PDA

View Full Version : vibration problem

George Gozelski
09-06-2003, 11:14
Been real busy this summer up here in Alaska, so I haven't been posting much, will do a lot more once the monsoons begin!

Anyway, I've been putting off taking my truck into the shop for a vibration problem until last week. The prognoses was a little disturbing at only 20,000 miles on my 02' CC 3500 4x4. Seems both front rotors were shot, the rear drums needed turning and the pitman arm was shot!

Now I don't abuse my truck and was really quite shocked at the work that had to be done. Since the dealer wasn't going to cover the brake work they suggested I call GM customer service. Well, I did and the general took care of the brake work which was a mild surprise!

With everything done on the truck it is definitely much smoother but there is still a small vibration coming from some where. I don't think it is the tires because they were just rotated and appear to be in great shape. Could it be an issue with the driveline? Anyone out there experience anything similar?

I know there were replacement issues with 2500 standard cabs but nothing available for the crew cabs. The person I talked with at GM also said there was no driveline replacement for the 2500/ 3500 crew cabs! Any of you know anything different?

torkinator
09-07-2003, 14:16
George,

Do you by chance have a teenage boy in the household who drives the truck occasionally? If so, perhaps you could ask him what's causing the vibration.

wushaw
09-07-2003, 15:10
I would question turning of the rear drums since they are rotors.
Have you checked the tires for any kind of seperation?
Does it vibrate under power?
Does it vibrate coasting?
Is there any difference in the vibration with different speeds?
Have you tried putting it in neutral at a given speed to see any changes?
And one last one. Does it vibrate sitting still?
Just trying to cover all the bases.

George Gozelski
09-07-2003, 17:14
No, my kids are too young to drive! The rear brakes are rotors and not drums? Well whatever, they were turned.

It vibrates a little on takeoff and as you get up to highway speed. It came from the factory with Wrangler radials which I've not had that good of luck with on two brand new trucks from the past.

It doesn't vibrate while coasting which causes me to believe it's either the tires or the driveshaft. Thanks for the input, I've got more exploring to do now!

wushaw
09-07-2003, 17:32
It's in the drive line somewhere. Tires would give you vibration even while coasting.
Have you run up on anything that might have done any kind of damage to drive shafts?
Have you inspected drive shafts, U-joints, CV joints, driveshaft weights for presence.

dmaxalliTech
09-07-2003, 20:01
you have a c/c? long or short? 4wd i assume. Two piece shaft or one piece?

Greg McCall
09-23-2003, 08:31
George,
I had a slight vibration for several weeks that I could not correct.
Then my front left tire had a blowout. Firestone Steeltex Radial A/T. only had 26,000 miles.
I replaced all tires with 265/75 BF Goodrich T/A KOs. All is well again.
You might check the tires again.