PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of Buying - Need Advise

Rebel_Horseman
11-20-2002, 09:18
Hey folks. Been gone for a while. I'm looking at a '01 Duramax here in town adn I can get a good deal on it but I have some questions. The truck is an extended cab short bed 4x4 alli/max. The truck has the LT interir (leather buckets, etc. but it's an LS), push button 4x4, and the usual options.

1. What problem areas are common with this type of truck? What should I look for when I go back and test drive it again?

2. The truck has the factory steel wheels with either 295's or 305's on it. What kind of fuel mileage are you guys getting? I know it's a relative question but I'd like to get some opinions.

3. If there are any folks from down here, how much are ya'll paying for insurance on this beast?

Any other input you folks can give me would be helpful. The truck is at a dealer here in BR and the dealer's brother in law owned th truck. I'm friends with this dealer and he said the truck was well taken care of and never had anything wrong with it other than an oil hose issue.

Thanks for the help guys.

Reb [><]

IndigoDually
11-20-2002, 11:57
There is a "Lopey Idle" issue with the '01's. Most of the things that were problems with the '01's are easily taken care of with computer updates. If the software is up to date then You are doing good.
If the price is right then I think it would be a good truck.
I can't help You with the other questions but I'm sure others can.

John

Rebel_Horseman
11-20-2002, 12:28
Thanks John.

I'm going at 2 to get the paperwork done. Hopefully ya'll won't have anything bad to tell me once I have the truck in my name.

Brian

mackin
11-20-2002, 19:36
Rebel_Horseman

You didn't sign yet did you ?????? :(

There is one issue .......

MAC

It's minor !!!!! ;) Get a good deal you'll need some cash !!!!!!! smile.gif

[ 11-20-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

GMC-2002-Dmax
11-20-2002, 19:55
Rebel_Horseman

The truck is an LS with leather. That means that the seats are not heated and the LT equipment like On-Star is not present.

Take a good look at it and see if the truck is well equipped with things like heated mirrors, rear defogger, G80 locking rear, etc. Those Items are important if you live where it's cold, seeing as you live in the south it may not matter to you.

The '01 should have either a 1 pc. or 2 pc. rear driveshaft. If it is 1 pc. check if it steel or the aluminum telephone pole.

Oh, one more thing, save about $1200 - $ 1300 dollars of you down payment for 3 items you need, just ask me or MAC and we'll hook ya up. ;)

Right MAC!!! :D

Good Luck to you,

GMC

Rebel_Horseman
11-21-2002, 06:41
Well I did sign the papers yesterday. The truck does have a 1 piece steel drive shaft. Hope that's a good thing. It drives like a dream. Comfy leather buckets without the butt toasters and OnStar. I did buy a 24,000 mile worranty for peace of mind. Got what I think is a very good deal which makes the payments better.

Reb [&gt;&lt;]

GMC-2002-Dmax
11-21-2002, 19:17
Rebel_Horseman,

Sounds pretty good to me. the one piece driveshaft is a good thing. The steel and the aluminum were offered. I do not know why some got one or the other
:confused:

Anyway, I was getting 16.5 mpg when new and now at 15K miles I am averaging between 15-16 un-adjusted for larger tires.

If I factor the percentage I am off with 285's( about 8-10%) I am avgeraging 16.5 to 18 mpg around town. I get close to 20 mpg straight highway.

If you are worried about the history of the truck you can get a report from CarFax(.)com- delete the ( ).
;)

Enjoy the truck :D

GMC