PDA

View Full Version : 6.5L EXHAUST SYSTEMS?????????

Robthechitkicker
07-12-2005, 18:20
Hey guys Im getting around to putting exhaust on my truck and would like to run duals, but the kits are few and far between, and on top of that, I have yet to see one with duals. I'm thinking about just putting a downpipe, and gutting the cat, and going to 3" duals from the cat back with 4 inch tips. does anyone know of any dual kits or better ways to go about putting duals on a 6.5 and getting the best performance?....any help is appreciated

Kennedy
07-12-2005, 18:24
I prefer a single 3.5" for the 6.5. My system has been dyno proven to work over a stock system with cat punched and muffler deleted. Dyno plot on my web site under Gallery/Superflow Chassis dyno

GMC Hauler
07-13-2005, 07:16
There are three systems out there, all single. I think you would have to get a dual system manafactured. Bill Heath sells a 3", John Kennedy sells a 3.5", and Jardine sells a 4". I think the three inch is too small. The 3.5" is right where you need to be, and the 4" is for those who want it a bit larger. The 3.5" is easier to install, as the 4" starts to get close to having clearance problems. I used a 4", and with careful positioning of the pipes, had no problems.

moondoggie
07-13-2005, 10:23
Good Day!

None of my business (no offense taken if you don't answer :D ) but why do you want duals? Seems like duals might make sense for a NA motor, but with one outlet at the turbo... A single 4" has only slightly less cross-sectional area than two 3" pipes, & probably flows as much or more than the 3" duals would, due to the single 4" having much less surface area inside the pipe(s). Something to consider... ;)

Blessings! :D

Robthechitkicker
07-14-2005, 19:24
Hey GMC...do you have a link for the Jardine website? I have been looking at JK's system and Heath's, but never heard of Jardine

JeffsTowTruck
07-15-2005, 01:16
NOTHING AGAINST ANYONE'S SYSTEM, BUT I WENT TO A LOCAL MUFFER SHOP HERE AND THEY TOOK OFF MY STOCK EXHAUST AND PUT ME A 3" SYSTEM WITH A FREE FLOW ( STRGHT THROUGH ) MUFFLER. THE PRICE WAS A LOT LESS THAN WHAT I HAVE SEEN. smile.gif I ASKED THEM ABOUT DUALS TOO BECAUSE I LIKE THE LOOK. THEY ADVISED ME, THAT WAS ALL I WOULD BE GETTING OUT OF DUALS IS THE LOOK. SO I DECIDED IT WOULD BE BETTER TO SPEND THE MONEY ON SOMETHING ELSE OTHER THAN JUST " THE LOOK " BUT IF YOU GOT THE MONEY THEY DO LOOK GOOD!! :D

TurboDiverArt
07-15-2005, 02:02
Originally posted by kennedy:
I prefer a single 3.5" for the 6.5. My system has been dyno proven to work over a stock system with cat punched and muffler deleted. Dyno plot on my web site under Gallery/Superflow Chassis dyno Hey John,

Glad you posted about the exhaust comparison. This is great info. Was the stock exhaust that was used less CAT and muffler? Just wondering what the baseline reference was. Would be really interesting to know and plot the various

GMC Hauler
07-15-2005, 07:15
Here is the link: Pinnacle Power (http://www.pinnaclepowerexhaust.com/)

C.K. Piquup
07-17-2005, 03:15
A fouth choice is a BD 4".I had duals made on my`92 back then when no one made performance diesel exhausts.That was when people were saying there wasn`t anything you can do diesels other than maybe turning up the pump.

fastcat800
07-18-2005, 07:55
SSDiesel Supply has a 4" system too.

Kennedy
07-18-2005, 13:30
Originally posted by TurboDiverArt:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by kennedy:
[b] I prefer a single 3.5" for the 6.5. My system has been dyno proven to work over a stock system with cat punched and muffler deleted. Dyno plot on my web site under Gallery/Superflow Chassis dyno Hey John,

Glad you posted about the exhaust comparison. This is great info. Was the stock exhaust that was used less CAT and muffler? Just wondering what the baseline reference was. Would be really interesting to know and plot the various

sturgeon-phish
07-18-2005, 17:43
Dave,
What do you think of the exhaust from ssdiesel supply?
Thanks
Jim

fastcat800
07-19-2005, 12:33
Jim, I just have a stock system on my truck now. I have looked at the SS system on their web site. It's 4" after the 3" down pipe, uses 14 ga. aluminized tubing and is priced at $359 plus shipping.

Hubert
07-19-2005, 13:18
Jim, here is a second opinion for you.

I just had the SSdiesel 3"DP and 4" exhaust put on my truck.( 97 K2500 xcab shrtbed).

I was going to install it myself while doing clutch, oil lines, and remote oil filter then decided not to do it. A local shop charged me $100 to install it. Well worth it they welded or brazed all joints and brazed up some hangers to the gm factory hangers very neat job. Its a tight fit! The system seemed to fit well one piece is cut for short bed applications. You can't fit any bigger pipe in there; at least between the turbo back past the frame crossmembers. Maybe a bigger section over the axle and out the back but 4" is more than enough. The muffler is thru style. I cut the old system out with a sawzall(cut hangers off as close to OE pipe as I could). The hangers with the kit wouldn't bolt up to OE brackets (the big reason I paid for install).

Its not that loud ovall but does have a little drone sound to it at certain rpms. Overall I really really like it. Nice deep rumble and way improved low and midrange power. ( My soot trap was dirty - not clogged but plenty restrictive). I can hear the turbo whistle between idle and about 1600 rpms then exhaust tone covers up everything including diesel engine rattle ( unfortunately). I would like more turbo whistle and want to do a good cold air intake but thats another post all in itself.

I recommend the exhaust upgrade very much which ever brand you choose!!! Its old news on here but you should do it!

I did not opt for the crossover upgrade as I don't think 4 cylinders require that much flow and I don't think the OE crossover is that restrictive. My downpipe wasn't that bad either but overall the new system really helped the seat of the pants dyno. So far a solid 1 mpg improvement but its hard to keep my foot out of it. It has turned a few heads. (I think my improvement may have been so good because of the dirty soot trap).

Side note: The muffler shop would not remove the soot trap but would install new system without one (technicallity). IMHO After 60,000 miles or so maybe sooner I really think the soot trap does more harm than good for emissions! Driving over to the shop with just a downpipe was fun. The turbo really whistled and it was not too too loud. I would have liked to leave it like that.

sturgeon-phish
07-19-2005, 17:27
Thanks. Saving up for a system now.
Jim

Herman_Bolger
07-20-2005, 19:26
We installed a 4" system from ss diesel supply, it fits but it's tight. Took a couple minutes to get clearances all around pipe. You need to fab your owns hangers, thiers do not line up with factory locations.