PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Know about VanAaken Systems?

sd455
02-13-2004, 12:32
Anyone have experience with VanAaken systems. I've got one for about 4k mi. Seems good. I keep it on the +150hp setting. Truck is very responsive. I don't drive it too hard. Do I need to do trans mods?

Runaway
02-13-2004, 17:00
I had a Van Akken product on a "99" Dodge/Cummins w/auto. Unit did what advertised. Went to Edge product with next Dodge/6-speed. Stayed with Edge with Dmax. No experience with VA on Dmax.

kavik
02-13-2004, 17:26
My personal opinion is with the 130 or 150 hp setting, if you do any full throttle acceleration, you need tranny mods. I have the 130 max box with 3 speed switch, and am very happy. No codes, no driveability problems. With the 130 setting with the gas all the way down from the stop for rapid accelleration but no pre-revving or anything wild), I think there is some tranny slip, so probably moreso wih the 150. I thik with the second setting (mine is 90 hp I think) you could probably drive pretty hard and be ok, but the top setting is just a lot "quicker" and feels harder on the tranny. THe second setting seems to give more speed and power, but a "reasonable" amount. Very happy overall.

Kennedy
02-13-2004, 20:43
The VA has a transmission protect feature, but as with any mod, when you start to cross 100-125HP, if you drive it hard or abuse it there IS potential to do it harm. It is more of a gradual degradation than instantaneous damage.

sd455
02-14-2004, 05:15
Thanks for the response. I have a few questions. Being that I dont drive too hard nor do I tow much (and if i do i set the VA switch to 0)should I do the trans mods now or wait until I have a problem? Also, will it affect my warranty? Also, will a pyro and boost guage affect my warranty?

Kennedy
02-14-2004, 06:41
Gauges should not affect your warranty, BUT can be a tip off for dealers to ASSUME that you have mods.

For the trans, as long as you don't abuse it you should be OK. It is definitely better to apply trans enhancements BEFORE things get hurt as it saves replacing clutches, and mistakes due to missed damage.

For an "easy" driver, with the VA, I'd suggest going to a milder tune than the 90/150.

02-16-2004, 06:20
I regularly tow in the 90 HP setting with no problems. EGT's rarely goes above 1000 deg even on the steep hills where in the stock setting they would go past 1200. My trailer weights 12500 empty and trans temp are also lower than in the stock setting.