FirstDiesel
02-27-2003, 18:51
Isn't that what Kennedy is really doing with his setup?? Let the stock filter do the original filtering and then the new filter finishes the job.

56Nomad
02-27-2003, 18:52
Thanks,

That being the case, if I put in a skid plate on the bottom
of the frame rail, the R90 Racor will fit. However, when I wanted
to change the this R90 filter, I would have to unbolt my add on
skid plate to change this filter.

I quess that's no big deal, cuz as it is, I have to take my battery
out to access and change the OEM filter :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

hoot
02-27-2003, 18:56
Why do you have to take your battery out? I changed mine twice already from above without removing anything.

56Nomad
02-27-2003, 19:02
6X wrote:
"Would it make any sense to install two after market filters in series"

I don't think that would be the the most economical way to go.
If this Racor set up does not work out for me, I think my next move
is to go the JK way (after the factory filter)

56Nomad
02-27-2003, 19:06
hoot.....

I couldn't get that pipe wrench in there with out
taking the battery :D :D :D

mackin
02-27-2003, 19:29
I'm with 6x on this.....If a 2 micron is put ahead of the stock element, what is the stock element doing ?? One tank of cruddy fuel and you guys on the way to church on Sunday are laying under your truck or limping home !!!!!!

Running a 2 micron after the factory setup I would hope wouldn't require any more service and hopefully both could be changed at same intervals,under the hood.....

Looks like the way I'll go if and when, stock catches the rocks, and let the 2 micron catch the rest.....Long as it's reversible,gotta watch out for mother and her watch dogs playing hero.....

MAC :D :D :D

hoot
02-27-2003, 20:40
========== quote =============
One tank of cruddy fuel and you guys on the way to church on Sunday are laying under your truck or limping home !!!!!!
==============================

That's the whole idea mackin. I'd rather be limping home from church than praying on the way tongue.gif

I'm experimenting here though. You could be right. I figure I'll keep spare 10 micron under the back seat just in case.

If the 2m loads up too often, I'll just switch to a looser filter.

What's the stock element doing? It's a safety net.

I think right now we should wait and see.

Nomad, I use a strap wrench that you use a socket extension with. The kind without a handle.

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

mdrag
02-27-2003, 21:35
Kennedy has posted that his Mega-filter can be installed pre or post OEM, depending on what you want to do.

56Nomad
02-27-2003, 22:20
mdrag,

Everyone is waiting to hear the release announcement....

JK is really doing his homework.

If the JK assembly is used pre OEM, the question
that comes to mind is...... how tall is it?
I believe his filter length along is 9 19/32 inches.

We have 12 inches to work with if you hang
the filter on the frame.

[ 02-27-2003: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]</p>

FirstDiesel
02-28-2003, 05:32
56nomad

I think the point with JK's unit is that no matter which way you install it the mounting is under the hood. Just different plumbing. Might be wrong here but I got that idea from his posts.

jbplock
02-28-2003, 07:08
Hoot,

I like your idea of using a strap wrench with a socket drive to remove the fuel filter from the top (I haven't changed one yet, just over 5kmi on the truck). I have one of these wrenches made by Lisle that has a nylon strap. Is this the type you use or does yours have a metal band? The Nylon works well but it has a square tube that tends to dent the filter. I have been thinking of getting the metal band type so I can get more leverage on the full flow filter. I was also thinking it could be used with a torque wrench to torque the full flow filter (just have to make sure the wrench is at 90 deg angle or the torque setting won't be correct).

The following Lisle link shows two socket type wrenches that look like they would work "53100 Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench" and "63500 Big Range Filter Wrench" (I have this one).
http://www.lislecorp.com/tools/catalog/filters/index.htm

A KD Tools version of the metal band socket type at the following link that looks good too.

http://www.tptoolbox.com/Database/KD/2320.jpg
smile.gif

[ 02-28-2003: Message edited by: jbplock ]</p>

Kennedy
02-28-2003, 07:50
Length is 10-9/16" and diameter is 5-3/8". The length is artifically long as the drain is the last 3/4" or so. I also have a 12-15/32" element, but haven't tried it yet. I think it will fit, but doubt I'll pursue it.

Mdrag is correct about the plumbing arrangement. When differing opinions exist, DIVERSIFY! I've decided to let the end user decide how they would like to run the plumbing.

hoot
02-28-2003, 09:02
jbplock,

More like the KD style you provided the link for.

I believe mine is for a PH8A size filter and it just makes it diameter wise. The filter is so close to the engine that the thickness of the band, maybe .04" barely gets between the filter and the block.

I slide the band wrench on first (make sure you unhook the wire off the bottom).

I then use a long extension and a ratchet. Once the filter is loose I remove the tool and do the rest of the dissasembly by hand.

I use the tool again to tighten the filter. I also have that cloth strap wrench but never used it.

Remember the big new o-ring that goes into the top of the filter. It's usually too small and won't stay in the groove. Stretch it a little then it will stay.

56Nomad
02-28-2003, 10:48
John,

You state the length of the filter element is 10-9/16".

If my filter experiment fails, I would like to consider
putting your unit under the truck. Could you please
advise the total height of your filter assembly.

Thanks

hoot
02-28-2003, 12:33
Nomad,

What would you consider "failure"? Apparently the article on this page was a success.