PDA

View Full Version : My Blackstone oil report

David Proske
09-08-2003, 15:24
At the 6,000 mile mark I sent in a oil sample to Blackstone. The oil had 3,000 miles on it.

I put the AFE filter on at the start of this drain cycle. Oil was Delo 400.

The only two things that stood out were the copper at 33ppm, Blackstone said that this reading was normal for the engine during wear in.

Silicon reading was 23. If that doesn't get any better ill try washing and reoiling the AFE, if it still doesn't get any better ill try a amsoil filter. Could there still be something in the engine causing the somewhat high silicon?

YZF1R
09-08-2003, 17:23
Mine was also from Blackstone. 12,135mi on truck, Valvoline 5W/40 Diesel Syn. 2,262mi on oil. Copper 7, silicon 10. Amsoil air filter.

My truck has more miles than yours, also I don't have alot of miles on the oil. I don't put on alot of miles so I change it and filter every 2,000mi at Valvoline oil change. Also change it often because I'm not sure about the oil. Haven't heard anything good or bad or anybody that uses it. Once we get another home I will have a place to do this myself and then will probably change to a proven oil.

Steve

jbplock
09-08-2003, 18:34
David,

I had really High Copper (http://http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=006246) at 9363 miles. :eek: :eek: I also just received the test results from Oil Analyzers'on a sample taken at 14k miles and the CU is now at 31ppm. Si was 12ppm. It seems that High CU is normal during break-in not only on the Duramax but other GM engines as well (try BobIsTheOilGuy dot com for more info)... smile.gif

george morrison
09-08-2003, 19:51
As discussed elsewhere, the Duramax does have a signature somewhat elevated copper. This is true of many Japanese engine designs; even though the copper may be 2 to 3 times higher than that of, say, a similar CAT engine, the engines are capable of incredibly long life cycles before overhaul. I have looked at tear down engines and the bearings were good.
And our engines (all engines for that matter) have a load of break in wear metals, build residue (called casting sand!), etc. that simply needs flushed.
However, I would keep a close eye on the dirt (silicon) levels. No, there is nothing in our engines generating silicon; it is simply induction dirt coupled with build dirt. Ideally, we want to see single digit silicon (dirt) which in turn yields the lowest internal wear rates.. Lower abrasive levels, lower wear levels, especially in the softer yellow metals (bearings).
George

Sneaks
09-08-2003, 20:25
I'll add my Blackstone for comparison at 37,000 miles with 5,324 miles on the Rotella T Synthetic 5-40, 3,000 of which was towing 8,000 lbs.
Copper 7, Silicon 9.

GT
09-08-2003, 22:27
Blackstone Labs report at 39,461 mi.7,447 mi. on Delvac 1. Cu 6 Sil. 10 with a ams oil air filter. I try to change oil at 5,000 was on the road a lot this time. About 4,000 mi were towing a 12,000 lb. 5th wheel.