PDA

View Full Version : Need a dealership recommecdation

Wally R
02-02-2004, 15:06
Have been chasing what sounds to me is a fuel knock in my Duramax. The selling dealer is trying to tell me that it is a normal noise. I don't buy it. Not sure if they are incompetant, lazy or both. Can anyone recommend a Chev dealer in the Charlotte, NC area where you have found good service on your Duramax ?? Have had 2 other problems that this dealer couldn't or wouldn't fix and ended up fixing them myself. I figure this is their third strike and it's time to go elsewhere. Thanks very much.

jbplock
02-02-2004, 15:53
Wally,

I can't help you with the NC dealer question but can you describe the knock and the conditions under which you hear it? Maybe we can help you identify the the cause. smile.gif

Wally R
02-02-2004, 16:11
Bill:
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like what a loose rocker arm would sound like in a gas engine. However, it is load & rpm sensative. Won't do it in neutral. Gets louder with increased load & increased throttle. Notice it especially when towing trailer. Starts to come in around 1700 RPM.
I'm thinking a weak injector ?? Or is it possible that the pilot injection is shutting off too soon or is not working ??
Thanks.

jbplock
02-03-2004, 04:56
Originally posted by Wally R:
... I'm thinking a weak injector ?? Wally,
I don't have any personal experience with this type of noise but from what I have read your symptoms may point to an injector. Try a search on "injector noise" for more info... You may also get more responses if you include "injector noise ?" in the title of the topic..
smile.gif

BVOYLES
02-03-2004, 16:29
Wally,

I've got the same noise as you, drives me crazy. Like your truck, it sounds like a loose rocker arm. It comes on at about 1800 to 2000 rpm and is throttle sensitive. Comes on at about 1/2 throttle usually while climbing a hill or towing. If I back of the throttle slightly the noise goes away. I know it's not a loose rocker because of the throttle sensitivity. Also it's not the pilot injection because I can hear it shut off at about 2400 rpm. I haven't brought my truck to the dealer yet (still have 4 1/2 years of warranty left) hopeing it will get better on it's own. Anyway Wally, if you find out what the noise is, let us know!

2fast2
02-09-2004, 11:06
Wally,
I'm in Albemarle and looking for a competent dealer too. I was hoping somebody in Charlotte would know about the Duramax / Allison and understand customer service.
Please let me know if you find anybody worth visiting in our area.
Thanks
Jim

Wally R
02-10-2004, 08:07
Jim:
I certainly will post it if I find a competent dealership service dept. No luck so far. Hard to believe that no one has posted anything postive about dealer service in North Carolina. ARE THERE NO COMPETENT DEALER SERVICE TECHS AT ALL IN NORTH CAROLINA ?????????????

Dawg
02-10-2004, 16:59
Are you sure it's not the pilot injector shuting off? Someone here with more more experience can give you the specific details if needed. If it is the pilot injectors shuting off it is a normal thing.

dieseldog62
02-18-2004, 06:24
Wally,
Do you ever notice any abnormal smoke from exhaust while noise is present?