PDA

View Full Version : Final Warranty Notice

ChevysRus
11-21-2002, 01:37
Actually, it was a final extended warranty notice I received today in the mail from GM. Seems as long as I am still under the original warranty (I am at 24K now) I can still buy the extended warranty up to 5 years or 75K. Cost???

Basic = $920, Value = $1,265 Major = $1,365

Major being the best at total coverage bumper to bumper. Specifically covers the Diesel including pump and fuel injectors and all computers. So let's see I am at 24k now leaves me 51K at $1,365 or $0.02 per mile for next 51,000. Or you could say I have 12K left under the full warranty so I would be buying 39K of extended coverage (all but engine since it is 100K) for a per mile cost of $0.03 per mile.

Given lot's of injector and pump problems (are they covered under the 100K warranty or the 36K Warranty)? then I would really be buying only Tranny coverage plus all other than engine coverage (rear, axles, suspension, radio etc.)for the $0.03 per mile cost.

Hummmnnnn what's a fella to do? Mine is an early '01 (November 2001 Built) and I have not had a moments problem with it except the Tranny switch. Everything else is perfect. So if Murphy is nearby that means all hell will break loose at 37K....ha ha ha

So how best to spend my $1365? Buy the warranty or use it as cash down to go with the trade in on an '04????????

Any comments, preferences appreciated.

Regards,

JEBar
11-21-2002, 04:46
not too long ago there was a rather long thread on her dealing with extended warranties ... suggest you look around and compare prices/coverages ... AAA and Warranty Gold were two which brought favorable comments ... I ended up with Warranty Gold's 5 year (from date of purchase of warranty NOT from date of purchase of vehicle) 150,000 mile coverage .... hope this helps ... Jim

TXDMAX
11-21-2002, 09:11
I'm not going to go into the whole should you or should you not buy it because I sell them. I just received one on my truck and wife's suburban and have had many calls from customers saying they have received the same notice. I will say that you can take that letter into your dealer and they can beat that price by about a $100 depending on the margin that is allowed. Allright i'll put my .02 in in. If you can do most of the little things that can nickel and dime you to death or don't plan on keeping longer than 50k, then I say no. But if you keep it longer 60k plus you have a better chance getting your money out of it. Our avg repair bill here last year was around $420 for each visit.

6X
11-21-2002, 09:36
JEbar,

Does your 150,000 mile warranty gold plan have any deductable associated with it? Would you mind telling what the total cost of the 150,000 mile plan was?

letsgo
11-21-2002, 11:07
WHERE DOES IT SAY that GM gives 100,000 mile warrantee on the diesel engine?????

ChevysRus
11-21-2002, 11:15
Read your manual or Diesel supplement and warranty that came with the truck. If you bought it new the engine has 100K warranty. I thought that was one of the major selling points, surprised your sales guy didn't tell you that. I should say this is the case with the '01. Not sure if they kept it for the '02 and '03. Maybe they just had that on the '01 to get people in to buy them. One of the issues is what is an engine component and what is not. Some say anything bolted to the engine is covered, but we know the Allison only has 36K coverage and it is bolted to the engine ha ha ha . I think there has been some issues getting the TCM and ECM covered under the 100K, some dealers do cover it and some have balked.

Anyway, the engine and all internal components are covered by the 100K on the 2001 models for sure. Can't speak about the 2002 and 2003 100K coverage and leave that for someone else to reply.

God Luck

car of the week
11-21-2002, 11:32
the warrranty on the duramax (100,000 miles) is still on these motors. they have to do it to keep up with the competition. ChevysRus--i am suprised that they did not offer you the 100,000 mile from GMPP. that is offered as long as you are under the 36 month / 36,000 mile mile mark. was that letter from GM or you selling dealer? you do pay a premium for the GM warranty but it has advantages that the aftermarket does not; the biggest is there is no need to wait for an adjuster from the outside warranty company to ok the work. i have seen this happen numerous times where the customer has to wait up to a week for the dealer to get authorization to do the work from the warranty company. the GM warranty is immediate (given that there is no discrepency on the work to be done). also look to see if the other companies cover rental and towing. there are many warranties that offer excellent coverage at sometimes half the price. working for a dealer, i have seen the offerings from different companies, right now we are selling warranties by CNA. we have had excellent service with them and they do cover rental and towing and if you are stuck out of town they also cover hotel stay. the best part is that if you purchase a warranty that is a longer term and higher in miles (6-year/100,000 miles) they tend to be about half of what the comparable GM warranty costs. food for thought...

Ryan

Kent Tuttle
11-21-2002, 12:36
Does anyone know if GM offers a extended warranty passed 75K miles? I will have approx 90K at the 3 year mark.