PDA

View Full Version : Duramax owner needs your help

thechevyhdman
11-21-2002, 15:38
Hey Id just say I need your help but WTF it aint mine smile.gif . My brother just picked up an 03' And was talking to him about it today and yada yada.... He asks me what oil pressure I get on start-up. I say 80 psi to the max. Hes only getting 60 psi, on start up and 30 warmed-up at idle. Doesnt sound too kosher to me... Only 500 miles on his truck. With 25,500 miles I see 40 warmed up and under 50 degrees my gauge is pinned. Should he be worried or not. Oil is nice and high no leaks etc.

D-max Man
11-21-2002, 17:35
Before I left Isuzu, they were talking about making a change to the Pressure relief valve in order to drop the pressure a bit. Too many people were complaining about the pressure being too high and they really didn't need that much anyway.

I don't know for certain that this is what happened to your brother?s truck but I still wouldn't be worried with the pressures you stated.

stretch
11-21-2002, 17:45
chevyhdman,
My truck has 18,000 miles on it and the oil pressure was like you described for your truck, never dropping below 40 psi. At about the 12k mark, I noticed that the pressure has dropped on mine a bit, 32-35 range hot, but cold it still pins the gauge. I asked the service manager at the dealer what he thought caused the sudden drop and the retart told me anything over 8 (maybe 18 but I can't remember now) was fine at an idle hot and is within spec. Nevertheless, my truck runs fine and nothing else has changed. I know this doesn't help your brother but he ain't the only one. :(

Amianthus
11-22-2002, 09:14
I wouldn't be too worried about that oil pressure. The only things I would think would be feasable to lower pressure would be having the wrong oil in it. But it should still have the factory fill in it, so no problems there.

stretch, stay as far away from that dealer as you can. If he thinks that 18 psi is okay for your engine, you don't want him anywhere near your truck.

Jelisfc
11-22-2002, 09:18
My oil pressure is around 80 when cold, 60+ crusing, and 40 ish at idle. '03 w/1100 miles.

hoot
11-22-2002, 09:20
If they did in fact lower the oil pressure, it's probably in response to the infamous "tick".

DieselDennis
11-22-2002, 11:48
Hey DMax Man,

You say "since you left ISUZU" Do you consider Duramax Ltd. and ISUZU two different corporations? Or are you out of the Duramax engine business altogether.

D-max Man
11-22-2002, 17:21
Dennis,

I worked at the Isuzu Technical Center, in Plymouth, Michigan. (Not D-Max ltd.)
D-Max LTD is a Joint venture with GM and Isuzu and therefore it has ties to both companies but it is a separate company.

I am no longer the inside man for the Duramax project (But I still have contacts there). I moved over to Detroit Diesel last July.

I still do warranty investigations but on bigger engines now. I mostly work with the 60 Series but our Dept. does see parts from all of the engines DDC sells