PDA

View Full Version : New Member w/ 03' Duramax-Allison on order

Bobcat698
08-14-2002, 14:07
Hi Guys.

I ordered out a 2003 Chevrolet Duramax/Allsion Crew Cab LT on 7-19. List price will put it right around $46,000, & it would only cost us $400 more for a dually, but we don't want Duals.
I do not have a build date yet, but I am hoping to get it before October 14th, as I am leaving for Colorado on a Elk hunt.

We have a 38' Triggs Fiberglass fifth wheel horse trailer. The trailer empty weighs about 8,000lbs empty with our cabinets in it. It grosses out at around 16,000lbs.
Our last hunt we figured it weighed in around 14,000lbs.
Our current truck, a 2000 2500 Chevy with a 6.0L & 5 speed w/3.73 gears just doesn't cut it in the mountains, you are forced to run 3rd gear & go less than 50MPH, sometimes we even had to run SECOND GEAR!

Do any of you think it is possible to hold overdrive with this type of load on flat ground going 75MPH??
Most of our driving in Nebraska is basically flat, & we ran 4th most of the way, but the engine is running pretty loud at 3,000RPM at 75MPH.
We could run Overdrive, but it just didn't have enough power to hold speed on hills, & even in forth I was flooring it at the base of the hill to avoid losing over 10MPH.

What do you guys think?

I shouldn't lose 10MPH on hills in Fourth with the Allison & I should be able to maintain at least 55MPH in the mountains, correct?

Mileage should be years ahead of the 6.0L gasser when empty, correct?
We only pull 14MPG empty at most with the 6.0L on the highway, & 8-9 pulling the aboved mentioned 5'er.

The quarter mile times I have seen in magazines lead me to believe this is a QUICK truck, out-accelerating a F-150 supercrew with the 5.4L in 0-60 times!
AM I correct?

Thanks for you input!

Bobcat698

DmaxMaverick
08-14-2002, 16:56
Hey Bobcat698

Welcome to The DP.

Overdrive on flat ground...No problem at any speed. In the hills, it depends on the hills. I pull 12K regularly and 7% grades are easy at 60 +. I have pulled a grade that got me into 2nd, but anything less wouldn't have made it at all. The milage is dependent on how fast you get from point A to point B, but much better than the 6.0L by far.

Yup! The truck is quick. You'll get used to it, though. Maybe.

Wow! 46 grand! :eek:

Good luck.

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-14-2002, 20:31
Bobcat698,

If you are worried about the power just add some propane or a "LITTLE JUICE". The trucks run great stock and with a small investment they can run awesome.

Everyone will agree that gauges and better intake exhaust are the first 3 mods for towing. After that it's up to you. I still have not modified my exhaust, kicking around options. I'll make my decision soon.

Good Luck and post some pics when you get it.

Welcome to THE DP.

GMC ;)

Bobcat698
08-18-2002, 17:14
Thanks for the Welcome & the assurance that I should be able to hold overdrive on flat ground.

How long do I HAVE to wait before towing with my Duramax?

I want to know the MINIMUM amount of miles before I can tow, because I will most likely be leaving for Colorado 2 weeks or less after I get my truck.

Thanks

Garrett