PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again

Inspector
02-10-2004, 13:42
This is for John or Greg or anyone with some knowledge about a filter system that I stumbled accross while surfing.
The system is a Dahl/Baldwin series 100/150 diesel fuel/water seperator.
It is set up as a pre oem and can be used above or below the tank. It has some pretty impressive claims. One draw back my be its size. It claims that the filter element can be 2,10 or 30 micron. It also claims that in the 2 mic setup that it will run for 500 hrs or 20,000 miles.
I would like some oppinions about this system if any are available. The info can be found on the Baldwin site.
Thanks
Denny

jbplock
02-10-2004, 17:12
Inspector,

Check out this thread:

Dahl 100 Fuel Filter (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=006585)

smile.gif

Kennedy
02-10-2004, 18:12
I chose the best element that Baldwin had to offer for my kit.

Word is, the Dahl kits were difficult to seal as in lots of leaks. I should add that I have ZERO first hand experience with this kit.

Inspector
02-10-2004, 18:19
JB:
Thank you for coming back with your comment. I read your thread. In my opinion(FWIW)with a 2 mic nominal in a pre filter arrangement, wouldn't it be a good choice? I realize that it wouldn't be a good stand alone only being nominal. With it used pre with the oem in my opinion it would be more effective than a 10 absolute in a pre configuration therefore giving us what we need and not to expensively.
What do you think?
Denny

Inspector
02-10-2004, 18:28
Thanks John. I value your opinion and would like to know more about the sealing problems. The 100 series looks like it has an aircraft type of ring clamp to hold the base to the head. In my experiance these clamps are very reliable. We use them in very high volume puematic systems and other applications. They hold very well and are used repeatedly. The 150 series has a "T" bolt to squeeze it all together.
The 100 is about 12 1/2 inches long and the 150 is about 14 1/4 long. That would be a draw back in a frame mounted app. The 12 1/2 inch would be more suitible to the frame.
Denny

jbplock
02-11-2004, 06:00
Denny,

Aside from the question about potential leaks, the DAHL is a very well built unit and it seems like it would make a good pre-filter. The 2 micron nominal element is probably roughly equivalent to a 10 micron "absolute" and one benefit could be its water separator design. I also think the heater would be needed if running the 2-micron element in the winter. After John first mentioned the concern about vacuum leaks in the early fuel filter thread I did find some posts on the Ford Forum that confirmed the problem. I seem to remember reading something about a new O-ring fix so maybe this isn't a problem any more. You might try calling Baldwin Tech support (??) Another thing I noticed with the Dahl 100 I had was that the clamp is a little awkward to use when mating the filter bowl with the head. Might be a little troublesome changing the filter - especially when lying on you back. RACOR also sells a "Turbine" series of filters that look almost the same as the DAHL. Keep us posted on what find out

Inspector
02-11-2004, 07:50
Thanks JB