PDA

View Full Version : Stock Duramax vs Chipped Slowstroke

Paul Nelson
11-21-2002, 13:10
I just picked up a 2002 K3500, bone stock, two guys I hang with are begging me to line up this weekend with my new ride.

Do I stall them or line up?

What will happen? How Bad?

After the juice is installed, I was told the truck will not go over like 94?

Thanks for the help, these two guys need a good _ _s Kicking!

SoMnDMAX
11-21-2002, 14:12
Don't get too headstrong here. The Dmax's run, and run well, but a properly set up Powerstroke can beat the socks off a stock Dmax. Period.

Practice launching the truck. Go with what you think feels the best.

Paul Nelson
11-21-2002, 14:14
So, I better not even line up eh?

How good was the headlight kit? How much?

SoMnDMAX
11-21-2002, 14:26
Oh, line them up. It can't hurt. Just bear in mind there's a possibility you could lose. The Dmax isn't the quickest all the time.

Headlight kit- works great, work as advertised!! I'm very happy with it. Use the search function in the 2500HD Trucks and Drivetrain forum, and also in the Accessories forum for more info about it. The harness itself, according to John's site is $135. The harness including 70 watt low beams and 100 watt high beams is $205. Worth every penny.

NFLDMAX
11-21-2002, 15:01
I got beat bad last friday by a chipped F350....I need to upgrade soon ;)

George Gozelski
11-21-2002, 19:27
Paul, I'd just smile and put them off for a while longer until your truck breaks in. They know what they're in for, they just don't want to believe that your Dmax will beat them. They're Ford guys and it's not their fault, you will teach them later...............after you install the juice and intake and exhaust! I know it's tempting but just keep putting them off.....trust me, it will be SWEETER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

mackin
11-21-2002, 19:52
How chipped is chipped ????? Are they working with in the means of the stock tranny???? I'm such a instigator !!!!!!!

MAC :D

SoCalDieselNewbie
11-21-2002, 19:54
Paul...

Let it rip!

If you beat them, you can gloat about beating a modified Powerjoke.

If you don't, you'll be more motivated to get some HP.

It is a win-win situation.

Paul Nelson
11-22-2002, 10:03
The guy I'm racing is the distributor for the Juice chips/programmer, he will be selling me one when I get the money, I know he's got the hot chip for Ford in, and yes it is a stock tranny, they were racing last weeekend and he was telling me that the engine light was coming on. Didn't bother him though.

I'll post a reply on Monday, Yahoooo.

Truck has 23k on it, so it's ready.

DieselDennis
11-22-2002, 10:07
You better get some juice and race him soon. Better be careful about staying stock for so long. Pretty soon all the Ford guys will have 6.0s and then you'll get beat stock vs. stock. :eek:

Blacktruck-1
11-22-2002, 13:17
I dont know about all that business with the new Navistar/Stroke. If the Ford versions are anything at all like their new medium duty cousins ther are some issues surfacing already. We have three new 6 ltr vvt powered bucket trucks at work and two are already spending more time back at the dealer (Rechtien) in Miami than on the road. One truck in another service center was rumored to have blown the motor already! I am trying to get the documents that the fleet services group has received from Navistar about potential problems. Should be some interesting reading. On a positive note--they do run like a scalded ape ! --when they are running. :D

Paul Nelson
11-22-2002, 13:30
Before I bought this new Chev, I checked into the 2003 Ford new motor, the salesperson told me they just took one out and tested it against the Duramax and the Dodge, said it went up a hill with 10K #'s 9mph faster than the Chev. It's supposedly a lot quieter as well. I'm sure they still have the 1970 Dodge interior though. They just can't seem to find any ergonomics on the interiors.

I will post a reply on Monday how bad I get beat by these two chipped up Fords.

NutNbutGMC
11-22-2002, 20:04
^...A Slow-stroke will smoke a Duramax most any day and every day if it gets to 97 MPH. Slow-stroke??? NOT...

George Gozelski
11-24-2002, 14:55
I'll have to wait and see about that new 6.0 Ford motor. I think Ford should have "revamped" their 7.3!