PDA

View Full Version : The intercooler

Chuck1
07-12-2005, 05:42
I have been wondering if any one out there has designed there own intercooler install.I see that we have intake hoses.com and intercoolers are cheap on ebay Any one have parts list or pictures

DChristie
07-12-2005, 11:10
Greetings,

I've been tinkering with one, not really my design, rather it is a volvo unit I picked up on ebay fairly cheap. I plan to route the air around and in front of the radiator and then shorten and re-mount the intake plenum 180 from its factory position.
The unit I picked up is about 17" deep 22" wide and 2" thick. I'll have to gage the before and after to determine cooling capacity. I'm not enough of an engineer to cypher it out all by my onesies. :rolleyes:
It will give some cooling I'm sure, How much I don't know, and for what loads I don't know.
I'm operating under the "its gotta be better than the stock nada zip zero zilch" :D

DChristie

TurboDiverArt
07-16-2005, 17:01
I've wondered about this. I know there are a number of guys that have made their own intercooler. What surprises me is that there are no really detailed write-ups. Would be great if someone doing this were to list parts that are needed, sources, average prices and install instructions with pictures. Yeah, I know it's a lot to ask but what do I have to lose by asking? ;)

Art.

BUZZ
07-17-2005, 04:37
Art and others I copied Kents install, with a few minor changes in routing. This link should answer most of your questions.
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008641

eracers999
07-17-2005, 11:05
BUZZ:

How has yours worked for you? Had to add 1 additional support to the pipe comming from the turbo to stop it from coming off, now, this thing comes on like gangbusters down the road, very happy.

Kent

TurboDiverArt
07-18-2005, 02:13
Thanks, that's great information.

I assume no tire clearance problems with turning as long as you use the stock size tires?

Is there a way to route the hoses so that you don't have to turn the upper intake backwards and cover the fuel filter? How are other intercoolers installed and routed?

Great write up Kent and pics. The mounting of the intercooler looks pretty straight forward and nicely fit!

Art.

eracers999
07-18-2005, 05:26
Thanks Art, looks great in real time. I have oversize tires and clearance is not a issue. Uncovering the pump so that it is not incarcerated in heat was one of the benifets of turning the intake around. If you look at it in stock form the poor pump is getting baked.

Kent

rjschoolcraft
07-18-2005, 09:31
Originally posted by TurboDiverArt:
Is there a way to route the hoses so that you don't have to turn the upper intake backwards and cover the fuel filter? How are other intercoolers installed and routed?
Here are a couple of shots of the Kennedy intercooler install.

http://www.schoolcraftpowertrain.com/Intercooler/IM001200.JPG

http://www.schoolcraftpowertrain.com/Intercooler/IM001202.JPG

http://www.schoolcraftpowertrain.com/Intercooler/IM001203.JPG

http://www.schoolcraftpowertrain.com/Intercooler/IM001212.JPG

http://www.schoolcraftpowertrain.com/Intercooler/IM001213.JPG

BUZZ
07-18-2005, 13:41
Kent I am very happy with the IC. I have ordered a 2.5" to 3" 45 degree silicone elbow for the turbo outlet. Everything else works very good, I am happy with the sub $500 cost.
Buzz

DA BIG ONE
07-19-2005, 01:31
Originally posted by DChristie:
Greetings,

I've been tinkering with one, not really my design, rather it is a volvo unit I picked up on ebay fairly cheap. I plan to route the air around and in front of the radiator and then shorten and re-mount the intake plenum 180 from its factory position.
The unit I picked up is about 17" deep 22" wide and 2" thick. I'll have to gage the before and after to determine cooling capacity. I'm not enough of an engineer to cypher it out all by my onesies. :rolleyes:
It will give some cooling I'm sure, How much I don't know, and for what loads I don't know.
I'm operating under the "its gotta be better than the stock nada zip zero zilch" :D

DChristie The Volvo unit is a good choice, "I assume it is aluminum with composit end tanks", make sure you clean it out before use as Volvo usually runs its crankcase vent between the compressor and IC. Lots of people use the Volvo IC in many other car/truck projects.

I raced 2.3 turbo Volvos for awhile, still own a 300+ hp B230 (stock was 188 hp)in a Bertone 780 using stock Volvo IC.

odee
07-19-2005, 06:52
Is there anyway to modify these composite tanks on this type intercooler?

DChristie
07-19-2005, 09:16
Big One,

Thanks!! I've been dragging my feet getting this done... other stuff always seems to take priority :( .

This post has given me some great ideas and confirmed temp data that I had only suspected before.

Yes I have the aluminum/composite IC. Glad to read it will do the job. :D

I have been reluctant to mount the IC under the front bumper for fear of road debris pokin' holes in it. But then after reading all this I realized I rarely see the dirt side of a curb anyway, so that's where it's gonna go. smile.gif Soon!!

Are there worthwhile gains to be made/kept by insulating the cool side piping up to the intake?

I have already remounted my fuel filter to the firewall near the drivers side hood-hinge to cool fuel and for easier changing access.

This BB is absolutely the best you are all awesome!!! :cool:

DChristie

KallyI
07-19-2005, 09:31
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings,

The unit I picked up is about 17" deep 22" wide and 2" thick. I'll have to gage the before and after to determine cooling capacity. I'm not enough of an engineer to cypher it out all by my onesies.
I'm operating under the "its gotta be better than the stock nada zip zero zilch"

DChristie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Volvo unit is a good choice, "I assume it is aluminum with composit end tanks", make sure you clean it out before use as Volvo usually runs its crankcase vent between the compressor and IC. Lots of people use the Volvo IC in many other car/truck projects.

I raced 2.3 turbo Volvos for awhile, still own a 300+ hp B230 (stock was 188 hp)in a Bertone 780 using stock Volvo IC.
Gotta watch those Volvo intercoolers. I bought one off ebay, then found that it was only rated to about 300cfm. So I bought an aluminum one from ebay and did an install very much like Kent's.

DA BIG ONE
07-19-2005, 10:13
Originally posted by KallyI:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> quote:
Greetings,

The unit I picked up is about 17" deep 22" wide and 2" thick. I'll have to gage the before and after to determine cooling capacity. I'm not enough of an engineer to cypher it out all by my onesies.
I'm operating under the "its gotta be better than the stock nada zip zero zilch"

DChristie

The Volvo unit is a good choice, "I assume it is aluminum with composit end tanks", make sure you clean it out before use as Volvo usually runs its crankcase vent between the compressor and IC. Lots of people use the Volvo IC in many other car/truck projects.

Gotta watch those Volvo intercoolers. I bought one off ebay, then found that it was only rated to about 300cfm. So I bought an aluminum one from ebay and did an install very much like Kent's. </font>[/QUOTE]Strange, Volvo IC w/300cfm rating when most turbos they use flow more than 300cfm @ 15psi? Throw in high VE, a 700cfm turbo, race tuner, bigger injectors, copper head gasket and the composit tanks hold up to about 25 psi, but what do I know about this.

Anyway, an all aluminum one is always better provided it is built right.

Chuck1
07-20-2005, 14:44
Kent thats exactly what I was looking for .Clean and simple yet cheeeeeeep.

KallyI
07-20-2005, 18:58
DA BIG ONE, this intercooler was from a stock 740 Volvo. I found a website that compared the cfm flow capabilities of a number of different stock intercoolers, including that one, and it was not rated much more than 300 cfm. I realize that some Volvos have bigger ones, but the ones offered on ebay, all seem to be like that one. I bought both the Volvo intercooler, and the one I am using now from ebay. I just thought a cautionary note might be appreciated. The one I am using is almost identical to Kent's. The Volvo one is for sale.

DA BIG ONE
07-21-2005, 01:51
Originally posted by KallyI:
DA BIG ONE, this intercooler was from a stock 740 Volvo. I found a website that compared the cfm flow capabilities of a number of different stock intercoolers, including that one, and it was not rated much more than 300 cfm. I realize that some Volvos have bigger ones, but the ones offered on ebay, all seem to be like that one. I bought both the Volvo intercooler, and the one I am using now from ebay. I just thought a cautionary note might be appreciated. The one I am using is almost identical to Kent's. The Volvo one is for sale. All input is important, and I hope you understand that I am not trying to slam what you present herein.

The IC you mention could be of a few different sizes. Generally, late 80's and forward they are better flowing, 3" in/out w/very little pressure drop. That being said, they usually have lots of oil in them along with dirt that cloggs them to the point of chocking flow.

2 types of Volvo owners, one type never maintains it properly, the other goes the extra mile in PM. When I look at used parts I try to determine which of the 2 aforementioned may have owned the part, from there I decide if it is what I want.

Keep in mind, buying off the web, most sellers will cleanup the item, so it looks good, but an IC especially a Volvo IC could be clogged with oil and dirt restricting flow (crankcase vent on 700 series is before IC dirt enters there).

A good 700 series Volvo IC will always outperform say the 2.3 mustang IC, so the Volvo IC is common on many 2.3, and even 5.0 turbo applications because of its top mounted inlet/outlet and large frontal area (easy fab).

odee
07-21-2005, 03:33
Is there a certian size for the intercooler? I have gotten my truck 80 crewcab dually running with the 6.5 now and wanting to put a ic on it. Have seen a few on ebay that look like they should work pretty easy for where I want to put it.

DChristie
07-21-2005, 03:34
Hot button issue here?

Don't sweat it...

First, I chose the volvo IC b/c of the inlet/outlet diameters. I wasn't ever concerned with the plastic ends, modern polymers are customizable to meet the needs of the application.

2nd, I knew that an IC from a 2.3L getting stuffed into a 6.5L would be underrated by about 60% just on displacement. I hoped, since I don't know, that the smaller engine would run at higher rpm and pressure, which would shrink the gap.

3rd I lept off the ledge figgerin' that any IC would be better than none at all. :rolleyes:

4th since I've spent less than $50.00 on my IC as an experiment I'm not out much. besides I like tinkering... smile.gif

The cleanliness of the IC's hasn't been much of a concern, I was more concerned with leaks. I kin clean em' up if they need it.

You can almost see the chewin' tabacco runnin' out both sides of me mouth cain't ya? Dirty bib overalls an mismatched boots too... tongue.gif :D

Anyway that's the logic that keeps me in stitches, and pays my doctors kids college tuition. tongue.gif

DChristie

Chuck1
07-21-2005, 22:02
Kent After you installed the IC did you have to increase the boost.Or would it work fine with stock.Also does it really seem to make it that much better for towing.

rjschoolcraft
07-22-2005, 03:59
Towing is entirely different with the intercooler installed. It's like a completely new truck...

BUZZ
07-22-2005, 05:47
What RJ said, towing with IC is like driving a
Peterbuilt.

99gmccrew
07-23-2005, 07:45
I just got back from a trip to Lake Havasu. Record high temps out in the desert right now. I'm talking 130F, its like being in a blast furnace. I was a little concerned about towing in the heat. I have had my intercooler installed for close to a year now. I think I may have been the first to use the ebay model that people are starting to use now. At first I had a few bugs to work out, like fittings blowing off at high pressure. I solved that with better clamps and putting nerls in the pipe to give the fittings something to bight on. Since doing that, no blow offs. Anyway, even in the record heat and towing a boat up some steep grades the truck performed flawlessly, never once overheating, egt's never even got over 950F. Intercooler is the way to go.
Easy to install in my opinion. If I can do it anybody can. I'm no mechanic. It just takes a little patience and common sense. :cool: