PDA

View Full Version : Now what???

rsgs
02-03-2004, 05:05
Came out to the truck this morning and found the engine heater plug fused to the extension cord I had it plugged into. Not only that, but half the plastic plug was torn up. It didn

crafty
02-03-2004, 05:24
My problem didn't happen at the plug end of the cord but down on the block heater end. I just finished having my block heater replaced because I kept blowing the fuse on the plug in. At first I thought it was the cord on the heater that was shorting out. I had a new cord installed and then I still blew the fuse. I tried a new extension cord, disconnected the timer and all seemed fine so I assumed that was the trouble. Three days later I blew the fuse again and this time the heater was dead too. I went back to the dealer and they replaced the heater itself and put a new cord on it too because when the heater shorted this time it melted the cord. I guess I was lucky that that there was no fire.
I've used the heater twice since using my timer and the old extension cord and everything worked great. I am left to assume that the problem was the heater in the block all along. :D :D :D

rsgs
02-03-2004, 06:00
You know, I wonder if that is my problem too. I had the same issue. I have installed a electrical box out on the side of my drive where I have plugged my diesels in for 10 years now. Just lately, it keep popping the GFI. I thought maybe the box had some water in it so I ran an extension cord to another outlet. Then this happens. I think I'll have the dealer check it out. Thanx for the reply.

dmaxalliTech
02-03-2004, 17:33
I too am just starting to have this trouble. Looks like its time for a new block heater/cord.

rsgs
02-05-2004, 10:16
You're going to love this one. I took my truck to the dealer to check out the engine block heater. He tells me "there is no problem with the cord, it must be my house". CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS! What the hell is going on with these dealers these days! First, the problem with warranty not covering my filter problem, now this? This is so frustrating... They want $130.00 to put in a new cord. Really makes me want to buy another GM product.

DmaxMaverick
02-05-2004, 11:08
Sure........

They tell you that there is nothing wrong with the cord, denying any warranty coverage. But are willing to charge you $130 to replace it. Is it just me, or does this have a familiar odor? Good thing dealers like that are around to tell us stupid people what to do....

crafty
02-06-2004, 05:40
I printed off this Thread and faxed it to my sales rep. I also suggested that he give a copy to the Service Manager. I wanted them to see that there were other out there having the same trouble.
When I started to blow fuses you could actually see sparks on the side of the block or hear the snap if the hood wasn't open. You should be able to put a tester on the cord to see if it is the heater or cord. I was three weeks over the 3 years and 4500 kms over the 60,000 and they still covered the whole thing under warranty. This included renting me a car for one day while they worked on it. I bought from a dealer 30 miles from home and I knew there was a reason why I did that!!!! :D :D :D