PDA

View Full Version : Injector Pump Went Bad

johns
11-19-2004, 13:03
Had to get towed to the dealer this morning. Leaking diesel to beat the band. Dealer found a bad Injector Pump.

Is this an ongoing issue with the Duramax? I know the earlier 6.5's had some issues with injector pumps, but I didn't think it was an issue with the Duramax.

If it is, then I'll have to dump this truck before my 100,000 mile warranty runs out.

DmaxMaverick
11-19-2004, 15:37
High pressure fuel pump (injector pump) problems are not at all common. It is a mechanical device, built by human hands, so some are going to fail. Repairs are covered under the 100K engine warranty, which requires a $100 deductible. The fuel pump is NOT a reason to dump your truck.

My HP pump was replaced (30K) after a misdiagnosed electrical connector failure. Now, I am having issues with the fuel pump regulator (80K), which is an integral part of the pump. I had a good one, now I don't. It happens.

johns
11-20-2004, 07:51
believe me I understand that it is a mechanical device and will fail eventually as will other mechanical parts. What I'm asking is this something that is going to fail every year? Every 10,000 miles? Every 50,000 miles? That's what I'm trying to find out.

I had an `85 Jeep Cherokee that I had to replace the water pump every 6 months. I'm not looking for another experience like that.

I was on my way to work when it failed and had to get towed 50 miles back to my dealer. Luckily the ERS I have will pay the entire fee of $ 175.00 for the tow. I would hate to have my 5er hookup and have this fail while on a trip in another state. Then I have the hassle getting the job approved before it can be done. All the while I'm living in my trailer in the dealers parking lot.

I need a vehicle that I can have faith in; especially when on the road.

4diesels
11-20-2004, 14:00
Well Johns..... My experience with two different D/A trucks was such that I no longer own either. The '01 was traded off at 97k miles and the '03 recently at 34k miles. I personally had more problems with the GM trucks than all of my others combined. The '03 had, a brake booster pump fail, steering shaft fail, recall for tailgate straps?, and burnt tranny fluid early in its life, and this truck had it easy. I would have to look back at records for the '01 but it was a fairly regular thing to have it fixed for one reason or another. I have switched brands and have been very happy. I have given up some creature comforts but I am much happier from a mechanical standpoint. I have had zero repairs on the Dodge trucks, now at 70k, 50k and 200 miles. Now get ready for the fireworks! My opinion isn't going to be well recieved here ;)