PDA

View Full Version : Ran out of Diesel with 1/4 tank on Gauge

TSimpler
02-02-2004, 10:30
As all stories start off "no $hi*, there I was" driving along just starting to think about needing to fill up and the truck dies. I drop it into nutural and coast into a gas station. Yes I said gas, NO DIESEL. Just my luck. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I did a quick check of the engine area and when I opened the bleader screw foam came out :confused: So i tapped on the tank a few times, empty as my wallet :eek:

Anyone else had this problem?? It is at the stealers as I type this. I would like to be able to let them know of other possible problems that might be caused by running out of fuel

I was able to get 2 gallons of diesel, prime the system, get to a station that had diesel and fill up with 26.3 gallons. On a 26 gallon tank. That let me know I truly was empty.

Thanks
Trent

Kennedy
02-02-2004, 10:58
I guess what they should look to do is "sweep" the float for the gauge and see if the gauge responds correctly, and that the float moves freely.

Not sure where you thumped the tank, but there is a large plastic skid shield that covers the entire bottom, so you likely did not thump that.

Sounds like a gauge issue, but it wouldn't hurt to see if the pickup hose is intact and leak free also.

dakotakid
02-02-2004, 16:25
I never had any problems with mine - other than the tank was too small!! My OEM tank "low fuel" light came on with 3 gallons left in the tank. I recently replaced it with a 45 gallon transfer flow tank, and now my light comes on with 10 gallons remaining...

TSimpler
02-02-2004, 18:56
Thanks Kennedy, I thumped it on the side, not easy to do, and it was empty. It was never very correct to begin with.

I will make sure they sweep the guage to make sure it is correct.

Trent

ALLAMERICAN1
02-04-2004, 08:09
I just had the fourth fuel tank sending unit installed in my truck a couple of weeks ago. I am fighting with GMC right now to see if they are going to extend my extended warranty or what. Sounds like the same problem I have had. My wife has run out of fuel twice and I have twice always shows at least 1/4 tank on the gauge. I have never even seen a low fuel light. The Service writer where I have the truck worked on say's they replace alot of these units. The strange thing to me is that my partner has the exact same truck and has never had a problem. It kind of tells me that something else in the truck is causing these sending units to go out. If you have any ideas let me know. It's only a matter of time till the next one goes.

Mike

TanM998
02-07-2004, 19:48
There was a problem with the diesel fuel that "some" fuel stations have. When the fuel was introduced to the sending unit, it would "attach" itself to the electrodes that are used to send the "level" to the gauge. There was an improvement in the later 03 trucks to correct this issue. Other then that, there isn't a problem with the gauge or the sender from what I am aware of... just a for-warner though... DO NOT LET THE LIGHT TURN ON... if it does... get to the station.... quick...

Scott
'85 Tan M998