PDA

View Full Version : Installed Mega, have filter Q's

afp
09-08-2003, 16:07
Installed my Mega yesterday, pre-OEM for now. The install was straight forward. It is tight routing the the "out" hose behind the EDU. I didn't need any heat to install the fittings-- oil and a vise allowed me to push them on by hand fairly easily. I guess it works because I have no leaks. I will warn folks that when JK says pump the primer "many times" until fuel comes out the bleeder, the phrase "many times" does not do it justice. I'll bet I pumped for 10 minutes before getting fuel.

I then let the air out of the Mega, re-bled the factory unit, and the truck started right up. It ran for 15 sec or so then quit. I primed again for a couple pumps and bled the Mega, then it started up and ran. I have had no starting or running issues since the intial install, which was expected. The lift I'm going to soon install, IS going to have a switch to assist with the bleeding.

The truck does seem to run smoother. Perhaps the Mega keeps air out of the system.

A couple questions.

Is there a special tool that allows removal of the water seperator from the factory filter? Mine is going to get buggered up when changing the filter.

Is their a tool for removing the pastic factory fasteners for the inner fender well? These too are going to get buggered up with repeated use.

Also, where can I get these fasteners? Dealer only?

Blaine

mdrag
09-08-2003, 17:51
AFP,

Is there a special tool that allows removal of the water seperator from the factory filter? Mine is going to get buggered up when changing the filter.

I've not heard of a special tool for this purpose. I use adjustable channel lock pliers, and yes the fitting is getting 'buggered' up. I'd consider buying a spare water sensor to keep on hand, or pre-install the spare on the next replacement fuel filter to cut down the installation time. I have this part number for the water sensor in my notes but have not verified that it is correct:

Water in fuel sensor part # 97261720

Is their a tool for removing the pastic factory fasteners for the inner fender well? These too are going to get buggered up with repeated use.

I use a small 'L' shaped tool that looks like a minature version of a nail puller, approx 5" long. IIRC, it is made by Stanley, and works better than other tools that I have tried to remove these fasteners. I'll see if I can find the tool name/part number. Someone posted that a small pair of bent needle nose pliers worked for them.

Also, where can I get these fasteners? Dealer only?

Forum members have indicated that replacement plastic fasteners can be found at Autozone and other parts stores. Of course, the dealer should have them. Another option is to install Riv nuts or some other quick disconnect fastener so you do not have to deal with the plastic fasteners.

mdrag
09-08-2003, 18:03
I have two different tools of this type, and one of them is very similar to this one made by Stanley.

http://www.stanleytools.com/catalog_images/web_detail/55045_72dpi_webmax.jpg

http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=HT+BARS&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=55-045&SDesc=7%26quot%3B+x+7%2F8%26quot%3B+Wonder+Bar%26% 23174%3B+II+Pry+Bar] ( [url) STANLEY WONDER BAR II PRY BAR [/url]

I use one of the edges to slightly pry up the center portion of the fastener, then the 'V' notch to finish removal. Less damage to the plastic fasteners than other methods that I've tried, but eventually the fasteners will need replaced.

mdrag

ON EDIT: I tried to fix the link...

afp
09-08-2003, 18:05
Mdrag,

Thanks!!

jbplock
09-08-2003, 18:19
Blaine,

Mdrag covered everything…. The only thing I would add is that you can also
use the handles on a pair of pliers to remove the water separator sensor. There was a
TDP article last year on changing Dmax fuel filters that showed this method. Just insert
the plier handles in the recessed part of the plastic water separator and turn. It
works great and doesn’t hurt the plastic. Parker Super O-Lube on the
O-rings (per a-bear) works good too.
smile.gif

[ 09-09-2003, 05:20 AM: Message edited by: jbplock ]

mdrag
09-08-2003, 18:58
jbplock,

Thanks for the plier handle trick - I missed or forgot about it.

mdrag