PDA

View Full Version : Blown Haedgasket ?

deerhunter7
02-01-2004, 10:42
Has been down to 24 below and noticed a lot off grey to white exhaust smoke . Leave a stop light and could hardly see car behind me .First thought just because of the cold temps. Checked anti-freeze today and plastic tank only has a couple off inches in it . I think this explains all the smoke . Headgasket ?? Will call Dealer Monday. Only 24000 miles no modes but amzoil air filter and Racor pre filter. :confused:

saywhat
02-01-2004, 13:42
My exhaust smokes quite a bit when it is below zero.Usually clears up after every thing is warmed up,takes a lot when it is as cold as of lately.Any diesel will smoke when it is exxtremely cold.Just look at the semi-tractors on the interstate when it is below zero.I made a 4 a.m. trip up to Bloomer when it was 12 below,she really sucked the fuel down and a little pedal would get the exhaust to show up even after the engine was up to temp.When I purchased my truck I put a mark at the cold level on the coolant tank.I just added 12 oz. to bring it back up.Thats after 30,000 miles and two winters.Seems like mine went down very slowly in the winter months.When it gets really cold coolant leaks where it normally does not.I am hoping thats where mine went.At my next oil change I will be doing an oil sample,hope it shows no coolant.Good luck with yours

Runaway
02-01-2004, 15:16
Saturday I made a run from Green Bay - Hurley and back. Was below zero when I left, was still puffing white when I got to Wittenberg, and still when I left Wausau. Takes a long time to warm diesels up, especially in the below zero temps

dmaxalliTech
02-01-2004, 15:34
If you continue to smoke white even after the truck is warmed up, I would think more injector issue then headgaskets. All of the headgasket issues I have seen involve a sudden drop in temp, coolant out overflow, excess pressure in the cooling system or an external leak.

Kennedy
02-01-2004, 15:42
Or fuel quality/supply...

SoMnDMAX
02-01-2004, 15:56
Simple- keep an eye on the coolant level. If it drops, you got a problem.

During last weeks cold spell mine rarely would stop smoking. Just look around at all the other vehicles- they were doing it too- everything from Geo Metros to the Peterbilt pulling a trailer.

Again, keep an eye on the coolant level, but I thnik all is well.

deerhunter7
02-01-2004, 19:29
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SoMnDMAX:
[QB] Simple- keep an eye on the coolant level. If it drops, you got a problem.

Thats what I stated. Just had the engine oil changed and antifreeze was at the level . About 500 miles ago , now clear tank only has 2 inches in it. This is the third winter with truck and I have never had to add antifreeze. I have never seen a cloud behind me like this..

saywhat
02-10-2004, 10:42
The 12 oz. of coolant I added started disappearing fast.Got the truck in the warm shop and took a look-ski,it is coming out of the weep hole {just behind the radiator hose}on the water pump.Still under warranty, barely.Glad I caught it now.Looks like a bear to change.Deerhunter7,what did you find out with your coolant loss?Sounds like yours was leaking much worse than mine.

deerhunter7
02-10-2004, 15:54
saywhat , It's got me scratching my head. Filled it back up and has stayed full. Maybe an air bubble and it released some gas ? The way these things smoke at 20 below I was sure it was a head gasket. But in this case I would rather be wrong.. ;)