PDA

View Full Version : 03 High Idle

johnpugh
11-20-2002, 14:31
After looking at Bulletin 53 from the GM Upfitters web site, it appears that most of the trucks equiped with the DMax (and 8.1) engine have wiring provisions for the high idle already installed with the connector behind the dash (behind the Pass Airbag switch).

Questions:

Has anyone looked in the dash for this wiring provision?

If the wiring is there has anyone used it to install the high idle?

If I were to order the high idle switch from gmpartsdirect.com would it be plug and play using the provided factory wiring (aside from Tech II programing)?

My truck is on the train as we speak and I am planning to do the high idle as my first upgrade...

Thanx

Jelisfc
11-20-2002, 14:50
JMPDmax, Does this tech bulletin say anything about the air bag switch? I thought all '03's had the smart passenger side airbag but sure enough HD's don't. I want to either disable or add the lockout switch to my CC. With three kids already I can't take any more in the front seat.

If the high idle wiring is in the same place I can do both at the same time.

johnpugh
11-20-2002, 15:00
Jelisfc:

In page 11 of the PDF at this url

https://www.gmupfitter.com/secure/html/publicat/bull/bull53.pdf

it states "The PTO connector can be found behind the passenger air bag defeat switch. It
should be taped to the IP harness directly behind the passenger air bag defeat switch."

That statement is what leads me to believe that the wiring harness is already there and ready for use.

Most people who have installed the high idle have to run a separate wire to the ECM to power circuit 488 (PTO Enable). If the wiring harness is there I think we should be able to use it instead of having to run a wire to the ECM.

Jelisfc
11-20-2002, 15:16
We'll have to see who gets to it first. Since it looks like we have identical trucks!!!!

chuntag95
11-20-2002, 15:31
I don't think you will have the wire that actually goes to the ECM already there. I didn't anyway. I think the wires in that harness are the ones from the cruise control. Do a search on high idle and you should find some more info. The 2500 cannot actually run the PTO due to some reason (which I forgot). It took 2 wires to hook up the high idle (minus the Tech II programing I had to have done at the stealer for $65). I bought an add a circuit to get power, the pin for the ECU online and a switch with LED from the autoparts store. If you install all the stuff and when you hit the set button, it just bogs for a second and returns to normal, you need the Tech II reprograming. Some have not required it, but I did. Now, I have an 02, so all of this my be junk. I have read that you might have to ground a pin instead of applying voltage. You might just ask your stealer what they would charge you to put it in.

[ 11-20-2002: Message edited by: chuntag95 (Chris) ]</p>

johnpugh
11-20-2002, 16:02
Jelisfc:

Sorry... I did not understand your question. I do not know if the wiring provision for the air bag defeat is still valid given the 'smart' airbag technology now being used. It is possible that there is a wiring harness there for it as well.

As for the trucks.... It does look like we'll have twins!!!!

Chris:
I have looked at all the posts that I could find, but none posted has specifically added the high idle to an 03 truck. On the flip side, the Upfitter bulletin is supposed to be for Model Year 2001 and beyond. I just do not understand why GM would provide a wiring harness (if they infact have) and not have it connected on the other end. Wait, we are talking about GM huh??? :rolleyes:

I guess I'll have to wait until the truck gets here and then pull the dash for a look-see....

Later

Jelisfc
11-20-2002, 16:15
The smart air bag is only for light duty trucks. HD's DO NOT have this feature. If there is an air bag light on the pass side visor then you have a smart bag. I'm not sure about 1500HD's but my 2500HD doesn't have the feature. I expect the lockout wiring is behind the dash. I need to simply find it and install the lockout switch from an ext cab.

If GM is having trouble supplying a brake controller harness I won't hold my breath on the high idle.

Maverick
11-20-2002, 22:42
The wiring may be behind the dash as stated but the wires don't go anywhere. The wires into the ECM and the Allison interface are still missing. It will do you no good to hook it up this way. The other problem I heard was that the 03's PTO enable pin in the ECM is different that the 01'-02's. Looks like you 03' guys are guinea pigs for the high idle. Let us know when you figure it out.