PDA

View Full Version : Help Mdrag !!!!!!!!!!

mackin
08-16-2002, 18:14
Help me ........ Please.......

Where did I go wrong, I got the airdam and lights on and WOW it looks good, just getting rid of the crappie gray airdam and putting on the PIAA one is a direct pick up in looks......OK now the problem, I keep blowing fuses as soon as I try and light them up...... :confused: Four wires and I didn't get it right ......Which ones go where?Black to,white to..... Help I want to go and blind on coming traffic......

MAC :confused:

hoot
08-16-2002, 19:40
Mackin,

I don't have the exact answer but I do know these trucks have most of the switches using the ground. In other words, the hot is always "on". They switch the grounds. Maybe you just have something backwards.

mackin
08-16-2002, 19:58
hoot ,

There is B &W off the lamp and Purple and Brown I think it was dark out off the Factory harness .. I switched it back and forth.....Bill (chevyhdman)suggested a ground problem,most likely.......I was wondering if Mdrag had to put a ground strap off the lamp bracket to a good ground....Plus since he is the electrical guru ,he could tell me B to & W to......I hope ......Before I crimp...Thanks, if you have any more info I'll be gratefull for sure......

MAC

[ 08-16-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

hoot
08-16-2002, 20:48
Mackin,

Maybe they blow fuses cause they use more current than the fuse can handle?

mdrag
08-16-2002, 22:02
mackin,

You should be able to figure it out with a voltmeter. Most of the circuits on these trucks will read 12V on both wires with the switch off, and one of the wires will change to ground when the switch is activated.

Check to see which wire reads 12V with the fog light switch OFF, and stays at 12V when the switch is turned ON. That will be your postive wire. Make sure your high beams are not on when you do this, since the fogs won't come on with the HBs....

Hoot has a good point. IIRC, my PIAA 959 fogs are 85W each, and I have not blown a fuse. I believe you got the 510's, and they are 120W?? You may want to try a larger fuse - try 5A or 10A larger and see what happens.

If the above doesn't fix the problem, then I'll check the wiring diagram in the manual for you. Good luck.

BTW, if you see a bunch of smoke or you have to call the Fire Dept, then I'll delete this post ;) :D

mackin
08-17-2002, 05:09
mdrag,

Thanks I'll check it out today..They are the 520 series and I jumped up to a 20a......Same ......I'll let you know what happens......

MAC

FirstDiesel
08-17-2002, 05:38
Mackin

If I remember my formulas correctly the following is the correct info.

If the bulbs are 120 Watts like MDRAG says then 2 = 240 watts. Power is voltage x current so dividing 240 by 12 you get 20 AMPS. So you should need a bigger fuse than that. Go for 25 or 30 amp.

Nels
08-17-2002, 06:49
Drawing current like that, you may need a heavy harness (ala J. Kennedy, but only one relay & different connectors) to get the good stuff right from the alternator. Tap the original fog light harness to get the signal voltage for the relay.

hoot
08-17-2002, 07:41
nels is right Mackin. You run a risk of burning your truck up by going with higher value fuses on wires that aren't designed for that type of current.

I had a reply all typed up about the two wires possibly both being positive and that you were possibly switching positive to ground but after thinking about it I was confused so I change my mind about posting it.

Mdrag cleared it up for us. It's wierd how they switch one wire from hot to ground.

Mackin, I believe you simply need to find the correct combination.

mackin
08-17-2002, 10:15
Thanks for all the replies .........

They are 520 series and are 85 watt each.......The wire coming out of lamp is wimpier then the stock wire......Not concerned about the gauge of wire I feel it will be adequate.....

Went out this mourning and undid all the connections and checked current.....The purple wire is the hot wire only when switch is on .....No other current reading is to be had unless fog lamp switch is "ON"...... So white being HOT from lamps I made all real good connections and used the connector from PIAA like MDRAG did (thanks man)...Put in a 15 amp fuse and lit the buggers up and WOO HOO they are nice.....PICS TO FOLLOW Later.....Must of either been a bad connection (It was getting dark and I was tipping a couple) or I had something KCAB SDROW$$A .....All is fine went out aimed them according to instructions and I'm thinking about dragging the OEM MELTED lights behind me for a while or just squish them .....Thanks Gents.....

MAC :D

pepperidge
08-17-2002, 10:25
Hey Mac

What happened to your Sig?

You gotta post pics of the finished goods...

Still lookin' for a cheap HI-C (Juice box that is...)

mackin
08-17-2002, 11:53
Pepperidge,

Trying to remember not to post SIG in every post I make in the same thread gets kinda tiring .....

Here is finished goods.......
=&gt;http://www.pbase.com/mackin/new_dmax__pics
Trying a new PIC posting site ,so if we get the privilege back I can paste here...Plus I wanted to secure MACKIN Gallery......

I like a real lot, no more cheesy lamps......Piaa 520 series 85 watt driving lamps....I'm gonna order fog lamp lenses too to switch for a change $47 bucks a pop......

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

mdrag
08-17-2002, 18:42
mackin,

Looks great, even on a black truck! Glad to see that you figured it out.

mdrag

AOPA Roger
08-17-2002, 19:02
I've got to ask off subject. Probably could do a search, but where did you get the front lic plate?

mackin
08-17-2002, 19:25
AOPA Roger,

No problem ask anything you want.......I got it off Ebay,some time ago,it is stainless steel with a plastic emblem attached.... I paid $30 bucks for it ... Steep but I liked it, so who cares, as long as I'm happy with it ... Right? That's what matters....The guy sells them on a regular bases on ebay if you cannot find with a search with Duramax as the search for, let me know......Guy was very prompt and pleasant to deal with ... I spoke on the phone with him and it came well packed to protect finish.....

[ 08-17-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

mackin
08-17-2002, 19:32
mdrag,

With the encouragement and assistants here makes it possible .....Man I dig this BB for the tech support and the people involved to make it happen........
Thanks as always, I'm impressed.......

MAC

AOPA Roger
08-17-2002, 20:23
Mackin, Search resulted in an emblem only, no plates. If you have his information, can you send it to AOPARoger@yahoo.com?

Thanks

pepperidge
08-17-2002, 21:04
Mackin,

Looks awesome!!! sson you'll pass up MDRAG :eek:

It does look good in black...

I've seen pewter cheby's but I don't remember if anyone postedpic's of a pewter GMC with the dam on it.

Well I've got my gauges on order (DD) and with the help of Tinbender should have them in in a few weeks. I guess the Hi-C comes next. hopefully before A shop down here called Gerhardt Diesel has there dyno-days (Nov. 2 2002) Last time they had this a F#*D Extuurdsion with a banks kit came in second... 1 h.p. behind the winner in another Powderstroke at 290 h.p. Will the juice allow me to beat em'?

DMAXDiva
08-17-2002, 21:15
Hey Mackin:

Wow, that new dam looks great! Sure wish I could fit one of those on the Ranch Hand... ;)

NutNbutGMC
08-17-2002, 21:25
^......Mackin, Nice lookin' juiced up joy ride. I like the air dam and the illuminating gadgets.

hoot
08-17-2002, 21:45
Mackin,

You have one nicely done rig there. I might even go so far as to say you have good taste. Not overdone.... good looking.

Awsome...... eeeeven

JEBar
08-18-2002, 04:05
Looks sharpe Mack .... looking forward to seeing it up close and personal in Cornwall ... :cool: Jim

mackin
08-18-2002, 11:24
AOPA Roger ,

I see the auction has ended keep checking back, they are there all the time......When I see it again I will let you know......I think he has a buy it now at 35 bucks,but I bidded.......It'll be there soon....Hope your not competing against fellow members here.....LOL

Thanks for all the compliments Ladies and gents ......Not sure why I don't see more around, puts the stock stuff to shame....The airdam is so much nicer alone .....I was gonna take some pics ,but it was starting to rain and I put the camera away.....Finished up in the rain ......It was 90 ISH and humidity was unreal so the spotty light on and off rain felt good,I was soaked in sweat any way.....

Pepperidge Me catch up to MDRAG never he has such a led on me .....But I like all the stuff he has in/on that rolling beauty......There is some deals to be had on the JUICE on EBAY......Seen one for $550 cheap ....Buyer Be Ware,there are scams.....If you win talk personally with seller ,that's what I do....Use AMEX well protected against fraud.....

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

hoot
08-18-2002, 13:28
Give the guy an e-mail. The last two look loke they were unsold....

http://search-completed.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=duramax+plate&ht=1&itemtimedisp=1&st=2&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&BasicSearch=

pullinpower
08-18-2002, 15:48
mackin what is AMex?????

mackin
08-18-2002, 18:26
The don't leave home without it card of choice.......
Short for AMerican EXpress.......
My year end summary looks like a phone book......
Working on a Free trip for two around the
world in fly miles towards purchases......LOL

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

pullinpower
08-18-2002, 18:41
LOL,mack should have known.I use my trusty GM card to knock that extra bit off my next 04 dmax :D

pepperidge
08-18-2002, 20:26
Thanks Mac & Hoot I will let you know what I find out...