PDA

View Full Version : Post OEM Fuel Filter Gas Problem, And Hose Routing

Modified
09-08-2003, 20:17
With the bazillion post about post OEM fuel filters with a gas problem, maybe these thoughts have already been discussed, and verified true or false. I lost track, so I'll throw out a few of my thoughts.
Could some of the following issues be the cause of the gas buildup?

1). Routing of the fuel hoses. Some suggest routing the outlet fuel line from the OEM filter, under the Fuel Injection Control Module, to the inlet of the secondary filter, for that neat, out of the way look. Could this be adding extra heat to the fuel, which is promoting offgassing? Wouldn't we be better off routing hose further away from the hot engine, to reduce heat rise?

2). The ideal mounting locations would be the fuel tank lowest, then the OEM filter higher, then the secondary filter higher, and last the fuel injector pump at the highest point. If all hoses had a constant slow up, any gases would constantly travel with the fuel, and not accumulate at a unvented high point in the system. If we install the secondary filter under the air box, this filter is lower than the OEM filter AND the injector pump, and may trap accumulating gas.

3). Some mentioned starting problems, maybe due to truck being parked uphill. If this is true, maybe accumulated gas migrates with truck parked uphill, with no fuel flow, to a point where the injector pump looses suction.

4). Some people have little of no problems, like Dmaxallitech with his 30K miles. What does he know, or how did he install the system, that may be preventing problems?

I installed my Post OEM Mega filter under the air box this weekend, and here's how I routed my hose. Hopefully this can eliminate gas collection. If not, back to the drawing board.
My outlet tubing from the OEM filter is tipped up slightly. I connected hose to this OEM outlet, routed hose up 180 degrees, along the Turbocharger Air Duct, with a high point vent tee with needle valve, toward the Auxiliary battery. The tee is hose clamped to the Turbo Air Duct. This hose then continues down to the secondary filter inlet.
The outlet hose of the secondary filter is routed back toward the Auxillary battery, then toward engine, with a high point vent tee with needle valve, hose clamped to the A/C hose from accumulator. This fuel line then continues down to injector pump, with about six inches of line above engine, by injector pump , insulated.
Both of these fuel line, high point vent needle valves should ensure all gas is vented from lines, and even the filters, when the system is vented. Maybe gas could continue to collect at these high points when driving, but I could not see any hose line route that would ensure a constant slow upward, toward injector pump. I tried to keep the fuel lines away from the hot engine, to reduce offgassing.
I understand, by cutting each hose and installing a tee, with two barb adapters, a bushing and needle valve, it is a possibility for vacuum leaks, but hopefully with careful installation, no leaks are introduced. If problems arise, a lift pump may be the answer. Time will tell.
Constructive comments or criticisms are always welcome. Sharing my thoughts may spark more ideas, for a more reliable fuel filtration system.
And I almost forgot,

dmaxalliTech
09-08-2003, 20:52
Steve, we can review your install when you come in Oct.

SoCalDMAX
09-08-2003, 22:32
I'd take a look at the bushings, didn't someone say their bushings melted from the fuel? There sure are a lot of connections and stuff, everything's a possible source of leaks.

Regards, Steve

chuntag95
09-09-2003, 08:48
In my playing around, I have added air traps similar to your setups. I put a clear fuel filter on the top of the tee with the pet cock coming out of it for bleeding. Ultimately, if you want no air, it will be a lift pump that is required IMO. The hose routing and heat will be a factor as I proved we could get the fuel to outgas in a simple test. You might reduce the amount of air, but I don't think it will eliminate it from just a different route as I tried several. I would love to see one of Eric's installs to see how he is doing it since he has a great success rate. Can you post some pics?

Kennedy
09-09-2003, 10:09
1). Routing of the fuel hoses. Some suggest routing the outlet fuel line from the OEM filter, under the Fuel Injection Control Module, to the inlet of the secondary filter, for that neat, out of the way look. Could this be adding extra heat to the fuel, which is promoting offgassing? Wouldn't we be better off routing hose further away from the hot engine, to reduce heat rise?

My testing shows free air coming from the EDU already, so from there it likely makes little difference.

2). The ideal mounting locations would be the fuel tank lowest, then the OEM filter higher, then the secondary filter higher, and last the fuel injector pump at the highest point. If all hoses had a constant slow up, any gases would constantly travel with the fuel, and not accumulate at a unvented high point in the system. If we install the secondary filter under the air box, this filter is lower than the OEM filter AND the injector pump, and may trap accumulating gas.

Actually, the lower the tank, the greater the pressure drop (suction head) required to "pull" the fuel.

3). Some mentioned starting problems, maybe due to truck being parked uphill. If this is true, maybe accumulated gas migrates with truck parked uphill, with no fuel flow, to a point where the injector pump looses suction.

I believe that this may be more a function of the check valve in the OE head unit allowing drainback to the tank and possibly ingestion of air through a fuel system component with a less than perfect seal. It also could put the pump as the highest place in the system so air in the OE filter could rise up the hose to the pump inlet.

4). Some people have little of no problems, like Dmaxallitech with his 30K miles. What does he know, or how did he install the system, that may be preventing problems?

I have 20k on mine. I always had air accumulation, but no problems with starting. I have installed a lift pump as I believe it is a GOOD thing to have, and since install, I have no accumulation of air in my filter.

Here's a simple "laymen's" drawing of where the pressure drops are in the system. The under score (_) indicates the lowest pressure drop, the dash (-) is the middle, and the "bunab" :D (~) as I call it is the closest to atmosphere.

Post OE:

TANK~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~P---S___PUMP

Pre OE:

TANK~~~P-------------------------------------------------S_______PUMP

Basically, in a pre OE system, there is a much longer "residence time" in the lower pressure ranges. Also keep in mind that the pressure changes INSIDE the filter as flow across the media creates the resistance. This means that inside the "heart" of element is a lower pressure than outside. Elevating the tank could make the "bunab" areas neutral, and even positive. Adding a lift pump would have the same effect. Make sense???

Not entered into the equation is the number of bends, jogs etc along the way in the OE hard lines and hoses...