PDA

View Full Version : LLY in for service...

02-15-2004, 14:56
Hello everyone, i'm new to the forum but I have problems with a new LLY equipped truck already.
I was on my way to work friday morning when I noticed a huge loss of power in my truck. Under further examination I noticed the turbo wasn't working. So I pulled into a fuel station shut the truck off and restarted it. Upon restarting it the service engine light came on and still no turbo. So, off to the dealership I go, ticked because the truck only has 758 miles on it at this point. I got to the dealer right at 7:30am and they took it right in. About an hour later I got a response from the service manage stating he's never seen the code my truck was giving and that their computer had no listing for it. He told me they were going to have to contact a tech II. So in the mean time I now have a rental car (POS cavalier). Well, about 3:30 in the afternoon I decided to give them a call to find out what was wrong. The same service manage tells me the turbo sensor is broke and that they won't be able to get the part until tuesday, So needless to say i'm NOT a happy Dmax owner. :( :mad: It kinda makes me wish I didn't trade in my bigblock for it.

mark45678
02-15-2004, 17:39
I know its a pita but once you put this truck to the test your big block will look like a gas pig more then you thought it was! I ran to D.C. on a quick round trip with a buddy as a favor to him.... we only got 7.9 mpg with his 8.1 pulling my trailer that I get 13 mpg pulling in the hills of NH! As for the code snafu there are about 10~12 new codes that the lly has that the older motor didnt have! take a look at Morepowers right up in the duramax page! really good info and your new code will be listed there!

afp
02-15-2004, 21:51
Keep us posted. I think the new turbo still needs to "prove itself". Has there been any of this kind of issue on the 6.0 PDS?

drgracr
02-16-2004, 14:02
I haven't made up my mind on the variable turbo yet, too new. The shop I work at has sold alot of 6.0's, to date only replaced 2 turbos for noise due to fuel dillution from leaking injectors. Haven't had any where the turbine wheel is laying in the downpipe,yet :eek:

Lone Eagle
02-16-2004, 14:14
I would speculate that this turbo is only new to GM but not to the industry. Dodge tested their's on 50K units in Europe before using it in the US. Later! Frank

Kennedy
02-16-2004, 15:25
Just a sensor is no biggie, better than a failed turbo.

We may see some gremlins with the first production, as the new level of sophistication requires a lot more communication. Basically it sounds like if a sensor gets lost, the kneejerk reaction is to "punt" until a dealer can look at it.

02-18-2004, 03:05
Ok guys, got my truck back last night and all is good now. :D

They replaced the turbo vane control position solenoid, and the turbo vane position sensor.

Total cost was $289.56 under warranty.

koolgt
02-18-2004, 13:02
lol we put that on, our line. my bad..when we first started production we didnt realize the vain sensor and baro sensor had to be routed a certian way...problems all fixed now after we had the first couple days..no bigie:)

02-19-2004, 03:14
Man, how many engines made it out of the plant like that? Did GM know there would be problems down the road from misassembly? If they did, then shame on GM. Oh well, my truck is fixed now and running great(so far :eek: ).

koolgt
02-20-2004, 11:32
yeah it wasnt very many of them..plus it was also a vendor issue, along with it, the part of the vain sensor that went into the turbo the big gold looking thingy, had a computer problem, so we had to redo alot of them at the plant, at the very begining as well

Cornell
09-03-2004, 18:00
338 How long did your dealer take to get the parts am I waiting close to two weeks, The parts manager said there are parts in stock throught the country, he can not get them for some reason. The trucks has been down for two weeks for the same reason as 338 truck, any sggestions. THe manager is a friend of mine so I do not think he lying. But I called Kevins Chev in IOWA and he said he would sell it me and shipped to the if I was willing to pay for the part and shipping. The part number is 97376382- turbo vane postioning selinoid. any ideas ? :confused:

Cornell
09-07-2004, 06:17
Did anyone have this part go bad on their truck, the turbo vane positioning selinoid or the vane positioning sensor. I have been waiting two weeks for these parts, The parts manager said. GM will not give him the parts, they are a direct ship from the vendor and to file a complaint with GM may you can get some movement. This truck has been a big disapointment to me ! :confused:

Cornell
09-10-2004, 17:22
I finally got the parts and the truck is back and running,they replace the va :rolleyes: ne sensor and turbo vane seliniod. Seems to be fixed, but it took two weeks to get the parts ;)