PDA

View Full Version : WHATS YOUR OPINION

denverdale
08-08-2002, 19:24
Ok, I bought my Duramax because the diesel was quieter than anything on the market and it did not have a strong diesel exhaust smell. I have about 1600 miles on it and it seems to sound like an old singer sewing machine and the exhaust smell is definitely much stronger than it was when it was new.
It seems that the cahnge occured shortly after I had the oil and filter changed by the dealer.
Is it my imagination or what?
Opinions??????
Denverdale

stretch
08-09-2002, 03:10
I think your nose and ears are just "tuning in" to these unfamiliar smells and sounds. Don't sweat it ! tongue.gif

Andyman
08-09-2002, 03:21
As for the sound of the DMAX, its music to my ears. As for the Exhaust, smells better than a gas motor if you ask me. :D :D . All fun aside I don't think theres anything wrong. You're just noticing more the longer you drive it. Just enjoy it!!!!!

JEBar
08-09-2002, 03:52
tend to agree with both of the above....do know that I have noticed that some brands of fuel seem to react differently in my D'max...have burned a couple of tanks (usually purchased while on a trip away from my home area) which have seemed to make the engine sound a bit different and to produce a noticeable diesel smell (usually right afer shutting it down).... neither condition was very bad (compaired to other diesels I have been around)nor lasted long .... another possibility in the sound area could be your exhaust system is getting broken in .... :cool:

NutNbutGMC
08-09-2002, 05:04
^..Enjoy your machine. Drive it like you borrowed it from your in-laws. Mine runs like a well oiled Singer sewing machine and I think you will come to love the diesel fumes. :D Nothing wrong with that Duramax except that it needs miles of smiles.

schnier
08-09-2002, 05:08
There is also a oil smell coming from the vent tube that is stronger for a couple of weeks after changing the oil. This might be what you are refering to. It was mentioned by many on this forum. In the summer the windows are down and this new oil smell comes right in the window after an oil change. It will go away soon. Also you could extend the vent tube out under the truck so it does not get blowby on the shiney new motor. Good luck.

APR2000
08-09-2002, 07:22
What were you driving before? The oil smell after changes goes away quickly. It ain't a "gasser" so you need to bond with your truck some more. For me, the best sound of the day is hearing it start when I've parked it in barn. RRRRRRRRRROOMMMMM. Music to my ears. There's no going back to gas engines. Drive More. Smile More. See how fast she will accelerate and how she tows. There's only one thing better. ;)

Amianthus
08-09-2002, 07:44
Lemme guess, you're using Delo oil maybe?
They don't call it Delo-smello for nothing ya' know.

There's nothing wrong with your truck. It'll probably go away after a few thousand miles. Try changing your fueling station if it's a real big issue.

denverdale
08-09-2002, 11:32
Hey
Thanks for all the input. I will watch it and see if the noise and smell go away. I do love the truck. My first oil change was at the Chevrolet dealers and I am not sure what oil they used. Next oil change will be done by me, so I will know what goes in it.

Thanks again for all the input.
Denverdale

thechevyhdman
08-09-2002, 19:45
Well youre right in my opinion, Weve owned nothing but diesels since 1982 except for a 88' 454. And I do have to say that the Dmax smells extremely rich like a 6.2 litre diesel with 240,000 miles with original injectors. (especially amazing when the truck never did over 55 for any of those miles) the smell being more noticable after oil and filter change is probably this. (from what I was told) the duramax doesnt have an egr valve or anything that reroutes any spent fuel that made its way into the oil, back into the motor. Instead the crankcase breathes into open air, if im correct right in front of the engine block, youll see a tube spitting out steam/moisture, that is the originator of the smell, the crankcase "vent" that is what I thought was a bad smell, this smell I was told is worse with some "brands" of oils than others. The smell from the exhaust well, I take it this way theres no Cat unless your in the Communist Republik of Kalifornia the smell of raw diesel fumes from my Dmax have not changed as many other diesels (6.5 to be exact, which does in some halfass way reroutes exhaust fumes back into the intake) And does have a Cat on it.) The smell of raw diesel fuel is as it should,... be plain and simple, not physiologically changed. Dang doesnt C 4 H6 02 = something like water and carbon monoxide H2O and C8 Im definitely wrong (I was bad in chem.) But when fumes hit a Cat convertor it smells different. I wouldnt worry about nothing I still ( and always will) run dino oil in my truck and with 19,000 miles I still hit 80 psi on start up, and maybe 42 at idle, the same as people I know that run straight synthetic. (We have a Cat 3208NA thats run straight dino and has over 18,000 hours on it) All weve done is injectors. Dont worry drive it and dont worry. Me being 23 I worry alot about stuff that costs more than my parents house, But have faith in GM, they' ve failed us before but nothing we wouldnt have expected(We use our trucks harder than anyone else I guarantee it!!!)Just drive it, dont worry about smells, and rip into that go peddle and remind yourself why you dont have a chatter box Power&*roke,(hearing is very important)