PDA

View Full Version : GM Supplier discount

Dan Herr
02-01-2004, 14:52
I went to the dealer on Saturday to see about ordering a 2500HD SLE, ex cab SB, 4WD, LLY, ZF 6 spd, etc.

With snow plow prep, locking diff, and a bunch of other options, the MSRP is $33,812 + 6,323 options + 850 delivery = $40,985 sticker.

Dealer said my supplier price is $36,389.

I checked pricing today on Edmunds.com, and it shows an MSRP of $41,071 and invoice of $35,944.

I had thought the Supplier price was somewhere under invoice. Does anyone have experience with this?

[ 02-01-2004, 02:15 PM: Message edited by: jbplock ]

jbplock
02-01-2004, 15:09
Dan,

I bought my 03 with the GM supplier discount in Oct02 and the price was 12% off MSRP. If I remember correctly the GMS price was also 3% below invoice. It may be different now..

Also did they show you the printout? When I bought mine they showed me all the details including the invoice price.

Boss Hoss 502
02-01-2004, 20:20
Bill is right as I have bought several vehicles over the years this way. The GMS price is 3% under invoice and you also get any rebates applicable at the time.

OC_DMAX
02-02-2004, 05:46
If I remember correctly, there are different levels of discount. There are supplier discounts and employee discounts. The GMS/GMO are the employee discounts. The supplier discounts are less.

For many years, the employee discounts were relatively stable. Used to receive a brochure in the mail each year with the discount tables. If you ordered a full size truck, the employee discount was 18%. Over the last several years, GM has been changing the rates. Two years ago, when I bought my truck, the GMO(order) discount was 17% while the take from dealer stock discount (GMS)was roughly 15%. Not sure what they are today.

You should be able to get a pretty good price though. Even if you get a 10% supplier discount (zero hassle factor) and then get the rebates they are offering, you should be in excellent shape. THE TRUCK IS NOW PRICED WHERE IT SHOULD BE!! I think these manufactures need to just lower the Suggested Retail Price and get rid of all the games. What an idea!

Dan Herr
02-02-2004, 09:37
I talked to my dealer today. He said the GM Supplier price is below invoice - that Edmunds.com failed to add the dealer advertising component to the invoice price. When advertising is added, the Supplier price is below invoice.

So I placed my order and hope to have it in 6-8 weeks.

TSimpler
02-02-2004, 10:18
How do I get I, an average nobody, get a supplier discount???

Thanks
Trent

dmaxmule
02-02-2004, 11:19
Dan, I just ordered a truck last week with the supplier discount. The dealer should show you the invoice. It will have the supplier discount and the GM employee discount listed on it. My dealer showed this to me. There hands are pretty much tied once you say you get the supplier discount.

The only haggling left is on the trade in; however, they will probally only give you book price for your trade. To trade in my Toyota(see sig), they were only going to give $3,000. I talked them up to $4,000. I have now decided not to trade.

My truck is listed in my signature. Should be in at the end of March.

base = $35,785.00
options = $5,360.00
total = $41,145.00
destination charge = $850.00
grand total = $41,995.00
supplier price = $37,214.68

On the invoice, they showed me GMS was about $400 under invoice, and GM employee was about $1,900 under invoice. I do not remember what car this was on. The type of vehicle and location play a big part in how all of this is factored.

Hey, I like the LLY 6-speed combination.

:D smile.gif :cool: dmaxmule

jbplock
02-02-2004, 12:09
Originally posted by Dan Herr:
... I placed my order and hope to have it in 6-8 weeks. Dan, Congratulations on your decision!! :D Now the hard part... waiting... smile.gif

jbplock
02-02-2004, 12:23
Originally posted by TSimpler:
How do I get I, an average nobody, get a supplier discount??? Trent,

The GM Supplier discount is usually available to employees of companies that do business with GM. I've also seen dealers in my area advertise that they give the GMS price to everybody. One disadvantage of using GMS is that GM card earnings cannot be applied toward the purchase price.

Try this link for more info: GMS FAQs (http://www.gmsupplierdiscount.com/getInfo.gm?page=faq#whoiseligible)

smile.gif

Rockin
02-02-2004, 14:38
Go to www.fightingchance.com (http://www.fightingchance.com) and order their packet for the truck you are interested in. Write up a fax with exactly the specs you want and fax it to the sales manager for 6-15 dealers in your area. They will bid for the lowest price which will be lower than GMS and probably the GM employee price.

I don't work for fighting chance but have used their method a couple times and have a few friends that have done the same.

TSimpler
02-02-2004, 19:06
Thanks guys, you helped a lot.

Trent

OC_DMAX
02-03-2004, 12:43
A word of caution;

Unless things have changed over the last couple of years, the "GMS" price listed on the dealer invoice is one version of the "GM employee" discount price. There were two discount options for employees: GMO and GMS. The "GMO" option is when the employee "Orders" the vehicle. The "GMS" option is when the employee buys the vehicle out of dealer "Stock". Do not confuse the GMS price (or terminology) on the dealer invoice with a Supplier Discount. I have exercised the GM employee discount plan many times over the last 10 years. The last time I used it, I purchased my current truck at the GMS price (which was about a 15.5% discount from Suggested Retail) These plans have changed over the years. As of 2 years ago, the above was correct.

Your local dealer will not be able to get under the GMS price (In my opinion).

Like I commented above, things might have changed during the last couple of years. Maybe if there is a GM sales person on the forum, they can comment on this,,,,, GMS versus Supplier Discount

JB6600
02-03-2004, 14:05
GMO has been discontinued the last I heard.All GM employee's now get the GMS price and if they order a vehicle,it is ordered to dealers stock under that employee's name and sold to him at GMS.If you look at the paper work,there is no GMO pricing.This has happened within the last year..........JB.
http://www.chevrolet.com/medium_duty/kodiak/images/c4500_business/th_versahauler.jpg
Any day now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OC_DMAX
02-03-2004, 14:56
Sounds good to me! I need to log-in to the GM Family first website to see what the current plans are!

The last time I bought a vehicle was 11/06/01. Anyway, it looks as if GMS is still on the dealer invoice paperwork and GMS is the employee discount, not the supplier discount.

I have had access to the employee discount plan for about 20 years now. It has slowly been eroded in value. Guess GM has to do that in-order to make any money, especially when they are offering $4500 rebates, etc on top of the discount.