PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned house at the county fair truck pulls.

BowTieDmax
08-11-2002, 14:25
Well after stressing out for the last couple of weeks about this pull. Mostly what gear to use, I finally used Hi range, 2nd gear and boosted it up till the brakes wouldn't hold. Then floored it (I had to play with the gas for a secound to try and get traction) then I spun for the hole 287 feet with a 1st place win in the 8000# class with a boat load of powder strokes & cummins. I had the tire pressure 18lbs front/ 35lbs back. Then I took the backs down too 22lbs for the wife too pull it in the powder puff 8000# class witch she also took first place. There was a couple of banks powered powder stokes but most of them were "stock" (like it really matters with them) I was seriously out numbered (THE ONLY DURAMAX) and I had the flocks of ford& dodge owners in the morning making little smart coments. But funny how they werent around after the race. Well hopefully I helped sell some DMAX's. Oh yea egts were about 1500 deg for about half the pull.Well the next pull is Wednesday.

mackin
08-11-2002, 15:30
WOW !!!!!!!!

Good show......Making us proud,glad to hear it went well......
We'll have to see if it hushes the crowd,thanks to you.......
Cheers to you,

MAC :D

JoeyD
08-11-2002, 17:18
Good Job. Where was the pull?

BowTieDmax
08-11-2002, 17:25
Ashtabula county, ohio

Something else I did that I think might of helped. I put a rachet strap around the steering drag link and the frame cross over under the motor. Thus pulling down on the drag link to keep the front wheels from whobbling. While under load.

BOOMERHD
08-11-2002, 19:07
AWESOME JOB !!! If we only had some pulls around here.

I knew it all along............................................. .......

Boomerhd :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

BOOMERHD
08-11-2002, 19:10
By the way. You runn'n the same "pro-comps" as I am?

Boomerhd :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Paintdude
08-11-2002, 19:49
Man thats great!!!

I have been to Astabula before(12 miles from Penn)
Racing All terrain vehicles 6-wheelers back in the 70's..I got a 2nd place in my class..

Some Good Memories smile.gif

RedDog1
08-11-2002, 21:40
In all honesty, there could not have been much competition there.

I have seen several Duramax/Allison equipped trucks attempt to pull, and everyone has been an embarrasement to me!! The latest was last night when it finished dead last!! Allison shifting up and down,, it was pathetic.

I've yet to see a 6speed pull, but it would have to be better.

My 454 has yet to be beat by a Dmax, or a 8.1. :D

RedDog

BowTieDmax
08-12-2002, 07:49
There was a total of 18 trucks in my class.
12 powder strokes (2 banks powered and after some ford friends of mine spying around they found that 7 of them admitted two being chipped,the 2 banks powered had blocked rears and "hit all the pulls"
3 cummins
1 ford v10
1 ford v8
Then later in the evening I was overwelmed at the last minute by people to enter the Hot Shot diesel class. So after having about 5 minutes to ready the truck. I pulled first, Started to wheel hop in the rear about half way down so I had to back off for a secound then pulled a 289 ft. I should of refused, and pulled again but I took 3rd to a full pull Twin turbo cummins from another state and a power stroke from another state. Not sure what he had but I think he pulled a 295. I realized after the pull that I had put way to much air in the bags thus causing to hop.
Hot shot class:
5 cummins
3 powder strokes
1 duramax

BowTieDmax
08-12-2002, 07:58
Hey PaintDude them atv races still happen at the same place (if your talking about Pine Lakes) Me and my kids race there all the time.(I live about a mile down the road. Next pulls tommorrow night at the Lake county fair, Ohio. Then the National pulls in Crawford county P.A.August 22nd.
Next atv races at pine lake August 18th
Its amazing how many Chevy fans came up, shook my had and thanked me for "showing the fords & dodges"

Jeremy
08-12-2002, 08:05
Thats funny it a "powder stroke" when he beats them...but it a "power stroke" when he get beat by one

SoCalDMAX
08-12-2002, 10:54
Way to go, BowTieDmax!!

Sounds like you've got the Allison tranny figured out! It sure sounded like a lot of fun! It's always fun when an unknown comes in and surprises everyone. :eek: ;)

Jeremy, you forgot to put the smileys in your post, I also thought it was funny. :D :D :D :D

Regards, Steve

More Power
08-12-2002, 11:35
Jeremy,

Are you bringing your PSD to Missoula on the 7th?

We're having our 3rd annual Pull-Off.

MP

Jeremy
08-12-2002, 15:00
I might Jim, If I drive up from SLC. I can't decide if I want to go to the DP pull off, or the dyno day in Spokane. I heard that both events are a good time.

SoCalDMAX, You right I forgot the smilly faces. I enjoy the banter as much as the next guy. redface.gif :D :D :D ;)

[ 08-12-2002: Message edited by: Jeremy ]</p>

DuckhunterInTN
08-12-2002, 16:02
BowtieMax,
Most of the people that I know that pull (no duramaxes, just ford and dodge diesels) use low range. What made you choose high range? I saw a duramax pull against some fords and dodges the other day and he did fairly well but couldn't hang with them. We found out later that he was in high range (he wasn't an experienced puller) so we figured that was his problem.

RedDog1
08-12-2002, 20:33
BowTieDmax,

I would love to see a Dmax do good, but it just hasn't happened here (central Ohio).

The next pull around here is August 24th, 8000lb diesel class, and 7200lb gas class. It is usually a large turnout.

I have yet to win one :( Finished 3rd a couple of times is my best.

RedDog

BowTieDmax
08-13-2002, 14:12
I decided to use High Range for the wheel speed. Because I knew that the allison was going to be the biggest problem with all its shifting and leaving it in low range 3rd gear would only top out at 18 mph. In high range 1st gear is 22 mph/ 46mph in 2nd. I knew the truck had the power to run high so it seemed like the only way to get the sled moving at the highest speed without getting alot of shifting

JasonsSS
08-15-2002, 17:56
Did you add any weight to your vehicle to bring it up to the max allowable weight in your class, or run it stock weight? What did you determine was the best pressure to run in the tires? Also, did you use a drop hitch to try to pull in line with the rear axle, or did you pull inline with the bumper? Also, could you explain a little better how you "strapped" the front to keep it from wobbling? I'm not quite following you there. Sorry for all the questions, there's a truck pull coming up in September, that I'm going to try competing at, and I'd like to be competitive smile.gif

Thanks,
Jason

JoeyD
08-15-2002, 18:12
Jason, I would say adding weight if allowed is a must. It seems that the Dodge and Ford weigh a bit more. I would also say high range like Bowtie used, the faster you get the sled moving before the weight climbs to the top the better. Good luck.

RedDog1
08-15-2002, 21:28
Jason,

If the weight class is 7200lbs, you will want to make your truck weight that. You give up to much by not doing that.

The same with hitch height,, if it is 24", then you will want your hitch at that height.

Normally I would disagree with using high range, (I never do), but with the Allison's low first gear, it could be ok.

Good luck, and more important,, have fun!!

heartbeatcanada
08-16-2002, 15:15
BowTieDmax
Just have a couple of questions. 1- I assume you ran the juice in level 4? 2- How long was your wifes pull? Just curious as i have seen a couple of truck pull results around my area and they aren't that impressive, around 230-250ft is the best i have seen. They were more likely in 4lo, as you might have the ticket with the 4hi, good thinkin. Keep up the good work and post any results if u go into any other pulls. I want to go in a couple pulls myself this fall, but am a little leary, just want to get all the useful info as possible so i don't let the dmax name go down in flames.

BowTieDmax
08-16-2002, 21:50
Sorry so late to respond but been pretty busy.
*Hitch height limit is 26". I was at 26". Besides putting more weight on the truck it will lighten the front of the sled to help get going.
*My wifes pull was the same as mine (300ft,8000lb class,same sled just only woman drivers.
*The tire pressure thing I'm still working on. It bit me in the butt Tuesday night at another pull hot shot diesel class. The 18lbs in the front works well,but I made some quick adjust hard stops from the frame to the axle to eliminate the rear suspension (have to have 1" clearance at inspection)Well "ALL" the weight went the 26lbs in the rear tires and created a hopping problem.I had to let up 3 times and took third 233ft.
*I weighed 7268 lbs (all the weight I had) I need more for the hot shot class (8000lb)every seems to max out for this one.
* The strap thing!? Anyone that had a lifted big tired chevy IFS can relate to the Idler arm movement.(I had a 1989 k1500 with 6"lift and 33" tires) The best I can explaine is to jack up your right front wheel and grab it in the 9:00 /3:00 position and try to move it in and out. That movement gets worse under load and bigger tires.
So the strap is just pulling down on the drag link tring to eliminate any chance of the front wheels whobbling
* I have all these pulls taped (none digital)if I can find a way to post the tape I will.

CPMac632
08-16-2002, 22:38
I have a six speed Duramax and have pulled it several times. It doesn't do real well so be prepared if your thinking about trying it. There are several reasons 1 all the 01 6 speeds I have been around have a power limiter of some sort in low range so you have to pull in high range and all the times I have tried it I have pulled a heavier sled and the clutch wasn't able to handle 2nd so you have to run 1st and that is only around 15 mph and that makes it hard to compare with automatics or Dodges with pulling clutches. Also the GM truck is the lightest truck out so if it is a class that allows extra weight you better add it.