PDA

View Full Version : Time Urgent Request, 6.5 Outer Bearing cap torque

L D
07-11-2005, 17:57
Howdy all. If anyone out there is reading these posts tonight, and you know the answer, please let me know asap, if you be so kind. Out working on my truck, trying to stitch it all back together tonight. Stuck on the correct torque value for the outer bolt on the main bearing caps. These are the way smaller ones than the inner bolts. They appear to have about 30ftlbs before I take them off. The Torque Values for the 6.2 - 6.5 blocks on the Diesel Page show 93 to 107 ftlbs. No way, I say. I went up to 80 on one, and changed my mind. I hope I didn't damage anything by bolt stretch or such!

The 6.2 must have a large outer as well as an inner. At this point, I think the info has to be changed. I saw one post that questioned it a bit, but the post ended at that.

Anybody that can help me out here, would be much appreciated. If I don't get any response tonight, well, tommorow it's the dealer info, and I'll come back and post it here myself.

Thanks tongue.gif

arveetek
07-12-2005, 12:35
You are correct that the 6.2L and early 6.5L engines use the same size inner and outer main bearing cap bolt (I should say same diameter, different lengths.) They are both 12mm diameter bolts. The later model 6.5L engines use a 12mm inner bolt and 10mm outer bolt. Alas, I don't know the torque specs for the 10mm bolts.

I'm sure someone else on this board has the correct torque value that they could share.

Casey

L D
07-12-2005, 15:56
Thanks Casey. It's all about the details, isn't it. Last night has come and gone of course, so tonight it's going together, rush like.

For anybody who might be interested, perhaps by doing a search sometime down the road looking for the same answer...here it is.

The first dealer I talked to today, let me look at the manual for a 1994 6.5. Same thing, it listed extreme torque for the outer bolt. I talked to the counter guy about it all. He went and talked to their diesel mechanic. Same thing, " yup, torque it to a 100ft lbs. It may look smaller, but that's they way they are made." Being the doubting Thomas that I am, I walked over to the other chev dealer in town. Waited half an hour to talk to their shop foreman. He looked it up, and confirmed my suspicions. Which proves Caseys input correct. There is a 12mm outer and a 10mm outer, depending on the year. I have the 10mm, and the proper torque for those is 30 ft lbs. Very, very different! (I really hope I didn't mess up anything by going to 80ft lbs.)

So for the record, not all 6.5 blocks are the same, so the specs might be different. If you are an expert, and know about this already, great. But for many, it's easy to just listen to the so called experts, or look at general spec sheets. Good luck.

MTTwister
07-13-2005, 16:29
Well Geez LD - that's a helluva range for ya, isn't it? 30 outer's seems kinda low - that's water pump and intake manifold bolt torques - but WTHDIK. I don't see a 10mm going to 80 -100 ft #'s tho".