PDA

View Full Version : Stock Oil Filter Leaking

Hoppy1942
02-19-2004, 16:41
Detected leak after cold start (i.e., engine cold and weather is cold) and consquently oil pressure is high. Leak tended to stop after engine warmed up. Dealer told me mine was the third one he had seen lately doing the same thing. Chevolet told him it was perhaps a "bad" batch of filters. Filter was torqued properly. Anyone else having the problem and did you switch to another brand filter.

mark45678
02-19-2004, 17:24
the OEM 2232 oil filter is a very good one ! I would say the filer was put on dry with oil on the gasket and WAS WAY TO TIGHT!!! I would guess there was over 100'lbs on on my 2001 dmax oil filter broke the first oil filter wrench and changed to a differnt type before I broke the 2nd one! end up getting a matco 3 jawed one to work . the OEm filter has a extra thick steel can because of the oil pressure these motors make with cold oil!

crafty
02-20-2004, 06:12
A month ago when we had a real cold snap (-30 C), and my block heater died, I had an oil leak at the oil filter as well. It happened on two mornings a few days apart and it hasn't happened since. The dealer felt that it was due to the high pressure, cold temperatures and no block heater. I always install the filter hand tight and have never had any problems previous to this. I have also used only AC Delco filters.
I don't think there is an actual problem with the filter at all. I think it depends on how close to full (or over full) you have your oil level. With the high pressure the Dmax has and really cold weather something has to give if there is no room in the system, otherwise something else would blow. :D :D :D