PDA

View Full Version : Is your acceleration smooth?

Dinkie Diesel
08-11-2002, 10:39
Since day one, I have always felt like my truck accelerates in spurts. If you start from a dead stop and mash on it, it seems like the trans is slipping or it is regulating the power in a unsmooth manner. This is independent of the trans shifting. Even after the shift has completed it still feels like it's regulating power somehow. I know it is not the trans slipping. It's not the tires slipping (couldn't be at 40+ mph). It has to be electronics doing the controlling.

Anyone else feel this?

Idle_Chatter
08-11-2002, 10:43
Yep, we get it too, Dinkie, it's called "torque management" and it's the ECM and TCM trying to protect the driveline. Notice how sluggish it is right off the line at full throttle and how the power really starts to pour on up around 25-30 mph if you keep it to the floor? There's some turbo-lag in there, too, but the computer is doing most of it. (I can't speak for how the boxes affect this, as I am still "stock" for now.)

JEBar
08-11-2002, 11:20
addition of Juice to my 3500 helped smooth out the acceleration .... not to mention speed :eek: it up consideably

Maverick
08-11-2002, 11:24
After running the juice for 1.5 months everyday pulling 20K plus I think the truck learns pretty quick how to manage the power. The truck is definately de-tuned without the juice. It is so slow in 1st compared to my other truck. I think the truck learns how to deal with the extra power of the juice but take it away and it still wants to manage the power that is not there. Anybody else experience this? Otherwise to answer your question, "torque man.:" is a good explanation like IC said. This is more noticeable with the juice on.

mackin
08-11-2002, 15:38
Maverick,

Yup only in the mourning or a cold start can account for some "WEIRD " shifting........But when it comes up to temp,right back to as previous learn....

MAC

stviera
08-13-2002, 08:28
02 2500HD Crew Cab 4 X 4 no juice. Same concerns. Same feel. Thought it was turbo lag. I just got used to it... I am going in for calibration updates soon as reccomended at http://calid.gm.com/vci/ I have some updates that need to be done to my vehicle. I hope they will help.

Raptorrider2001
08-13-2002, 14:18
Dinkie! You described mine perfectly. I also had the same thoughts but decided it was just me not knowing to drive it. :confused: