PDA

View Full Version : 03 D/A start issues

tswartos
11-01-2004, 12:59
03 GMC DA - stock, 45k mi

0800hrs, 29deg F - Truck has been sitting since Fri night and went to goto work turned over fine just never fired up. I've done a quick scan of the forum but cant find anything yet. Was 29 degrees this morning and the engine cranked over fine and had winter mix with diesel kleen anti gel in it. No indicators that anything was gonna happen in the last week or so. When I cranked, sounded like not even firing. Anybody have a checklist of where to start? I'm assuming or hoping that its a blown fuse but any pointers would be helpful. I tried three times before it sounded like I was drainiing the battery too much. So i stopped.

0900hrs, 45 degs in the sunshine - I plugged in block heater and trickle charger notice that drivers side battery is only one taking a charge and its hefty.

1000hrs, 52 deg - rolled out the 95 6.5, sitting in garage since June while attempting to put on exhuast, step son got carried away cutting and I got lazy, reassembled downpipe so i could at least drive it, fired right up...about to leave but since trucks are now sitting side by side I figured what the heck maybe the weak battery cant power the plugs or the heater warmed up whatever so I slapped on the jumpers to the '03.

'03 fired up like nothing happened. smile.gif Let it run for half an hour then drive the heck out of it for a ten minutes in case it was water/fuel related issues.

1400 - drove to work, amp guage still registgering two clicks above 14...but that has been doing it for a month now. I'm guessin one of these Delco's from the factory is bad.

Any guesses? I dont have the equipment to run much testing but wanted some ideas or pointers of other members.

Inspector
11-01-2004, 14:37
TS:
Replace both batterys and you will fix your problem.
Denny :D

tswartos
03-22-2005, 17:47
Nov '04 - Well, its not the batteries as the dealer said the same thing when I brought it in the next day...which was BS. I swapped to brand new Interstates from my 95 6.5 and all that accomplished was that I could crank for ten minutes straight instead of five. So I took back to dealer and had them check the plugs and injectors...all looked good. Even changed the fuel filter and they tested the fuel lines before and after were within normal parameters...i forget what the numbers are now but I checked then and was fine.

March '05 - This morning she died...all spin no spark. I can crank forever and fuel smell fills garage. Its got to be an ECM or something...any ideas? I didnt trust the dealer I had originally took it to. I do have access to another GMC dealership for warranty work but is quite a trek. The last few weeks the truck would stutter start even when warm where before only when cold for a day or so. btw- my 95 crapped out on me today as well..thinking its the PMD/FSD

[ 03-22-2005, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: tswartos ]

mdrag
03-23-2005, 06:35
I'd suggest checking the injector return rates. Faulty injector(s) can cause hard starting problems. Also, I remember one forum member reporting a bad crankshaft sensor as the cause of his no-start problems.

More Power
03-23-2005, 12:01
What mdrag said.... Plus, I'd like to know whether jumping it again allowed the engine to start. If so, check grounds, grounding straps, etc. If not it, might be a voltage sensitivity issue, where a component (i.e. ECM or ?) works fine with a little more voltage.

MP

tswartos
03-23-2005, 13:59
It crossed my mind as it fueled up within a few days of each other at my normal truck stop a flying j near my house. But the 95 kills like the electricity is jerked from it and the DMAX is in the shop...after I posted last night I thought I'd take a chance with OnStar and had them diagnose - nothing. Sent me over to ZGM Roadside...forgot I have free towing with my first year free coverage. So I had towed across town to another dealership. They've been in it since this morning and they're are following the warranty proccess to the T (according to them). They say its a fuel delivery problem as its getting fuel but not enough leaning towards a lift pump.

tswartos
03-24-2005, 07:51
03 - they say they're switching out all the injectors so it'll take until next Tuesday for the injectors to show up.

95 - they said they can do it but it'll take just as long and they'll have to replace the entire injector pump. So I'll keep driving it until the 03 is done.