PDA

View Full Version : Winter fuel treatment

Tdawg
11-22-2002, 09:06
It just snowed here in Mi and I'm looking for a winter fuel anti gel treatment,,looks like Amsoil has a good fuel treatment but just wondering what everyone here uses ,,thanks all

Amianthus
11-22-2002, 09:52
I use Power Service. Mainly because it can be had at any Wal-Mart (read anywhere). Stanadyne is good. Amsoil is okay. The stuff that Kennedy sells is good too. There are several that are good out there. You should find one you're comfortable with and stick with it.

MaxACL
11-22-2002, 16:33
Amianthus, Use caution with Power Service. the label shows "ether/alcohol so-and-so" and I've seen many places that staunchly forbids ether or alcohol into the pumps or injectors. I use to use it and quit. Using the Amsol stuff now.

mackey_62
11-22-2002, 17:05
was using power service, but got scared about alcohol. would feel better if they'd state "NO ALCOHOL" on the bottle. Agree that it is readily available.
Using stanadyne now, specifically says "NO ALCOHOL" on bottle. Basically same price, but harder to get.

Corndog
11-22-2002, 18:17
I use Power Service fuel supplement + cetane boost and states on there web site as to not have any alcohol of any kind.
Here's the link:

http://www.powerservice.com/dieselfuel_supplement_cetaneboost_bulkMarine.asp

corndog

george morrison
11-22-2002, 18:24
I have been using the Primrose 409 which combines cold weather with injector detergency, cetane boost, lubricity enhancers and John Kennedy and my favorite water EMULSIFIERS to keep that water locked up, precluding injection system free water damage AND free water freeze up anywhere in the system... Power Service and Stanadyne both have Demulsifer action, which is the last thing in the world one would want for winter operation; i.e. free water settling into the filter...

George Morrison

FirstDiesel
11-22-2002, 18:39
Okay, now here come the questions again.

First, George, where do you get this stuff you are using??

Second, John K, is the FPPF Total Power an emulsifer or demulsifer??

Third, when I first joined this forum and got my DMax there was a lot of talk about algae in the fuel and needing an algacide. All of a sudden no one mentions this any more. The questions are the following. Do any of the fuel treatments, like FPPF, prevent algae?? If not where do you get an algacide, I've been looking in the truckers area of the truck stops and never see any. Last, is it a good idea to treat for algae as a preventative measure??

Thanks

Corndog
11-22-2002, 18:59
George

How can you tell if an additive is a emulsifier or demulsifier, if it is not stated on the bottle or web site.

corndog

NoMo
11-24-2002, 10:30
From the information they present both on the bottle and on their website, Power Service disperses (ie. emulsifies) water.

george morrison
11-24-2002, 13:46
To the best of my knowledge Power Service does not address the water issue either way, rather neutral. I just re-read everything on the Power Services site and I see nowhere a mention of 'dispersing water' etc. other than keeping it from freezing. I may have overlooked it.
I recently spoke with a Power Services tech rep and he indicated that their position is to not affect water.
The two additives that advertise (and do) actively emulsifiy water are Primrose and FPPF.
The addtive that actively demulsifies water in fuel is Stanadyne.

NoMo
11-24-2002, 14:24
http://www.powerserviceproducts.com/prod01.html

Under the "Year-Around:" section just above the fuel supplement table it says no alcohol. Right above that it says it disperses water. It also says it on the (32oz) bottle.

Maverick
11-24-2002, 16:33
Where can you buy Total Power? Auto store?

FirstDiesel
11-24-2002, 16:58
Maverick

JK sells the Total Power, I want to know about the Primrose.

Diesel to the MAX
11-25-2002, 11:03
FirstDiesel, go here for info on Primrose

http://www.northwestoil.com/fuel.htm

You can email them to get a dist. list.

:D

BigLakeDMAX
11-25-2002, 15:22
I just picked up a bottle of Rotella DFA which advertises no alcohol, +3 cetane, detergent, and the ability to separate large amounts of water and disperse small amounts of water. Cost was slightly more than PowerService but still under $5 for 32 oz. at WalMart. More info is available at:

www.rotella.com

technical specs: https://thegenesisnetwork.equilon.com/genesis/prodinfopdf/out/ROTELLA%20DFA.pdf

Don

FirstDiesel
11-25-2002, 18:05
I've been using the Rotella for a few months now. Have no idea how good it is. Guess we really don't know how good any of these additives are until we have a problem and then it's still a guess.
BTW, at the time I started using it I posted the Shell liknk here and asked for an opinion from the experts on this stuff. No one was interested in additives then I guess since no one had an opinion on it.

BTW, Sam's Club sells the Rotella by the case. IIRC it was in the 20's for a case of 6.

Diesel to the MAX
Thanks for the link

[ 11-25-2002: Message edited by: FirstDiesel ]</p>

Jomar
11-25-2002, 21:17
Did anyone notice that on the Northwest Oil ( Primrose ) company page there is a picture of a bottle of Rotella additive ?? What`s up with that !
Jomar

Diesel to the MAX
11-26-2002, 06:43
Jomar, Northwest Oil is a wholesaler. They dist. commonwealth oil products as well as Shell, Exxon and Primrose products. They are not affilated with Primrose other then selling thier products.

Warren

LarryM
11-26-2002, 08:26
Some time back I also asked about Shell DFA and got no feedback.

I have used Power Service, Amsoil, DFA, and one other that I can't remember offhand. I saw no difference between using any of them and not using anything at all. I can't say if any of them helped with real cold weather problems or not as I don't currently spend a lot of time where it gets real cold.

I just started using Stanadyne. Haven't put any in the DuraMax yet, but did put it in my tractors which are in cold country. Not had it in long enough to say one way or another.

Tdawg
11-26-2002, 10:55
Has anyone heard anything good or bad about Howes Diesel treat,,,

Diverguy
11-26-2002, 14:46
Tdawg;
I've used Howe's for four years now without a problem. It does help with lubricity when using winter diesel. I also use Chevron's dieselmotive injector cleaner whenever I go on an extended highway trip. However, until I get my injectors tested there is no quantative data to support my claim..

MtnHighDMAX
12-03-2002, 14:44
Ok, here's another newbie who wants to do the right thing. Live in Denver, I don't think there's too much problem day to day as my truck's always garaged. I do take the truck to the mountains, sometimes overnight with no plug-in and it can get near or below 0. Should I be regularly using an additive in the winter, or just when I will be in the mountains?

Thanks!

4x4man
12-05-2002, 13:24
MtnHighDMAX-

Nice to see another fellow DMAX owner in Colorado. I just picked up an 03 DMAX last night and am absorbing everything I can on how to treat the mighty DMAX good.

As I haven't gone to get diesel yet (full tank when I bought it) I don't know if stations are already on winter blend or what, so I am trying to figure out myself what to use....so much to read....so little time to read it as I want to get out and put more miles on it!!

Bob

Tdawg
12-05-2002, 15:02
Just got a call from a Howes rep last night,,I had emailed them and asked if there were any dangers to using howes in my new Duramax he told me there was absolutly no danger in using the additive in fact there were many many advantages to the Howes.. you can jump on the website to find out..Just thought I'd give you all a update