PDA

View Full Version : Best Boxes for ZF 6 Speed -- TST? Quad? Juice?

Michigana_Joe
09-06-2003, 11:59
Can anyone give me advice on the best box for a ZF 6-speed?

I know that the TST box is supposed to work well on the manuals, but I am wondering if there are any other boxes that I should consider.

Has anyone run a Quadzilla with the ZF?

Will Edge ever come out with a box for the ZF?

Which box works best with drugs (propane)?

sdaver
09-06-2003, 20:46
I have a allison........but I have the juice,predator,tst comp,juice comp, and the 215 hp stealth.........the attitude from edge should be out soon and would work well......the stealth is very strong with my modified allison. tst is not bad either.......propane with high output boxes or tuners is not as effective as it is alone but it does still excite the turbo.....the torque and power of the juice is hard to beat and it seems to be the most refined for the street. There are some members here with the zf and the juice and some others.......good luck on your choice and welcome to the show :D dave

GMCTRUCK
09-06-2003, 22:23
It's nice to have a box or programmer that you can pick and choose your levels with, especially if you're gonna be towing. You may have to wait awhile for this on the Juice. Edge did alot of testing with the Allison, so while great with the autos the 125hp Juice wasn't anything special with the stick. I haven't tried running the unrated hiroshima version of the Juice yet. TST boxes work very well with the stick, probably because TST developed them using a 6 speed truck. The fact that the Quad box can raise the rev limiter should make it a good unit for the 6 speeds also. Welcome aboard.

cmadmaxman
09-07-2003, 11:28
Check with Quad on their tuners. They have it so you can select Auto or Manual when you down load the tune......quadzillapower.com

Michigana_Joe
09-07-2003, 11:49
Thanks for the responses guys.

sdaver:
Everything I have read about the Juice sounds really good, but I don't have access to an Allison truck to change settings -- that is the only negative (for ZFs) that I have read about it. How much is propane worth when running a comp Juice or comp TST at the maximum settings? Are there special tunes for propane or will the same tunes work either way?

GMCTRUCK:
Raising the rev limiter would be *very* nice, any idea how high the Duramax can rev before durability becomes an issue? A linear increase in wear wouldn't bother me, catastrophic engine failure would...

cmadmaxman:
That's good to know. I did email Quad with some questions about ZF support -- sounds like its well supported if there are actually separate tunes for it.

sdaver
09-07-2003, 13:00
roughly 2 to 2.5 tenths 0-60 or 1/8 mile.....it really excites the turbo in a fifth gear 80 to 100 stomp........Im guessing 35 to 45 rwhp on a big/comp box

a64pilot
09-08-2003, 06:25
I wouldn't take it into the solid red on the tach, what is that something like 4200 or something. Grade breaking will regularly take mine deep into the dashed portion of the tach, even when it was pure stock so I assume then it must be safe to be there for transient operation. I wouldn't keep it in the solid red for extended times IMHO.

Kennedy
09-08-2003, 09:12
Keep in mind that while Tuners/Loaders have multiple levels, they are not adjustable on the fly, and you must reload with the tuner in hand to make changes.

As for modules, of the popular ones, only the VA SB-E and the TST Powermax offer on the fly adjustment. Edge is VERY close to releasing their Attitude which will also allow adjustment while driving.

The Edge and VA are the only ones (that I am aware of) that back down power based on driveline slippage. I don't think that the 6 speed has a sensor for clutch slippage though.

Edge is the only one delaying power addition based on cold coolant temp and backing off due to excessive coolant temp.

TST is the only one using a selectable EGT backdown, although Edge has this capability in their Attitude monitor.

Should be a pretty good summary...