PDA

View Full Version : question for SPCRT13 Mac and everyone else with truck caps

James S
08-14-2002, 22:42
Hey Mac,

Befor you got your Leer 122 cap, what kind of fuel milage were you getting in town and on the highway. Now, with your cap, what is your milage? I am not trying to put the pressure on you, but I am getting a 2003 GMC Sierra, SLT crew cab long box 2500HD and am thinking of getting this cap. Is the visibility good with this size of cap on your truck? Finally, what is the height of the opening from the tail gate, when it is down, to the TOP of the cap when the door is raised up? If you could let me know, ASAP, I would appreciate it, because depending on your answer, I might get this cap. If you, or anyone else, would advise getting a different cap instead, because of pour visibility or any other reason, feel free to give me recommendations. I need one that will allow me to have an opening from the tail gate when down, to the top of the door of the cap when raised, of fourty-eight inches, MINIMUM. However, it also has to still allow me to have good visibility, when moving or parking the truck in tight places. This is to allow my cabinets to fit in the truck, [I am a cabinet maker] and four by eight foot sheets of wood to fit as well, standing up. Thanks for the help and recommendations from everyone. I wait anxiously, for your responses.

James

[ 08-14-2002: Message edited by: James S ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
08-14-2002, 22:47
^...You can see a cap on my CC. Click on the link in my sig line. I've had toppers since 1980. Wouldn't do without one. Frameless windows are a must for me. Leer is a good product but there are probably equals (or better) as well. Do a search. Several threads with info you are looking for. 48" opening at the top will probably require a raised top.

[ 08-14-2002: Message edited by: NutNbutGMC ]</p>

spctr13
08-15-2002, 06:45
James S

Go to: [picturetrail.com/spctr13] to get an idea of what we are talking about .

Visibility : no problem

Fuel mileage diferance : unable to determine , put cap on the day after I got the truck . Last trip from Wisconsin - Mass . @ 70+ mph averaged 18.47 mpg .

Height of opening bed to door hinge : 44 3/8 " , inside 50 " , but not the full length because of front slope , slight inward angle of sides .

I looked around quite a bit while waiting for the truck to be built and this was the model with the most room and available in the Northeast . Also I needed the windows custom cut at the manufacturer . ( fuel filler for 98 gallon crossbed tank ) I now have 52,000+ miles , Alaska and back etc.etc. , with no problems .

Any other questions, fire away !! But I will be leaving for a month on Saturday .

Mac

4meseb
08-15-2002, 16:43
James S,

I also have the 122 and my openinig is the same as Mac stated 44 3/8". Visibility is really not a concern with the high top and larger windows. I really can't remember losing any mpg's. Seems to have stayed about the same. This is my 3rd Leer and I love it. I also had a Jeraco, they seem to be a little heavier. Good Luck to whatever you choose they all have Pro's & Con's. Just pick the one that best suits your needs.
Scott smile.gif