PDA

View Full Version : Rough idle and sometimes louder?

BadDog
02-15-2004, 20:23
About 2 weeks ago I noticed my '02 was idling a bit rougher than usual. Previously I could hardly feel vibration at idle, now it's very distinct. I also noticed that it tends to get louder at cruise sometimes, seemingly at random and not necessarily load related (in other words, not necessarily accelerating and unloaded). Almost like the pilot is kicking off.

I really didn

More Power
02-17-2004, 10:25
Differing fuel quality from one location/station to the next and seasonal fuel blending can cause a diesel engine to produce somewhat different sounds throughout the year. For most, this is all a variation of normal.

Rough running generally isn't a problem with variations in fuel quality unless the fuel is really bad. For any engine running problem, first remove any performance products you might be using, change the fuel filter, then see if the problem persists.

If so, visit the dealer. Have them look for any troublecodes, then perform a cylinder balance and fuel rail pressure test.

MP

BadDog
02-19-2004, 10:20
Thanks, that's pretty much what I figured. Just didn't want to waste time on a visit if I didn't have to. Guess I'm due for my first visit on this truck.

Fuel filter was just replaced about 400 miles back, but it could have gotten plugged up if fuel was bad. I'll swap on another and see what happens...