PDA

View Full Version : Dmax Techs ?

Toddster
09-07-2003, 06:42
Here is my buddies situation....03 Dmax with about 20,000 miles. Started letting a belch of blue smoke after idle for a few minutes and punching the go pedal from a stop...Then started smoking BIG TIME when at an idle a few days later...Brought to dealer, of course stopped smoking the minute it got in the dealers lot, NO codes, good injector balance...Also this thing strugles to do 70 up hill with no Juice...Dealer replaced every front end part in the truck, did a $hit allignment, and said this should stop it from smoking ! Any ideas ?

dmaxalliTech
09-07-2003, 07:52
when is the last time the filter has been changed?

king D
09-07-2003, 08:23
i have seen this before or the struggle without power adders no smoke yet ,you havent upgraded tranny yet have you,i chalked mine up to much tighter tq con....jess

Captain Mal
09-07-2003, 08:29
Toddster,

What you described are EXACTLY the symptoms of some of my earlier injector failures. Strange they found no problem there.

Question.... You said..."Dealer replaced every front end part in the truck, did a $hit allignment, and said this should stop it from smoking ! ...

What relationship is there betweem FRONT END PARTS and a smoking engine?

mackin
09-07-2003, 10:07
I think it's a new approach by GM start at the bumper and work your way back to solve a problem .... http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/hihi.gif

Tell your "friend" it's a sticking injector ....

We, your friend and I ,need to get together ..... I take it he's a local .... ;)

Mac

[ 09-07-2003, 10:31 AM: Message edited by: mackin ]

Toddster
09-07-2003, 10:42
Captain, thats just the dealer deing a sarcastic a$$hole....I know it must be an injector problem but the motor has NO strange noises...Smokes one day stops another day and now belches when you start it...D/Atech, @ 8,000 then @ 20,000 TOTAL waste of time and money both times as the filters were like new inside, surely you can come up with a better diagnosis than that ! ;)

dmaxalliTech
09-07-2003, 10:58
Originally posted by dmaxalliTech:
when is the last time the filter has been changed? Come on now, it was an ice breaker to get the thread movin ;)

Best bet is to duplicate it with scanner hooked up and see whats going on. As others have noted, sure sounds like an injector issue.