PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak at rear of engine

JMPDMax
09-04-2003, 21:29
I'm a little miffed about this, but I have oil staining (wetting) the area around the bottom drain hole on the tranny/engine mating (bellhousing?). Also, the back of the oil pan also has an oil wetting as well.

I have not noticed any drips on the driveway yet, but I have noticed a few oil drips on the rear axle / differential as well as on a few components before the rear axle. Looks like the oil drip is being blown back there.

From crawling around under the truck, I think the rear main and/or the oil pan gasket is leaking.

The oil loss is very small. In fact, I cannot detect the loss on the dipstick.

Could there possibly be other sources for the oil leak that I could look for before taking her to the dealer?

Later

dmaxalliTech
09-04-2003, 21:34
there is a tsb for oil leak from rear main but on ly in cold weather, I suppose the best thing would be to clean it off, add some tracer dye, and run it a few days. unless you dont want to mess with it. thats likely where dealer will start

NWDmax
09-04-2003, 22:52
Had the same prob the dealer replaced the turbo oil return line but the leak is still there but a little better.
No oil drips just a weep and never shows on the stick either.
I'd let it go awhile and see if it gets worse.
My rear pinion seal did the same thing but its now "magically" better.
Keep an eye on it imho till it becomes more obvious.
Just my 2 cents.
Blake

JMPDMax
09-05-2003, 09:25
Ywah, I had the dealer give it a quick look and he's of the same opinion, let it alone until you get drips in the driveway and noticable oil loss. He said 'you have 5 yrs/100,000 miles to get it fixed.'

I guess I'll just keep an eye on it....

Later....

jamman65
09-16-2003, 17:19
changed the motor oil today and have some oil seaping from engine. same place, just a little wet. guess a ill keep an eye on it. 2400 mi on truck. :(