PDA

View Full Version : Using Cold Advace Solenoid for advance at WOT.

dunsbr
11-03-2004, 15:14
Hi Guys,
I've been doing a little thinking about the 6.2 in the Humvee and thought I'd bounce an idea off the forum.
The 6.2 in the Humvee has a micro switch mounted on the IP to detect Wide Open Throttle (WOT) to disengage the fan clutch during overtaking etc..
I was wondering if I spliced the wire on the output of this microswitch and used the signal as as a control on a relay, I might then be able to energise the cold advance solenoid on the IP to give me some IP advance at WOT.

Theoretically, this means a bit more grunt when you need it but retains standard timing for cruise and low throttle activities.

Am I thinking right or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Cheers

Brad

[ 11-03-2004, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: dunsbr ]

More Power
11-06-2004, 18:58
More timing advance helps to reduce white smoke during a cold start, and more advance can affect power. However, too much timing advance can negatively affect head gaskets.

The book says the mechanically injected 6.2/6.5 should be timed at 3-1/2 degrees before top dead center at 700-rpm and with the engine at or near operating temperature. This is when using a Stanadyne Time-Trac timing meter.

In a dyno test performed a few years ago, it was determined that up to about 6 degrees advance, there was a slight power increase with increasing timing advance. Above 6, and power began to decrease, along with an onjectionable increase in engine and combustion noise.

I'd be a little concerned about the 6 degrees mentioned above for head gasket longevity. Four to four and a half maybe....

MP

britannic
11-07-2004, 09:01
In addition to MP's comments, your diesel has dynamic load and rpm timing advance built into the pump - my military manual calls for 4* BTDC @ 1400rpm for the NA 6.2L; I found 2.6* BTDC @ 1400rpm to be optimum for my turboed milspec 6.2L. Using the HPCA when the engine is hot, could lead to damage, overheating and at the least, increased black smoke.

dunsbr
11-07-2004, 15:42
Thanks for the feed back guys.

I won't pursue that line of approach then!

It did seem a little to good to be true smile.gif

Cheers

Brad

BTW, How much does the HPCA advance the IP during cold starts?