PDA

View Full Version : Duramax problem?

jthorpe
08-14-2002, 17:19
Hey guys. I'm a Dodge guy, but a friend of mine who owns a D/A says he's been having some problems with it. Nothing major I don't think, but some problems nonetheless. Here we go:

A. He's having problems with his A/C going out when the outside temps are around 90 or higher. Seems that it works fine under that, but craps out right around there. He checked the fan clutch, compressor, rf and checked for leaks. Couldn't find anything unusual. Radiator was clean and the fins are in good condition.

B. Tranny seems to be getting too hot. I asked him how hot, and he said it sometimes gets to 220-230 degrees on hot days, especially when driving around town. I'm not used to seeing more than 180 so that sounds hot to me. He lives in Denver, and pulls his camper maybe once a month. ATF is good and appears to not be burnt. He said it smelled fine too and was nice and thick pink. I guess if that's the case, he shouldn't worry about it but like I said, I don't know much about the GM's.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Have you guys seen the same things or is there an issue with these problems? Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, he loves the truck and says it runs great, just some minor issues.

Jack

mackin
08-14-2002, 17:43
jthorpe ,

First things first tell him to get a puter and come on in...... ;)

A) Their seems to be an issue of freezing up in the condenser ....=>http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000362

B) Yup,and so we been notified as it is with in range of operation,never the less , we are finding a solutions to cool it on our own... ;) Tell him to use the T/H mode as much as possible....
=>http://forum.62-65-dieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=003667
You'll have to invite him over and tell him to bring BEER to discuss this one.... ;)

Good luck ,they are a sweet truck ........

MAC :D

[ 08-14-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
08-14-2002, 17:44
Hi Jack,

I'm by no means an expert, but here goes. He lives in Denver, so the air is a little thin, which would affect cooling ability and turbo efficiency. This may be exacerbating his actual problem.

Does he ever hear the clutch mounted fan kick on? It's pretty loud and should kick on before the tranny temp gauge goes past 200*. The engine temp will still probably read around 200-210*, the tranny temp seems to vary more than the engine temp does. If he isn't hearing it kick on and stay on until temps are back down, that might be the problem.

I'm not sure if GMs do this, but some other vehicles I've had, when the underhood temp is too high (A/C pressure too high?) the A/C shuts off to reduce the load, but it's not very comforting when it's hot out!

Regards, Steve

jthorpe
08-14-2002, 17:57
Thanks for the posts and info guys. According to him, the fan is working when the temps are hot. I was sure to ask him about that twice, just to make sure since I had that problem with my old PSD a few years back. I'm going to read these other threads to see what I can find out. Again, thanks for the info! I'll tell him to come over and say hello ;)

DmaxMaverick
08-14-2002, 17:58
jthorpe

A. Sounds like the dealer needs to look at the A/C. Doesn't sound right.

B. Probably normal. The tranny temps, with original Dexron III can get up there while driving in city traffic. Have him try using Tow/Haul while in town for comparison (may also help the A/C). The higher altitude in Denver will also slow the cooling effect, due to the thin air (hot tranny, poor A/C). If it's still hot, get it checked. I never see the tranny temp above 200

bhinrichs
08-14-2002, 19:40
Better have the dealer look? I live in the Denver area. Regularly drive back and forth to Nebraska. Made the trip several times with the temp saying &gt; 100 degrees up and down I-76. I've never had any problems with the A/C.

I just occasionaly have the clock reset by itself.

Bert

jthorpe
08-14-2002, 19:44
Hey while we're at it. What do you guys think of Lubegard? I have been using it and I have noticed a drop in temps on my Dodge 47RE. A lot of guys I talk to swear by it, including builders, but I want to know what you guys think too. Thanks for the tips guys. I printed all this out to give to my buddy. We're going to meet up with him in Missouri next week. Can't wait, then it's off to Colorado. Haven't been there since I moved away three years ago. smile.gif

DogDays
08-14-2002, 21:43
Problem A sounds like dealer needs to look at A/C unit. Could be any of a number of things.

Problem B and I have to agree with everyone about the altitude and using Tow/Haul mode. I have seen temps on tranny go up to 200-220 when I have been driving in traffic in Phoenix, but the outside temp is always between 110-120 when this happens.
Tow/Haul helps hold it down somewhat.

Good luck with problem and have your friend get a puter. :cool:

sspm1
08-15-2002, 05:03
Problem A with the temps above 90 I noticed when I am using the a/c the air is not cool so I use the recirc and it seems to do the trick?? just my thoughts.

NFLDMAX
08-15-2002, 05:29
Living here in Florida, I have to use the recirculate button to get "cold" air. Seems to do the trick.

ALLIMAX
08-15-2002, 08:46
There is an air filter that may become clogged for the air conditioner. Have it replaced first and then see how the AC works.

sonofagun
08-15-2002, 12:54
Jack,

If the A/C isn't working it needs to go to the dealer, assuming they can get it to do the same thing while they have it.

I pulled 10000# through Denver last week, in rush hour and never saw the trans temp go over 200. It didn't go over that more than twice (8% grades) and then only to about 205. I am using an 80% mix of transyd and that might make some difference. If my truck was showing those types of temps when driven empty I would also take it to the dealer. I wouldn't accept the "that's normal speech either. Be nice but be persistant. Does ANYONE own this truck with it running this hot (trans) when empty?

Good luck,
Bob

Jeffrey Shaffer
09-02-2002, 23:16
Hello Im Interested in knowing what it cost to change out the stock Trans fluid and how was it done? Also do you think it makes a differance in the operation and durability?

hdmax(mike)
09-03-2002, 16:15
In the owners manual (02) it states the normal operating temp for the Allison is 160-200*. So I would think much over that is not good.

In 2700 miles that I`ve drivin my new truck, The tranny temp hit 190-200* on one occasion.
Almost always in the 150-170* range. And in the mornings (temps in the 50-60`s) it take the tranny 40 miles+ to hit the 150* range.

Bart Timothy
09-04-2002, 00:07
The A/C can quit working, and kick out, for a number of reasons. The high side (condenser) may be running too high pressure, or the low side (evaporator) runnig too low pressure, are just 2 of them. The condenser could be plugged and dirty, causing it not to dissapate heat properly, and in turn causing the compressor to kick out because of too high head pressure. There can be moisture in the system causing the expansion valve to freeze shut causing the compressor to kick out because of too low pressure. The system can be low on gas. The compressor clutch control circuit can have a problem. There are too many reasons to list here. Any decent refridgeration person with a set of guages can find the problem real fast.