PDA

View Full Version : Motul Synthetic Oil

ItsMrBill
02-17-2004, 06:35
Has anyone heard of Motul synthetic oil? Not to bring the "oil" subject up for debate again but I just bought a VW TDI and one of the disclaimers for the motor oil is that it must meet VW 505-01 specifications otherwise unwarranteed damage may result.

I have been using Delvac-1 in my Duramax but this oil is not VW 505-01 certified. It would be nice to adhere to one oil manufacturer for both vehicles. Does anyone know what this certification entails and if Delvac-1 will ever make this certification?

2fast2
02-17-2004, 17:11
I use Motul synthetic brake fluid in my sports car. Supposedly it is the best according to my car club. I don't know anything about their motor oil but I bet it is top quality. Use google and see what you can find out.

Good luck.

Professor
02-17-2004, 17:31
They have been around at least 14 years. I was using Motul products in the late 80's and early 90's in motorcycle applications. As 2fast said, their Brake Fluid used to be #1.

Paintdude
02-17-2004, 17:41
I use Motul in my Motorcycle. First rate stuff,Muzzys use it(RIcky Gadson and Chip Ellis) but I have never used it a automotive application. Royal Purple is a some great oil products also. Motul is some awsome stuff I wouldn`t be afraid of using it.

mhagie
02-17-2004, 18:14
I just purchased a 04 vw golf TDI 2 days ago and in conversation with service manager he said they use only Mobil 1 in all the TDI's they service, now I haven't looked at a bottle of Mobil 1 but I am curious as to whether one can find the vw 505-1 listed.
Most all mfgrs say their synthetics will not void warranty but I would be hesitant to put it to the test.

Professor
02-18-2004, 04:23
I understand there is a Mobil 1 that is 505.01 listed. It is not Delvac1, however. It is Europe spec oil. I'm not sure if it is even available in the USA.

Oil Specs (http://www.sju.edu/~ahedin/Audi_Oil.gif)

NJDMAX
02-20-2004, 19:10
ItsMrBill,
Volkswagon supplies the New Jersey dealers with Castrol Syntec 5w-40. Mobil Delvac 1 is ok to use in your TDI.
Hope this helps. Tom