PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Used Truck - now I Have Questions

Rebel_Horseman
11-22-2002, 08:12
Well I'm now officially a diesel nut. I was a nut before and finally bought my first diesel. I have a few questions that maybe ya'll can answer for me:

1. The oil was recently changed and I believe they used Mobil oil(I don't think it was synthetic). I want to use Rotella when the next oil change is due. Would it be wiser to stick with what the engine is used to? What is the oil change intervals on these trucks?

2. I checked the trannie fluid last night. The fluid was slightly red but clear and didn't smell burnt. The truck has 41,000 miles on it. Should I change it? When? How involved is changing the trannie fluid?

3. Any other maintainence I should do other than the obvious?

4. When I launch from a stop light I hear a ticking coming from the rear f the truck like thin metal rubing together (almost like rubbing styrofoam together). Any ideas? The truck has a single piece steel drive shaft...can it be lubed, and would this cause the ticking sound?

5. I guess it's late to ask, but how does the AmSoil filter that Kennedy sells compare to the K&N filter? (I hope it's better because I ordered it yesterday :D )

6. I'm thinking about cutting the muffler off and putting a straight pipe on it. I love the sound, but I'm concerned it's a bad idea. Is there a warranty concern here? Anyone had problems with this?

7. Are there any problem areas I should work on to prevent a breakdown or problem in the future?

8. Is there a way to check to see what program updates have been done on this truck? Also, is there a way to put this truck back into fast learn mode?

9. Where's the best place to buy fuel. Is all diese the smae is what I'm actually asking. Most times I'm going to fill up at a truck stop but there might be an occassion or 3 that I'm off on the back roads.

10. What, if any, fuel additives should I use? When do I need to use them?

11. I"m sure there's something I've missed. If ya'll have any more input for me I'd appreciate it.

Thanks for the help ya'll.

Reb [><]

[ 11-22-2002: Message edited by: Rebel_Horseman ]</p>

chuntag95
11-22-2002, 08:56
First, welcome!
1. No, change to what you want to use. The interval is a. when the computer tells you b. every 5000 miles for heavy duty use or c. 7500 miles for light use. Read the manual cover to cover.
2. Yes, the change frequency for the transmission is 25K (I think, read the book) for staight Dexron III, 50K for Dexron Transynd mix and 100K for all Transynd. Also, don't forget to change the spin on filter (I recommend every oil filter change). There is a magnet on the top of the filter that needs to be cleaned and put on the new filter. Find an Allison dealer to get the filter and maybe a spare magnet. They are MUCH cheaper there than the GM dealer. Search for how to on the page here.
3. If the front and rear differential fluids have not been changed, then they will need it. The rear is synthetic (4 quarts) and the front (if 4x4, 2 quarts) is not. I put synthetic in both. If 4x4, you should do the transfer case (2 quarts). Might want to change the fuel filter as well.
4. Pass
5. Opinions go both ways, but I personally think the Amsoil is better and run it in mine.
6. That's going to be really loud! Some have done it and should chime in on there thoughts. I think DmaxDiva put a muffler back on.
7. Fuel Filter addition TBD. Maybe a remote by-pass dual oil filter.
8. I think there is a web site you type your vin in. Do a search.
9. Keep an extra fuel filter with you and try to stay at the large volume stations. Sometimes you might not have a choice, hence the extra filter.
10. Total Power and Stanadyne are the two most commonly discussed. Do a search on additives as there was a long thread on this subject very recently.
11. Use the search a lot at first to answer your questions. Most all have been asked and debated before.
Hope this at least gets you started.

chipper
11-22-2002, 09:55
Reb,
For #8 go here : http://vci.ecomm.gm.com/vci/

Maverick
11-22-2002, 20:55
#4 sounds like the u-joints are shot and will need replacing. Did it on mine.

Paintdude
11-22-2002, 21:33
Great list Chris..I am gonna print that one out.. smile.gif

afp
11-23-2002, 10:33
#5 has been a hotly debating topic with fewfacts and lots of emotion driving most folks opinions. Do a search on K&N or K&N vs AMzoil and see what you come up with.

Blaine

DMAXDiva
11-23-2002, 11:13
Yep, I put a straight on the truck for a SHORT period of time, then went for the Banks. There are some folks with straights that really like them, and certainly to each his/HER own... ;) I just could'nt deal with the BRAAAAAAPPPPPing (geez, I MUST be gettin' old!). There was a young guy that hasn't posted in awhile (can't remember his name) that straight-piped his new Banks and raved about how awesome it sounded...I would have liked to have heard that just fer grins!

I went initially with the K&N air filter, but am seriously considering the Amsoil. Again, personal preference, but have read and heard too many negative opinions on the K&N from some very wise and learned individuals! ;)

Best of luck to you...

afp
11-23-2002, 12:51
Diva,

Unfortunately, we don't have much more than ancedotal explanations concering filtering right now. IE, because "X" happened it must mean "Y." Neither K&N or Amzoil seems to have enough kahonies to do a heads up test. I see K&N comparing their filters with the old style foam elements (like the early Amsoil, which was not a good filter), and I see Amsoil talking about filtering efficiency with no flow numbers. In other words, they are only doing tests where their own product will do well, which is not suprising.

It was claimed the K&N doesn't filter dirt and the future oil analysis results from K&N equipped trucks would show the dirt it passed as increased silicone levels. Now, several K&N equipped trucks have had oil analysis results with low silicone. This is still ancedotal, because we don't really know what effect the K&N had on the silicone levels. Of course, those who despise K&N never consider that maybe the filter did indeed do it's job. In addition, a high silicone reading from an Amsoil equipped rig is explained as anything but a problem with the design of the filter. Once again, it is purely ancedotal.

George Morrison doesn't really like K&N, but even he says that the real test of the filter's effectiveness is in the oil analysis, and if the oil analysis is coming back okay than you are fine.

The reults of the K&N vs Amzoil vs paper tests posted a while back were interesting. It was a limited test, as the only way to determine the amount of dirt passed was by visual inspection on a white background. Even so, the paper was the worst, the K&N appeared to be dramatically better, and the Amsoil slightly better than the K&N. Not what the anti K&Ners normally claim. On top of that, there were no flow numbers associated with the test, and flow numbers really need to be accounted for to determine how much dirt per cfm is being passed. All we can really say from the test is the paper filter doesn't appear to filter as well as the other types, and the K&N and Amzoil appear to be close.

I hope someone does post the results of a comprehensive test of filtering efficiecny comparing the K&Ns, Amsoils, and paper filters of various configurations and include flow numbers as well. I think such a test will be the only relibale way to learn the objective truth about the various filters.

Okay, I am off my "anti-junk science" soap box now..................

Blaine

Blaine

hoot
11-23-2002, 13:23
I like the straight pipe. Diesels sound different than gassers with modified exhaust no matter what brand you use or straight. It's the turbo that messes with the pulses.

The nice thing about the straight pipe is it can be permanent or temporary with litlle cost.

I use Total Power additive.

See sig for other stuff.

Tranny fluid change is real easy especially if you don't bother with the flush method.

Just drain (there is a drain plug) and change the spin on filter.
If you are a stickler...

Drain, remove the pan, replace the sump filter and wipe out the pan including the magnet in the pan.
Reuse the gasket cause it's made for life.
Replace the spin on filter and remember the circlar magnet on it. Transfer after wiping clean to the new filter.

To flush see notes in my signature.

Rebel_Horseman
11-25-2002, 09:30
Hoot:

How long is your straight pipe? I need to figure out how much to scrounge for. The pipe is 3.5" right?

Reb [&gt;&lt;]