PDA

View Full Version : Smoke and miss?

Landscaper
08-12-2002, 21:37
I have a 02 C3500 Crewcab D\6spd with 8000mls.
Lately I have noticed that the engine seems to be either predetonating or missing. Its not real noticable but it reminds me of a gasser under a load sound and I don't remember it doing it origianaly.

Also I'm getting smoke under heavy acceleration while towing. It usually does it at2800-3200rpms in 2-3gear. It will feel almost like the power levels off for a second and will give a 1-2sec burst of black smoke. It has just started doing this recently but has done it over several tanks from differant stations. And the pilot inj. almost never cuts off even above 2600 with the pedal floored. It will occasionally cut out but never for more than 1-2sec.
I'm still getting good mpg and don't seem to be down on power. Any comments, suggestions, cussin or discussin.

thechevyhdman
08-13-2002, 00:05
Well personally I think revving her up to 2800to 3200 rpms is gonna definitely cause some smoke not matter what I mean the engines dumping some serious fuel at high.. almost redlined rpms. The predetonating you hear is at what Idle or what rpms, or constant, It might just be the Dmax tick. Or could a bad injector cause some predetonating?
PS Landscaper/(Sanitary Engineer Myself) Run Scag Every way I can, Turf Tigers been flawless so far minus, hyd. hoses and a spindle Almost at 1,000 hrs with her, seats shot. What engine you running on it. etc. Gmanjr96@aol.com Give me a Hollar sometime

Nels
08-13-2002, 09:22
You're not getting the rpm's up against the speed limiter, are you? IIRC, the top end is around 3200-3300 rpm? What are the symptoms of these engines when they are revved up to their maximum governed speed, and the computer starts to defuel the engine? I don't know the symptoms, as I have not yet tried it. It was just a thought.

Landscaper
08-13-2002, 19:08
Rev limiter is at 3400rpms this happens before I hit that. The funny thing is it just started doing this all of a sudden. I don't normally run the rpms that high but occasionally must in order to get up to speed fast(we have some screwy interstate ramps around here) It just doesn't seem like its supposed to do that. The predetonation sound happens in the 12-1500rpms range under all conditions. Its not the tick I had that but its dissapeared. :D Its just strange that it would start belching smoke all off a sudden. I've never seen any of the other diesels do this. I don't want to look like an old mack truck driving down the road smoking like a furnace. My tail gate is starting to turn black with diesel soot and its all been in the last month. :confused: It stayed clean before. Who knows?