PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic, sorry

Paintdude
08-10-2002, 21:51
This is a friend of mines family..sad day..I went to the scene today and it was a 2000 Z71 that T-boned a 97 cavalier..

The truck was at fault,Jerry almost lost his whole family and the passenger in the truck left a wife and 3 kids behind..

funerals and visitations next week for me.. :(

Sorry to be off topic guys, but talking about it helps me deal with it..I was a EMt for 20 yrs and have seen alot of stuff but nothing quite like this..

http://www.herald-review.com/current/Local_News/localnews1.php

TBC
08-10-2002, 22:07
Sorry that you lost a friend. It is tough no matter how many times it happens and what you have seen. You and yours friends are in our prayers.

TBC

hoot
08-11-2002, 05:19
Here's the link..
The one you gave was a dif story. Sorry tp hear about it.

http://www.herald-review.com/current/Local_News/localnews3.php

JEBar
08-11-2002, 05:46
Terrible thing Hoot ... when friends go through something like this, it affects many people ... our thoughts and prayers are headed in your direction .... Jim :(

mackin
08-11-2002, 06:08
What a sad incident,my condolences to all the families involved....

Paintdude
08-11-2002, 07:28
FORSYTH -- Robert Marsh lost his father when he was a small boy.

Now his three sons have lost theirs.

Marsh, 34, a Maroa farmer, was one of three people who died in a two-vehicle crash Friday at Emery and Sawyer roads, three miles north of Forsyth and one mile east of U.S. 51.

Christopher Doak was driving southbound on Sawyer in a 2002 Chevrolet pickup truck about 6 p.m. Friday when police said he apparently disobeyed a stop sign. His truck collided with a 1996 Chevrolet Cavalier eastbound on Emery.
Doak is in stable condition at Decatur Memorial Hospital.

Macon County Sheriff's Sgt. Max Austin said the investigation into the accident is ongoing.

Marsh was a passenger in Doak's pickup and was pronounced dead at Decatur Memorial Hospital on Friday. He is survived by his wife, Rebecca, and sons, Tyler, Brandon and Cody, ages 10, 6 and 10 months.

"He was very active with them in coaching their sports," said Denny Hill, manager of the Emery Grain Elevator, where Marsh took the corn and soybeans he raised. "He was in (the elevator) almost daily. When he came in, he lit up the room. He was just a vibrant person. He's surely going to be missed."

The other two victims were Melanie Camfield, 45, the driver of the Cavalier, and her daughter, Amy, 20. Amy Camfield was ejected from the vehicle and pronounced dead at the scene. Melanie Camfield was airlifted to Carle Foundation Hospital, Champaign, and
pronounced dead there.

Another daughter, Abby, who also was in the car, survived and is in serious but stable condition at Decatur Memorial. She is expected to recover.

"They were sweet people, just really nice," said Pam Bowling of Argenta, a neighbor of the Camfields. "They'd do anything for you. They were so much help to me when my house burned."

Melanie Camfield was an alternative study teacher at Argenta-Oreana High School, overseeing students who had been disruptive. Amy Camfield, a graduate of Argenta-Oreana who also studied at Richland Community College, was consistently on the honor roll.

"This is a loss for all of us, our community, our staff and our students as well," said Jackie Goeppinger, a counselor at the high school.

Counselors will be available at 2 p.m. Monday at the high school in Argenta for anyone who needs them, Goeppinger said.

Five firefighters from the Argenta-Oreana Fire Protection District were the first to arrive on the crash scene, soon followed by personnel from the Maroa Countryside Fire Protection District, within whose boundaries the accident occurred.

Because of the magnitude of the crash, they requested assistance from Hickory Point Fire Protection District. In all, nearly 30 emergency personnel were on hand.

"Two of the deceased were good friends with a lot of people on the department," said Cory White, Argenta-Oreana assistant fire chief and one of the five initial responders, as he worked at an extrication competition for firefighters Saturday at Richland Community College.

Several firefighters at Richland who worked at the accident scene said Decatur Fire Department Chaplain David Gagnon helped conduct a "defusing" session late Friday at the Argenta firehouse to give emergency personnel a chance to express their feelings.

"You'd be hard pressed to find any group of responders that could have done better than they did," Gagnon said Saturday. "They were working on people they knew. That is something that will touch their emotions pretty deep."

The firehouse session was "critical incident stress management" conducted by a team from the Macon County Mental Health Association, said Gagnon, a team member.

"You try to catch people before they go home to their families or off duty," Gagnon said. "If you can talk and get things expressed, that's a lot of baggage you don't have to carry later.

"A lot of people in emergency services are tough on the outside. It's a survival mechanism. But they feel bad inside. You have to reassure them it's a normal reaction."

Valerie Wells can be reached at 421-7982.

Chris N5CWM
08-11-2002, 10:08
Sitting here, I dunno what to type.
Sorry to hear about the tradegy. Wish
you and everyone else the best to get
through this.

-Chris

Paintdude
08-11-2002, 20:11
thanks for all the kind comments and thoughts , guys...

I called Jerry`s house today and it was his wifes voice on the answering machine..

sonofagun
08-12-2002, 19:22
Tough to find the right words. My thoughts and prayers go to all those who suffer such terrible losses.

Bob

Paintdude
08-12-2002, 19:37
the funeral has not been anounced yet..the mother and daughter have been cremated..To tore up for visitation(head trauma)..

I still havn't spoke to Jerry, he is staying real close to his remaining daughter at the hospitol,he hasn`t even went-been home, since friday evening...I am guessing this just hasn`t quite soaked in yet.. :(

Here is the obit on the passenger in the truck..

MAROA -- Robert Charles Marsh, 34, of Maroa died 6:52 p.m. Friday (Aug. 9, 2002) in Decatur Memorial Hospital.

Services will be 2 p.m. Wednesday in Calvert Funeral Home, Clinton, with Dr. David Gaffron officiating. Visitation will be 5 to 9 p.m. Tuesday with 8:30 p.m. Masonic rites. Burial: Maroa Cemetery. Memorials: Robert C. Marsh Memorial Fund.

Mr. Marsh was born July 13, 1968, in Decatur, the son of Alan Charles and Loretta Kay Cooper Marsh. He was a farmer and a member of Maroa Masonic Lodge and Macon County Farm Bureau. He was affiliated with Maroa United Methodist Church. He was active in all his boys' sports and in Boy Scout activities. Mr. Marsh loved farming, camping, fishing and being with his boys. He married Rebecca Kaye Mattingly on July 27, 1991, in Decatur.

Surviving are his wife; mother, Loretta K. Marsh of Maroa; father-in-law and mother-in-law, Jim and Jo Mattingly of Maroa; sons, Alan Tyler Marsh, Brandon James Marsh and Cody Robert Marsh, all of Maroa; sister, Michelle Kay Marsh of Bloomington; brother, Jamie Mattingly and wife Sherry of Decatur; niece and nephew, Ashley and J.D. Mattingly.

He was preceded in death by his father.

woodzie
08-12-2002, 22:50
Paintdude

In reading your post-very sorry for the family's involved in the accident. Live in Monticello-farming hear and was on the Bement Grain board when we mergered with Cisco-Know Denny,also worked at Firestone T&R Co. Worked with several people from Maroa.Larry Black,Tom Doak,Bill Redman,etc etc. woodzie&net66.com Robert Wood-shoot me an e-mail if you get time.

2001 D/A ext cab
cab/chassis
Alum flt. bd
Juiced + many goodies

Paintdude
08-13-2002, 20:49
Woodzie I will email ya ..Lets get together..I need to check out the Juice..I may have a line on another Gruman fuel tank, one was on the shop floor in champaign today(looked pretty bad) and they have one leaking in deactur, under the spec tag(repairable)....Might be able to fix ya up..

I know this Doak boys father fairley well..I went to school in Maroa..

small word man,You be good over your way or I will have Dick Thomas get ya.. smile.gif

DECATUR -- Court documents say a driver involved in a weekend crash that killed three people had a blood alcohol level of more than twice the legal limit.

Macon County Associate Judge James R. Coryell on Monday found probable cause for the arrest of Christopher M. Doak on preliminary charges of three counts of reckless homicide and aggravated driving under the influence. Doak, 25, also was cited
by Macon County sheriff's deputies for allegedly disobeying a stop sign. Coryell set bond at $150,000, and Doak posted bond Monday.

Doak was the driver of a southbound pickup truck that collided with an eastbound sedan at Emery and Sawyer roads near Forsyth just after 6 p.m. Friday. Killed were the driver of the sedan, Melanie Camfield, 45, of Argenta, her daughter Amy, 20, and a passenger in the pickup, Robert Marsh, 34, of Maroa. Another Camfield daughter, Abby, was listed in serious but stable condition Monday at Decatur Memorial Hospital, a hospital spokesman said.

Macon County Sheriff's Capt. Jerry Dawson said police arrested Doak on Sunday morning after he was released from Decatur Memorial. He declined to comment on Doak's blood alcohol level. But according to sworn statements filed in Macon County Circuit Court in connection with his arrest, an emergency room doctor who treated Doak drew blood and told police he had a blood alcohol level of .212. The legal limit is .08.

According to the sworn statement, Doak told police he could not remember the accident but had not been drinking. But officers said they smelled a strong odor of alcohol on Doak's breath.

Doak told police he and Marsh had left his home in Maroa and were looking at crops on the way to Marsh's house.

Dawson said police are still investigating Doak's whereabouts prior to the accident and have accident reconstruction officers working on the case.

Doak's attorney, Gregory Fombelle of Decatur, declined to comment about the case.