PDA

View Full Version : hard to start

Norcal Duramax
11-08-2004, 16:51
I just got my 02 Duramax out of the shop after 1 month for the injector and it is running ok. However my Fathers 02 Duramax is having a fuel problem everythime in the last 3 days in order start the truck we have to pop the hood and prime it. the dealership is telling me it will be about $800 to repair the truck has about 50k miles. why is this not under warranty? other then this we love our trucks.

More Power
11-09-2004, 09:27
If this was a defect in the engine, it should be covered under the 5/100 engine warranty. However, I suspect you have an airleak in the fuel supply line(s) or fuel filter assembly.

You could pressurize the fuel tank with 5 or 10 psi of air pressure, then look for a leak - from the tank all the way to the high pressure Bosch fuel injection pump.

Another possibility is a fuel tank cap that is holding too much vacuum. Spring and fall are two times of the year that produce large swings in ambient temperatures. Diesel fuel expands and contracts as temperature varies. The effect on internal tank pressure depends on the amount of fuel in the tank (more pressure change with more fuel) and the magnitude of the temp swing. A fuel tank cap that holds more than a specified 2" of vacuum could pull air into the fuel lines if there is a loose clamp or poor 0-ring seal on the fuel filter.

Try loosening the fuel tank cap for an overnight test.

MP

Norcal Duramax
11-09-2004, 16:01
Thanks I will give it a try.
Ray