PDA

View Full Version : air noise

socaltoolguy
08-09-2002, 16:10
Has anybody added the front air deflector to hood of their truck. I have a 3500HD and whenever I am running over 60 mph I get a noise up in the center of the cab where the running lites are that sounds like sand hitting the cab. The service guy at the dealer said it is the design of the deflector. Anybody heard of this?

CSDMAX
08-09-2002, 16:19
Ray,

There are others who have posted about the same problem with a EGR Brand deflector. Check the search tool for similiar problem. Has to do with the trim on the windshield.

Don

JEBar
08-09-2002, 16:35
Have a Lund stainless bug deflector which causes a whistle at speeds over 45 .... have gotten used to it and really don't pay much attention to it any more :eek:

Paintdude
08-09-2002, 19:37
With my trailer mirrors and the Lund bug deflector I have to pull-extend my mirrors out about 1 1/2inches to eliminate some wind noise..

esmo77
08-10-2002, 15:01
ANY TIME YOU CHANGE THE AERODYNAMICS OF A VEHICLE; A NOTICABLE WIND SOUND WILL TAKE PLACE. I HAD A 95 SILVERADO; ADDED BUG DEFLECTOR AND VENT SHADES. THE WIND VELOCITY IN THE CAB; WITH WINDOWS DOWN TOTALLY CHANGED. THE SAME TOOK PLACE WITH THE 99 AND 2001.

uncle t
08-12-2002, 10:18
had the same problem with 99 silverado. put on bug deflector- got flapping noise at 55 mph + sounded like wires flapping in the front window pillar. took the thing off- no noise put it back on- noise. It turned out to be the two rubber flaps under hood on ends of grill rear most part of the engine compartment. glue em down. :cool:

truckin
08-12-2002, 13:39
I also had this problem after I added a bugshield from Ventshade. Mine sounded like a rattle coming from the air intake louvers at the bottom of the windshield. It was the rubber molding on both sides of the windshield. There are four screws under the molding in the door frame area that hold it on. I removed the screws but did not remove the molding. This gave me enough room to lift the molding and place a small bead of silicon sealant under it. I have heard that some people used 1/8 inch doublesided tape from 3M. I now have no rattle at any speed. A quick test to see if this is your problem is to tape the molding down to the windshield and drive the truck. Don't leave the tape on long because it will leave a residue that is hard to get off.

stviera
08-13-2002, 08:16
New guy here logging in with a comment for the first time. Finally thought I might be of assistance. Up til now I have just been an observer. I put an EGR deflector and had the same sound. At abut 60MPH and up sounded like rain or sand hitting my windsheild. Told dealer and they reseated my windsheild under warranty. Nothing like the sound of silence. Go see your dealer and have them do this for you. It will go away.

[ 08-13-2002: Message edited by: stviera ]</p>