PDA

View Full Version : 01' to 03' comparison

N.E. TMRPR
09-04-2003, 12:58
Traded in my 01' with 97,000 last month for a new 03' because my dealer was having problems solving a leaky injector issue and because of the time it took them to fix it I leveraged a good deal on the new one. I found quite a few improvements in the 03' over the 01'. The new truck definetly shifts much smoother and holds overdrive much better. I can lug this truck somewhat with my gooseneck and almost have to force the downshift. My 01' would downshift even empty with too much pedal. The dreaded tick is gone but I also noticed that the oil pressure in the 03' is much lower. It idles at 25psi and goes up to about 62 psi at 80 mph. The 01' idled at 35psi and went to about 75 psi at 80 mph. Over all I like this truck better for comfort and drivability especially the electric extendable mirrors. But here's the only problem. I joined the group of low mileage guys out there. My 01' gave me 18 to 19 mpg when new and got up to 21.5 mpg when broken in. This 03' is only getting 15.5 to 16 mpg's now and I don't think it will ever get to the 19 to 20 mark. I live in MA and I'm assuming the Cat on the exhaust might have something to do with it. I already have 4000 miles on it in less than a month and haven't seen any increase in mileage. As far as it's speed and towing ability I had read in the forum that some have complained of a decrease in power. I have not noticed any decrease just a smoother truck. My mileage when towing has been close to my 01' being about 11.5 to 12mpg. My 01' would give me 12 to 13. Didn't know if anyone else has these opinions but I thoughtI'd give mine.

NewEnglandDmax
09-04-2003, 14:29
NETMRPR

I have an 02 I bought new in April. It now has 8000 miles on it. I keep a very detailed log of mileage. It started out abou 14-15 MPG. My best was 21 MPG going up 93 to the White Mountains. I am now averaging 16-18 MPG.

tysmith
09-04-2003, 17:59
I'm getting 18-19, computed by hand, which also matches the DIC. The DIC in my truck is right on the money, with gallons used, mpg, etc. I have 4000 miles, and expect it to get better - my '01 did. I, too, have the cat, so I don't think that's a factor. A buddy of mine is getting similar results with his '03 with cat, and he's a little heavier with the crew cab, and running the Juice. I expect dually's get lower mpg's - my Dodge/Cummins 6 spd gets about 15-17, running a utility body with lots of drag. FWIW, I use Stanadyne Performance Formula, but that doesn't seem to have an affect on MY mileage.
'03 is definitely more refined. Congrats on the new truck.

Ty

smartfix
09-04-2003, 18:15
hello all

Where very happy with our new 03 duramax fleet now.. I feel this is better then the new 6.0 powerchoke units..

And where running both

My personal unit now is a 03 duramax great truck..
We Look forword driving it every day.. Put my personal powerstroke in our fleet now.. Funny thing now is the guys flip who is driving the new duramax's

From steve tongue.gif

JMPDMax
09-04-2003, 21:19
I have an '03 and I have to tell you that they still have the tick. My oil pressures are similar to yours as well. The tick started immediately after the second oil change and still appears intermittently. The older the oil the less the tick appears. BTW, I'm using Delo 400. Also, I think I have an oil leak somewhere at the rear of the engine... I'll post a new topic on that soon.....

Have fun with your truck....

-JP

smitheb
09-05-2003, 05:10
I just returned from a 4,605 mile trip to Newfoundland in my 03 running empty. I averaged 21mpg. The 4WD lights started going crazy and the service engine logo appeared on the way home. The dealer did the 03-04-21-001B TSB and all seems to be working just fine. I get around 14mpg towing my 5th-wheel up to Blackberry on the Kancamagus. Very happy with the truck.