PDA

View Full Version : The LLY of my dreams..

Chris N5CWM
02-17-2004, 19:49
I think I found my truck! It's been a long time since I owned a GM diesel truck. My last one was a 1994 Chevy K2500 6.5TD 4x4 Silverado extended cab long bed. Put about 80,000 miles on it without a single problem. Since then I've had two Cummins powered Dodge Rams (01 3500 6x6 and a 2001 2500 4x4). The new LLY finally has my interest peaked. I test drove >this particular truck< (http://n5cwm.dynip.com/gmc04/) the other day. Invoice price is $43,400. Minus any incentives or low interest rates (0% would be awesome) and add TT&L. It's a sweet ride that's for sure.
There's nothing wrong with my current Ram which has over 52K trouble free miles. Selling it to a friend in North Carolina if this goes as planned.
There have been a lot of Duramax trucks I've test driven and said that I'd be back when they add this or do that to them. Well one wish a couple years ago was for the steering wheel controls and instrument cluster computer. Got that. The other was for more HP and torque. Got that with the LLY. Don't care for the Chevy front end design. The GMC is awesome in my eyes.
I found an identically equipped Chevy 2500HD a few months ago but it had several thousand miles of "dealer's Son's use". No way Jose..probably hard miles. This GMC has 7 on it and 6.3 are from me. smile.gif It's a lot of $$ compared to my current Ram, especially compared to my '94 which stickered at $29K. I bought both new. Of course the '04 GMC is a heck of a lot more truck than the '94 ever was.
What kind of incentives are there available to us buyers right now? What's better, Zero percent financing, or cash rebates? How much BELOW invoice have any of you bought a new DMax LLY recently? I have yet to sit down in front of the finance Man. I hate that part because I recently bought a Trailblazer for my wife and the one she wanted didn't work out because the finance Man didn't want to work with us. It was a high-volume dealership (LandShark in Houston). They didn't sell us a truck that night let's say that much. Ended up buying at a different dealer, basically the same vehicle but without the sunroof for even better interest rate. Well there are no other LLY's that I can find with this many options locally. I did find a new Ram 2500 Laramie with the Sport front end (paint matched bumpers, grille), Cummins 325/600, 6 speed NV5600 manual trans, 4x4, Quad Cab, short bed, leather, GPS Navigation system..$36K invoice! But I like the GM interior a lot better and I want to be back in a GM product. Always been a GM fanatic.
Check out the pics. I blurred the info on it so someone doesn't come along and steal her out from under my nose while I comtemplate Cummins or LLY Duramax.
I plan on keeping the LLY stock since it is plenty strong as is. My current Ram has 275 RV injectors, Edge fueling module etc. and is quick for a 5 speed manual (15.2 @92 in the 1/4) with some clutch slip ;) but the DMax is a Caddy compared to the Ram. My Ram is quite a brute when it comes to being a truck and I love it with all my heart but I am "bored" with it now and want to get back in a GM truck. I'm just not sure it's worth the asking price.
Convince me!
Flame suit on. ;)

*edited for spelling

02-18-2004, 02:59
Hey Chris, I just bought a new Chevy LLY diesel truck 2 weeks ago.
Sticker price with options was just over $41,000.

Discounts =

GM employee price = -$6,100.00
Incentive = -$2,500.00 or 0% for 5 years(if you qualify ;) )

Incentive = -$250 if you are actual GM employee or contract employee(Not relative of GM employee)

Incentive = -$1,000.00 Duramax/Allison power package discount.

Total I paid with tax = $33,019.00 (I took the $2,500.00)

These discounts are only good until march 1st. But who knows, they may have something better by the second week in march.

By the way it is a sweet truck. My friend has a new dodge with the cummins, and he says he really likes mine alot. He test drove my Chevy and said there is no way his stock cummins will keep up with my stock Duramax. (Off the light of course smile.gif ) Plus you can't beat the ride of a Chevy/GMC, I don't care what anyone says.

Good luck!

DMAX4LIFE
02-18-2004, 05:06
Where/what was the truck that was a "dealer's sons" at? Just wondering.

Chris N5CWM
02-18-2004, 07:36
I agree the GM rides much better. There's no doubt about that. They've done a good job of making a truck ride more like a car..but does that make it a tradeoff when it comes to putting weight in it, such as a 5th wheel or gooseneck?
I think so and if I were planning on pulling one I'd go with a SRW 3500.

Acceleration is a no brainer. The DMax will flat jump when it comes to off-the-line starts. It's the Alison gearing and torque multiplication at work! smile.gif Even at highway speeds, it pulls hard. I took it out onto the freeway and at 70, floored it..no downshift, just a hard pull. It'd be so easy to pass someone with 590 Ft Lbs. My ol' 6.5 was smooth but when it came to passing I usually didn't do it with that truck.

DMAX4LIFE, the Chevy is long gone. This was over the summer, maybe 6 months ago or more.

The finances aren't looking too good. I am not a GM emplyee so pricing would -probably- start at invoice and go up from there. I can't afford a $700/month payment right now. My house is for sale here in TX, and once it sells I'm moving to NC and I don't need any added debt right now.

It is a sweet truck..they'll build more! Maybe next year it'll be 620 Ft Lbs... :D

J54 Mark
02-18-2004, 16:45
I posted this over in Members Duramax Forum, but it appears to belong in this thread.

I am strongly considering an '04 extended cab (Duramax, of course), Allison, 4X4. A dealer has offered one he has on order at invoice, less some $500 rebate PLUS 60 month 0% financing. This latter is important as in my business cash flow is everything. Sticker is $41,200 something, and out the door price is $36,001. Of course, I could pay cash and get the other $2500 rebate to bring it down to $33,501(sure, right).

For the life of me I can't figure out how to buy a late model used one at a price that makes sense, when calculating actual payments and looking at residual value. Interest rates are going to be 6%, and no way am I going to finance 60 months on a used one.

Or I could buy a (ahem) Dodge for exactly $3,000 less, but with six speed. I can't see this either as it is likely the Chevy will be worth at least $3,000 more at almost any point in its life.

Am I missing something?

Mark

DMAX4LIFE
02-24-2004, 16:04
I figured it was gone..but I was wondering where it was/what it was. Was it a red CC/SB LT w/ around 10K miles?

Chris N5CWM
02-24-2004, 19:02
It was a 2500HD crew cab short bed, white, loaded with everything including the rear-seat DVD player. Buckalew Chevrolet in Conroe had it.

DMAX4LIFE
02-25-2004, 09:48
I was wondering because mine (dealer's sons unit) was for sale a while back and it was loaded exactly like the one you said, but it was red. I don't treat my vehicles badly. I actually take very good care of them.

danhercules
02-25-2004, 10:45
Originally posted by J54 Mark:

Sticker is $41,200 something, and out the door price is $36,001. Of course, I could pay cash and get the other $2500 rebate to bring it down to $33,501(sure, right).

Mark Am I missin somthin?? I am not by any way flamin ya.

But, How did ya get the "out the door" price so low??
That includes, sals tax, and lic, and ect???

The one I am musselin over has a stick of 46,896.

My out the door is 44,500.00. Thats with the 0% and NOT the 2500 rebate. The dealer said he will take 5k off the sticker, and that is at $300 above invoice. Dose this sound right?

I am not callin anyone out, but I wanna find out if I am getting the truth. Thanks for all the help.

J54 Mark
02-25-2004, 14:28
No that does not include tax. Here in Mo you pay the sales tax at registration, not to the dealer. Sales tax is another $2200 at my address.

With the various incentives the price is $500 under "invoice", except for the $2500 rebate for cash. I'm taking the 60 mo. financing.

I'm not flamin' either, but $36,001 did not sound to me all that low! Around here that will buy 30-40 acres of land!

Good luck,

Mark

Chris N5CWM
02-25-2004, 19:35
GM is making a killing on vehicles. There is no way, even below invoice, that they aren't making a few grand. I can't keep from stopping by the local lot every now and then. But when I look at the sticker price... :eek: I really want to get back in a GM but there is no way I can justify almost $50 grand for a pickup! Now a new Corvette may be a good "bang for the buck" at that price. The new C6 at least..the C5 doesn't appeal to me.
So long as the buying public continue to accept these outrageous prices, the automakers will keep selling 'em. Heck I thought my '94 was rediculous at $29K. Give it 5 years..will we be looking at $55K for a loaded 2500HD? I'll bet we will! Suburbans have already topped $52K for a 3/4 ton. :(
When I price the new Dodge Rams with the Cummins 325/600, I was shown a price of $32K out the door and it was not a stipped down version. Granted it didn't have leather but it had almost everything else.
My wife wants a new Suburban ($45K) and I want a new DMax ($45K). I can see it now, buying $90K worth of vehicles...hmmmmmmmmmmm..not!
Her Trailblazer and my Cummins Ram might have to suffice for now.
I hate it but it is very discouraging thinking about how much it costs for new vehicles nowdays.

Lee_klm
02-25-2004, 20:13
Chris,

Keep in mind that you are comparing the sticker price of the GM to the "out the door" price of the dodge. I am buying a nicely equipped 04 GMC Dmax/Allison Crewcab 4x4 "out the door" for about 34K after incentives & rebates (including my GM card). Sticker was about 43K. Not saying 34k is cheap, but in line with the others. Sticker just does not mean much for any of the Mfg's.

Chris N5CWM
02-26-2004, 20:17
The invoice price was 43K for the GMC. The invoice for the Ram that I was looking at (not loaded with options) was 33K. Granted I didn't spend any time with the finance dept haggling over the price and the interest rate. When it gets to that point I've basically decided to buy the truck.
Comparatively, a Dodge Laramie stickers at 42-44K depending on options. The loaded 2500HDs are about 3-5K more. No chance for any family discounts. I have run the numbers and if I were to buy the one I posted about in the first post of this thread, my payment would be $700+ / month. That's about $250 more a month than I'm able to justify. :( The GMC had a lot more options than any of the Dodges I was looking at.
(Not Laramie/loaded ones).
I wasn't attempting to comapare GMC sticker to Dodge invoice. I don't know how that came across.

:confused:

OC_DMAX
02-26-2004, 20:50
In my opinion, GM (in particular) has inflated the Suggested Retail price of their vehicles and has essentially built into this price the amount of the "rebates" that they later offer you.

Sooner or later, this strategy will come back to haunt GM.

JB6600
02-27-2004, 04:41
0% for 60 mos. on $33,000 is $550 per month.............JB. http://www.chevrolet.com/medium_duty/kodiak/images/c4500_business/th_versahauler.jpg

Lee_klm
02-27-2004, 05:11
I misinterpreted your post Chris. When you mentioned 45K for the dmax, I just assumed that was Sticker. The SLE (non-leather) that I ordered had a sticker of 44k, and an invoice of about 38k before rebates/discounts.

I do agree that the !*&#^% mfg's inflate the MSRP and offer more rebates to make us "feel" like we are getting a better deal. A german friend of mine who previously worked for Mercedes said that the sales approach was very different, and caused a few board room arguments when Mercedes and Chrysler merged.

Stephen1
03-01-2004, 17:39
In Illinois or Wisconsin you should be able to find anywhere from $200 to $500 below invoice. Minus cash back or finance options listed above.

My build date is this week. New one ton on the way!

Steve