PDA

View Full Version : 4" Exhaust & EGT

Diesel Freak
11-23-2002, 00:38
How much of an EGT drop have you guys seen when you went to 4" exhaust? Anybody have 5" the entire way?

Has anybody had a significant EGT drop by changing from the stock air filter?

I'm Juiced, but it's gonna be time to be Super Juiced soon!! I realize every probe / gauge is gonna be different, but what are all you guys seeing for max pre turbo EGT?

DMAXDiva
11-23-2002, 09:09
Hi DF:

I installed the pre-turbo pyro right before straight-piping the truck (which lasted about a week before I ordered the Banks...oh my aching ears!)so that I could get some idea of pre and post exhaust-swap numbers. I also had the old v3.2 Juice (but now have the Hottie :D ). I saw an average drop of 150 degrees with the addition of the exhaust, but didn't see any appreciable drop after swapping the stock filter for a K&N. Max EGT I've ever seen has been 1300, but that was only for a second, boost just barely edged 28psi (v3.2, level 4, T/H...have'nt documented Hot juice readings yet, too busy giggling!)...

Now that I'm running the Hot juice, I'm seeing an average 100 degree increase in engine temp, but still within safe limits. To be honest, I haven't paid enough attention to the pyro since upgrading boxes...too busy keepin' my eyes on the road and the big black beast between the ditches (this Hot juice is PHENOMENAL!!! :eek: )

[ 11-23-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>

Oongawah
11-25-2002, 00:28
OK, just installed the Kennedy 4" exhaust tonight. I was thinking to myself that man I remember how loud my Dodge was with just a flowmaster installed. At times it wasn't very desireable especially when you have a headache. This wasn't like that at all. Infact my wife just asked me(she doesn't even know what I'm posting about) if that pipe stuff I put on was supposed to make the truck sound less like a diesel. She said it didn't have that diesel sound when I drove off, and it sounded smoother I did'nt hear the exhaust much when really getting into it either. Just out of couriosity I fired her up before I put the muffler on, and it sounded just a little louder than the 4.7 Dakota did with the flowmaster. This is a quiet diesel. Now for the Edelbrock Shocks. I think I'll put those on tomorrow. I've had those on my last three 4X4's, and love em'. Oh, on the test drive I got a drop of about 200 degrees(no cat). I have my wastegate connected, and I'm suspecting Dmax Diva has it plugged with the temps she's posting. It will run alot cooler with the wastegate plugged. I just like the quicker torque response with it connected. In level 4 floored I used to get 1400+ degrees. I would have to back off the go button when climbing steep hills. I just floored it going up the steepest hill here, and it hit 1400 degrees max(I'm happy). It didn't climb to 1400 til it hit 70mph. I used to have it do that at 30mph. L4 on level ground is about 1200 degrees floored till I hit 70 again when it just shifts into 5th. I'm using regular juice ver 4.61. Hope this helps more than confuse, Chuck.

Diesel Freak
11-25-2002, 11:04
That info does help, I appreciate it. I don't understand what you mean by "quicker torque response" with the wastegate connected. I don't see what difference it would make, boost will still build just as fast, the only difference would be that it won't bleed off at the upper end. Unless this wastegate is totally different than any of the turbos I've worked with. Which is entirely possible! :D :D Has anybody done any comparisons between 4" and 5"?