PDA

View Full Version : More fuel filter Q's

ratlover
09-09-2003, 12:58
More q's about fuel filter....just what every one wants to here about again right :rolleyes:

I first want to thank the folks that have taken the time to do the research on the fuel filter situation. I am planning on going with a CAT filter for 1 main reason. I have a couple of friends at CAT and it will be the cheapest option ;)

I have a parts list for all the needed stuff but I remember someone making a statement that there was on CAT base plate/filter combo that was better than the other setup that most people were using but it was cost prohibitive. Because of said friends in low places I don't think it will be so bad. I couldn't find any info on it through a search though.....I'm not remembering stuff am I?

The current game plan is pre CAT (I am thinking between tank and cooler) with a Delco lift pump. I don't plan on going with a h2o or heater even though I live in IL and the truck wont be garaged. I use FPPF total power so I don't think gelling in a pre cat will be a problem? Probably go a bit richer on the additive in the winter.

If anyone has info on the CAT filter I thought I heard about or any comments on my game plan and filter placement and such please let me know.

JEBar
09-09-2003, 20:32
ratlover
"If anyone has info on the CAT filter I thought I heard about or any comments on my game plan and filter placement and such please let me know."

I have no experience with a Cat filter but so far as I know, they make good ones. As to the filter placement, that is a very different story. Regardless of how clean your fuel may be when it enters our OEM filters... to me, having fuel go directly from an OEM filter to the injectors is a very scary thing.

A few monts ago, John Kennedy removed an OEM filter from my truck when he installed a Mega Filter system. That OEM filter was sent to Mdrag and he cut it open. You can see pictures of it at:
http://community.webshots.com/album/78464371PcGaFz

Mdrag found that the water collector part of the filter (after about 12,000 miles) was badly rusted. Today I UPS'ed him an unused filter that was purchased the same date as the one he cut open. In looking at this new filter, some rust could be seen in the same location. We are adding additional filtration to our trucks because we know the OEM filters don't sufficiently screen out materials that can harm our injectors. If rust developes in an OEM filter, particles of that rust could easily end up blasting our injectors. Secondly, there are documented failures of OEM filters where a plate has broken loose that helps separate the dirty from the clean fuel side. In this case, any trash in the OEM filter could easily pass on to the injectors.

With a pre-OEM aftermarket filter, the fuel going into the OEM filter will most certainly be cleaner. However, fuel comtaminated by the OEM filter could be passed on to our injectors. That system fails to make sense to me and because I have had this type of trouble with OEM filters. For this reason, to me, aftermarket filtration (brand of your choice) makes much more sense when added Post-OEM....Jim

[ 09-10-2003, 03:50 AM: Message edited by: JEBar ]

SoCalDMAX
09-09-2003, 21:33
ratlover,

Just one minor correction, the fuel cooler is on the return line, not on the suction. I don't know anything about the CAT lineup of filters and mounts. Do they have some kind of catalog you can look through? Hopefully someone can help out.

Regards, Steve

GMC-2002-Dmax
09-09-2003, 21:59
JEBar ,

If you do a search here maybe a thread will pop up. I am leaning in that direction myself, but want to stay pre-oem install.

GMC ;)

Jack's Dmax
09-10-2003, 01:21
If you install your Cat filter pre-OEM, you won't need a lift pump. I installed mine in the wheel well below the filler tube. Use search for ndamico's past postings for a parts listing.

Jack

Trip
09-10-2003, 06:09
CAT told me there is only one filter head that would accept the 749 or 750 2 micron filters. That head comes 2 ways...1) w/a primer pump that is angled up, or...2) w/ a cap-off plate in lieu of the pump. I wanted the primer pump, but wanted the pump turned horizontal due to lack of clearance under the truck. CAT makes a head that does just that, but it's not for the 2 micron filters. So, as per what they told me, you have the 1 head with the 2 options as stated previously. Hope that helps.

ratlover
09-10-2003, 06:56
I thought people were placing filters between the tank and the cooler, on the flexy line? Were are most guys sticking it between right after the tank? :confused:

I relize all the talk of pre-post but in weighing the optings I believe pre is the way to go for me. My dealer seems cool but I dont want any hassels. I figure that if a OE filter kersploads then GM will be taking care of me. I also feel that using an emulsifire will keep water collecting to a minimum. Yes from a filtering standpoint it dosnt make sense to send clean fuel through a big screen filter in effect but oh well.

Trip, I thought someone mentioned that there was a different filter/baseplate combo but that it was cost prohibitive. This is my main question.

Thanks for all the feed back! smile.gif

56Nomad
09-10-2003, 09:58
I think these are the part numbers that all the
CAT folks are using...

FILTER BASE.......1N-3789
FUEL FILTER.......1R-0750 SHORT OR 1R-0749 TALL
GASKET.....1P-0436 (GOES BETWEEN COVER PLATE WHEN REMOVING PRIME PUMP)
COVER...6N-4414 (REPLACES PRIME PUMP)
PLUG...9S-4182...(FILLS EXTRA HOLE IN FILTER PLATE)
SEAL O RING...3J-7354...(GOES ON PLUG,EXTRA HOLE)
BOLT...8T-0640...(COVER)
BOLT...6V-5218...(COVER)
WASHER...5P-0537...(PUT ON BOLT LISTED ABOVE)
WASHER...9M-1974...(PUT ON BOLT LISTED ABOVE)

Trip
09-12-2003, 04:20
Ratlover: I don't know of any other head...expensive or not, but those are just my sources. As per the install, I dropped the fuel cooler by removing the 2 bolts and let it hang temporarily. The 1/2" flex line can then be accessed right on the front corner of the tank, closest to the driveshaft. That's where I made my cut after everything was in and ready to go. The 1/2" couplings are a real b**ch to put on the existing flex. I couldn't get them all the way up to butt against the collar...close but not touching, so I clamped those with no leaks. I mounted the filter assembly on the frame about a 1.5' in front of the cooler so as not to interfere with air flow. Good luck!

ratlover
09-12-2003, 06:13
I musta been dreaming?

Oh well I'm going to give my buddies the part lists and see what they can scrounge up. Big pre CAT for me :cool:

Thanks guys smile.gif